TMobile prepaid on regular plan?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Does anybody know if a T-Mobile prepaid phone can be simply fitted with a regular SIM? They are coming out with a Nokia messaging phone that appeals to me which might be a good stopgap device until I can make up my mind about which smartphone/carrier combination I will choose.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

sorry, I don't know, but I do think it's a very good question.

3. LandSurveyor

Rick, I got us an answer.
    And it was really hard....

I called the store. :eek:

It's one of those Yes, but.... things.

You have to buy the phone and have it activated with a prepaid SIM.

Then you can simply replace it with your existing SIM.

Seems silly but if it works, OK.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

thanks, LS. there is a certain degree of logic, there...

5. LandSurveyor

If you can figure it out, let me know. It really shouldn't cost anything extra because their prepaids normally come loaded with about $10 worth of minutes.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

LS, it's probably because T-Mo needs to account for the SIM that was purchased with the phone. Don't forget that prepaids are very popular among a, let's say, unsavory portion of the population as well, and to keep from running afoul of law enforcement T-Mobile may require activating the phone with the prepaid SIM so there's a record of it.

The phone itself doesn't need activating, just the SIM. And you could probably walk into a T-Mo store and the employee might decide to destroy the SIM and let you pop yours in instead, but the boilerplate explanation exists to cover T-Mo's butt.

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I worked for T-Mobile. Yes, it can be done. It is a breech of contract in one way or another, but nobody is going to come after you unless you go advertising it left and right.

Easy to do, and doesn't restart your upgrade eligibility. Tmobile just doesn't like it. ;)

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Why would buying/activating a prepaid 'burner' phone have anything to do with your upgrade eligibility? If I already have a TMobile phone and get a 'burner,' who's to know, even if the SIM needs to be activated in the store? What kind of info do they ask for to activate the SIM, especially if I pay cash?

9. LandSurveyor

That makes sense. It's really not even inconvenient, just odd.

I guess like QF says, it's just a way of covering themselves. It was the Tmo rep who told me that this is the way it could be done. My only previous prepaid experience (other than my son's Tmo phone) was a CDMA phone. I understand that these cannot be used as regular contract phones on the host's network but since they have no SIM, that's easier to understand.
    I'm just looking for a cheap temporary replacement handset.

I think drugthugs just give a phony name. I DO know that Big Brother watches these things because when I bought a prepaid online once, it could not be delivered without a(n adult) signature.

Doesn't explain how they handle the ones you can buy out of a vending machine at the bowling alley. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.