To dither, or not to dither?

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by jigwashere, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I record TV shows using Windows XP MCE and MCEBuddy converts them to DivX format to watch on my TX and/or 755p using TCPMP. Every now and then, I notice some color washout in the background, so checked 'Dither colors' in preferences. That seems to have improved things. I'm confused, though. Doesn't dithering colors reduce the number of colors? Why would turning it on improve the video? Is there something I should be doing differently when converting videos?

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I don't know much about it, but the nature of the solution may not be in the available palette, but in the resources demanded to the system. You reduce the colors number, you request less work from the processor, and thus the playback performs better. That, totally omitting the conversion job at your desktop, I'm just talking about the mobile device. Would that be a reason?

3. Haisook

Haisook Med Student

Since the highest-end Palm devices have a display capable of producing only 65 thousand colors (color palette), videos - that have millions of colors - will not appear as rich in colors as they do on a computer monitor.

From Wikipedia:

So dithering simply substitutes the colors that the Palm display can't show with an approximated color that can be shown, making the overall image much closer to the original one.

I personally use dithering in Coreplayer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.