Too big for me

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by mkwart, Feb 16, 2013.

1. mkwart

mkwart Newbie

The newest amazing phones are just too big for me. I would welcome suggestions for the most powerful android phone in a smaller package.
    My present phone measures 2.2 x 4.33 inches (5.5 x 11 cm). I am willing to go larger, but not as large as the Galaxy S2 or S3.
    Thanks, I will appreciate your comments.
    Mo
  2. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

I'm with you there - my Nexus One was the perfect size. My Galaxy Nexus is ungainly.

Mi An Endogame

Tough to find decent power in smaller packages. I'd recommend looking at the Galaxy S3 mini (4" screen) and the Motorola Razr M (a little larger, but very tightly packaged). See here. pdadb is a great site for comparing sizes, you can compare a bunch of models and keep the comparison page bookmarked for future reference.

Keep in mind the GS4 mini could be out by summer. I keep hoping that eventually the market will correct for the endless upsizing and we might start seeing high end hardware on the smaller side again. But there aren't a lot of reasons to be hopeful just yet.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    jigwashere likes this.
  4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

True. It is hard to stuff power in small packages, which is why we don't see V6s and V8s in Yaris sized cars, or i7s on netbooks and quad core processors in small smartphones.

If you can't wait for the Galaxy S4 Mini, there is the Galaxy S3 Mini, or the HTC Desire X. There are also some various Sony options like the Xperia S. I would top most recommend also the HTC One S and the Droid RAZR M, the latter I think is top of its class, simply RAZR M if international or the RAZR i, which is the same phone but has an Intel chip on it.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Happy to disagree with you amiably, but I just wanted to clarify for everyone else that we are disagreeing given that the first word of your post coming right after mine might have led some to conclude otherwise.

It is, at the very least, no harder to put cutting edge mobile chipsets in a 3.7-4" phone than it was 3 years ago, and is likely much less difficult. As to the new battery demands, those are being driven by 1) LTE and 2) by the increased screen size/res/drain on larger phones more than anything else. Quad cores don't require more space than dual cores, and indeed, they're increasingly prioritizing battery tech to make up for display drain. Chipsets are more than doing their part to keep the whole package small. Users, by and large, simply want larger screens to interact with. It's not technically difficult to pull off, it's just not as in demand as it once was.

I'm not a car guy, but offhand I'd compare the yaris to an HP veer, not an iPhone 5 (the size of 'mini' androids these days). And lots of overpowered sports cars strike me as being pretty small.
    RickAgresta likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Are you locked into Android? Because the HTC 8X (Windows Phone), the Blackberry Z10, and the iPhone 5 all deliver flagship-style specs but are all in the 4.0-4.2" range.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Volkswagen R32 and the BMW 135i would like a word :) (Yes I know the 135i is a straight six, not a V6).

With smartphones, just like with cars, the reason we don't see big power in small packages is marketing/sales, not engineering.
    RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  8. mkwart

mkwart Newbie

Thanks for all of the thoughtful answers. I will look at the phones mentioned. I may try to stretch my existing phone a few more months in order to benefit from a few new options. It makes sense to me that the Mini Galaxy would sell. If it actually does, they might have considered turning it into a sports car. I assume that I am not alone.
    I am pleased with Android and do not want to start changing everything again. A powerful phone the size of the iPhone would probably have a lot of customers.
    Best,
    Mo
  9. weegie

weegie Newbie

I would suggest the Galaxy SII [i9100] before the S3 mini, it's only a couple of mm bigger in length and width, is thinner, has better specs, a bigger screen, a better screen [RGB], a better camera, it's quite an unimposing device to handle or have in a pocket because it's soo thin and light plus still has legendary popularity, meaning support, mods and accessories.
    Also, one is ugly, and the other isn't, imo of course ;)
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Evangelist

Mitlov, it sounds like you and I have similar tastes in cars. Have you seen the new Euro-only M135i hatchback? Sweet. The VR6 is almost inline as well (a very narrow-angle V6 with staggered cylinders). Two of them together make up the 'W12' in the Bentley, etc.
    Mitlov likes this.
  11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I actually prefer sedans and coupes to hatchbacks, personally, because they offer better security for transporting my shotgun (for trap shooting) and less noise in the passenger compartment when transporting my fencing gear. I also like the lines of a coupe or sedan, though that's totally subjective. I definitely would drool over the M135i coupe.

Though they're a bit pricey for me...my 8th-gen Civic Si offers a focused, driver-oriented experience (and a superb high-revving powerband and precise six-speed manual) at a price tag that was a LOT easier to swallow.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013