Too Much Portable Electronics?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Feb 2, 2011.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

:D

So far I have:
    Samsung i907 Smartphone
    Samsung N120 Netbook
    Samsung SL40 Camera
    Samsung S2 Portable Hard Drive
    Samsung SE-S084 Portable DVDRW Drive
    Samsung R480 Laptop
    And finally a generic Android tablet. Don't worry, I will be getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab. :D Hehe

Too much? Yes? No? :p

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Too much, NetB. You should get rid of the portable DVDRW drive. Your laptop already has a DVD drive which you can use to put anything on your netbook (via networking or external memory source).

Just kidding! :)

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

*Yikes*

Lessee, I'm keeping my post to what I carry out to the world everyday:

1 Palm Treo 680
    1 Palm Zire 31
    1 Motorola L7 SLVR
    1 3.5" laptop HDD turned into external HDD
    1 Compaq M2015LA laptop + assorted accessories
    1 HP digital camera

I can't reduce two Palm devices to one, cause either offers conveniences that the other doesn't. The HDD is kept on NTFS, thus allowing to behave as a FAT32 HDD cannot. Speaking of phone numbers, for any practical case, my office phone number is, say, a decoration in my business card. I never use it and nobody calls me there. What I do use, for both personal, job, and independent occupational projects, is two PAYG cellphones. And it's two, mostly because my carrier assigns different offers & promotions to either. As long as I can take advantage of these offers, I *really* do not need a fixed line. And, as much as I like my Treo, I gotta admit that in the cellphone side of life, it's actually tough to beat that Moto cellphone. It's perhaps the best cellphone I've ever owned.

Assorted accessories for my laptop, well that means almost half of the weight of the very laptop, added as accessories :D I think that I gotta save to purchase a newer laptop.

4. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

If it works for you, why change?

That said, I have to do a bit of pruning myself; the hx4700 and PowerBook G3 are just collecting dust. I doubt they'll sell at this point, though.

What doesn't help is that I'm also looking to upgrade from my E-295C after the semester's over...if there's something in my budget with dedicated graphics that won't be immediately obsoleted this year. The Fujitsu T901 is promising, but likely to exceed US$2,000-an amount I wouldn't spend even on a desktop.

5. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I currently Have:

My Acer Netbook (Bluestar)
    Vx9200 "Smart"*coughdumb*phone
    Nintendo DS Lite
    External Hard Disk (For home backups)
    Pa1mone Lifedrive (Use occasionally)
    4GB Flash Disk (For school and etc.)

6. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Apparently I travel light by BH standards. :D

On any given day, I only carry my Motorola Motozine, which, I believe, is a close cousin to Hal's SLVR. I sometimes carry the Aceeca but don't need it all the time.

I bought the 'Zine because I wanted the camera, which was about as good as could be had at the time so I only carry my old Canon compact when I know I will definitely need it. The 'Zine also has a decent music player/FM receiver and also has a decent PIM suite. The browser is, unsurprisingly, almost useless.

Except for some newer models with 8mp cameras, the only way up photographically would be a Nokia N8. Certainly so because only Nokia builds a device with more than a perfunctory camera. If anybody knows of anything else, please let me know.

Other than the N8, since I'm so picky about photos, I would just pick a smartphone based on the rest of its feature set and buy an ultracompact P&S. I discovered a Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS in Walmart that is about as compact and smooth a pocket device as I've ever seen. Smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

NB, you must carry a big backpack!

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

@Hal, I'm sure your meant 2.5 in hard drive. The 3.5 in variety weighs as much as a laptop and is intended for use in those old fashioned "mini tower" computers that were actually like toaster ovens stood up on one end.

When I leave home, I carry:
    100% iPhone 4
    80% Samsung Renown (work issued)
    80% Dell Latitude E6400 (work issued)
    10%-20% iPad (can get away using iPhone 4 more than I thought)
    5%-Canon SX 110 digicam (I mostly use the iPhone for family photos now)
    2%-Canon EOS T1i (only for special occasions)

0% Acer Aspire One (on its way to ebay when I get a round tuit)
    0% iPod Touch (folded into the iPhone and passed on to #1 son)
    0% Macbook (no need when I can carry the iPad for note taking)

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I own too many portable electronic devices and take too many on trips. When I leave home for the day, it's just me and my TP2. Sometimes I bring my Acer Aspire One netbook, but rarely. When I travel, it's with the family on vacation. I bring my TP2, 755p, TX, iPod Touch, Acer Aspire One netbook, Kodak Playsport camcorder, Nikon D40X SLR, various chargers, cables, external batteries, enough portable HDs to kill a horse, an assortment of flash drives, SD cards, microSD cards, various headphones, and a note from my doctor for pain killers. I need help.

9. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

And as I read your post I see that you're totally right, the 2.5 in HDD is somewhere around the size of a Palm device, and in front of me I do have a 3.5 HDD, encased in an external box, and totaling a size about a quart of milk box :p Yes, in fact barely smaller than a bread toaster :D and it indeed came from a mini tower. Mini is just an euphemism. Man, it's just about ten years ago when the workstation towers were mainstream, and now my mom has a netbook that fits into a FranklinCovey binder...

And I thought I had a pathology with carrying around. Cause I'm just enlisting my IT life gadgets, but I think I'm not reaching your level, jig, not even adding pocket knives, a mini ratchet driver, folding pliers, two engineering manuals, the proverbial ring binder (don't ask about that), assorted electrical instruments, a box with office goodies, spare eyeglasses, enough writing instruments to fulfill a Junior High School kid's list, and a two-way radio.

Well, such is life on this side of the mirror. LandSurveyor, how did you manage to downsize that much? :D

10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

When you spend as much time hiking in the swamps as I do, you pare down as much as possible. Really, nothing but the phone would do me much good in the field. The handheld that goes with the GPS is pretty sizeable but it runs WM 6.5 and if we did need a browser, it's got one.

Since in heavy cover, GPS gets slow, we reinterpret it as Gettin' Paid to Sit. It's then that I pull out the Aceeca when I have it and do some reading. Getting a full smartphone would bring me back down to one again. :)