Tips for Default Symbian Apps/System

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by Antoine Wright, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Use Bluetooth Devices to Automatically Change Profile

Since I had an update to my N97 this AM, I needed to reconfigure a few things. One of those pieces that I needed to reset was my bluetooth headset (Jawbone Prime) to my device. Thing is, the way I had it before, I not only had the headset connect to my device, but I had it activate a custom profile too. Here's what I did to do this.

First, I paired the headset, making sure to set it to be an authorized connection (meaning that it would always connect automatically)

Second I created a custom profile.
    Go to Settings > Profiles
    Click Options > Create New Profile
    Configure all of the settings that you want (ring tones, touchscreen vibrations, etc.)
    Make sure to give it a name (else it will be named 'New Profile')

Third go to Settings > Phone > Accessories
    Under 'Headset' change the default profile to the one you just created
    Under 'Headphones' change the default profile to the one you just created

After that, just turn off your headset and then turn it back on. When you've turned it back on you will get two prompts, the first will say that your BT device is reconnected, the second will say that the profile has changed.

I do this because it makes it easy to have a headset profile that works well whether I'm in the office (and don't need ringtones blaring) or in the car and don't want to fiddle with the mobile to see who is calling/messaging. And with the built-in voice calling piece, I can get a call/message, ignore it, and then simply speak into my headset to re-call the person. Never laying a hand on my mobile.

Best part is that this is built-in. 3rd party apps can customize profiles even more to give you even more options.

2. Antoine Wright

Set Timed Backups*

If you spend a lot of time on your mobile (like me), then you know the value of backing up your mobile's contents. And with the ability for Symbian devices to receive OTA (over-the-air) updates, it only makes sense to use this feature.

The built-in File Manager application has a Backup feature. Best part about it, is that you can set backups to occur at certain times, as well as set specific items to be backed up.

First what you can backup:
    • Everything (All)
    • Settings (Preferences, folder arrangements, etc.)
    • Messages (SMS, MMS, and emails that are in the Messaging application)
    • Contacts
    • Calender Entries
    • Bookmarks (from the built-in web browser only)
    • Files (as far as I can tell, this includes everything from Notes to Bookmarked Locations)

Second, how often you can back items up:
    • Never
    • Daily
    • Weekly

Now, you could choose Never, and do this as a one-time backup. But that kind of defeats the purpose right. Ideally, a weekly backup is best. Set it for a time when you are definitely not using your mobile (for example, I've got mine set for Weekly-Sunday-2AM).

After that, just sit back and let things backup. Depending on your model, you may get a prompt that asks which external memory area you'd like to backup to.

Downsides: there's no way to setup backup profiles, or set several types of backup. This is just a plain and simple function - but built-in - and another one of those gems within Symbian devices that's pretty neat.

*Note, this is a feature for Symbian^1 (S60v5) and later devices.

3. Antoine Wright

About Full Restores

Doing a full restore is good when you are simply doing a reformat of the entire device, or a reflash. In this case, restoring settings will have no adverse effects on your OS or applications because you are simply restoring the same structures.

When upgrading to a newer firmware version, one should not do a full restore because preferences - settings - are usually those areas that see the updates. There are optimizations in either the settings or the execution of their routines, and therefore restoring these over-top a newer firmware is almost sure to cause more problems than it solves.

I've only done one full wipe of my N97, and in that case I didn't do a restore as I was using the wipe/restore to clean out the device completely. So I ended up taking the better part of a weekend doing things such as reinstalling applications and their settings, re-adding contacts (easy), re-adding calendar items (nearly impossible; I changed a lot of old appointments to memos instead of being events), and reorganizing files, apps, folders, etc.

PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices are pretty similar to Symbian in this respect. Those settings/preferences can be nasty when going up a notch - but not so much when just restoring to the same state.

Discussion: Please use this thread to continue to discuss about this item.

4. Antoine Wright

Configuring Data Connections

On just about every Nokia device, and most of the later Samsung Symbian devices, there's an application called Settings Wizard (usually buried in the Settings area, but is sometimes found as an application stub under Applications).

For most carriers, this application will be able to read the data connectivity information from your SIM card's connection to the carrier, and then configure these settings on your device. Those carriers which are not covered by this app (there are less than a handful probably), you can get those settings from your carrier, and then manually input them into the Settings > Connectivity area of the device.

5. Antoine Wright

Automatically Connecting to Wi-Fi Networks

Within Symbian devices, there's an easy way to connect to Wi-Fi networks. You simply need to enable Wi-Fi scanning. Depending on your device, there are one or two parts to this:

For those with Symbian S60 3.2 and earlier devices:
    • You will want to enable the Wi-Fi scanning in on the homescreen (Active Screen). This will continually search for Wi-Fi access points around your device whether you've previously connected to them or not.
    • Then, you will want to go to Settings (or Tools > Settings) > Connectivity > Wi-Fi and set the Wi-Fi scanning to "On" and then set the scanning interval. Setting this to 10min is as infrequent as you can have it, and for most devices, this does not put a significant drain on the battery.

For those with Symbian^1 (S60v5) and later devices:
    • You will want to either go directly to Settings > Connectivity, or click the battery-indicator side of the status bar at the top-right of your screen. If you are already connected to a data network, you will see a solid double arrow. Click on the double arrow and this will take you to Connectivity.
    • Wi-Fi and set the Wi-Fi scanning to "On" and then set the scanning interval. Setting this to 10min is as infrequent as you can have it, and for most devices, this does not put a significant drain on the battery.

After this point, you don't need to do a thing. Your mobile will swap between Wi-Fi and cellular networks seamlessly - with a Wi-Fi icon showing in the status area when you are connected to a Wi-Fi access point.

In most cases, you want to keep your cellular data network at the very bottom of the list since that would essentially serve as a last-resort connection. This will also ensure that you aren't using cellular data by accident since when its activated, you'd notice that there's not a Wi-Fi icon in the status area next to the signal/battery levels.

Destinations/Access Point Priority Settings
    For those with Nokia's E-Series or any brands Symbian^1 devices, you want to make sure that you've saved the Wi-Fi access point into your Destinations list.

You will also want to make sure that any applications which access data services are set to use your main Destination (collection of access points). Its a good idea to just have one set of Destinations (I use the default 'Internet' one) and then make sure that all the apps that I use would just look to use that one. Some applications do not use the Destinations feature, and so you would need to choose which access point (Wi-Fi or cellular) that works best for your needs.

If you find that you are not going to use your cellular data at all, its a good idea to create a Destination and keep that one in there (some folks have two for data and MMS). And then set all of your apps to just use the Destinations collection that doesn't have your cellular access point in the list.

6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Don't know how generalizeble this tip is beyond the 5800 XM and S60v5 (Symbian^1), but here is a way to make the default Nokia Notes app more useful.

It's from another thread.

Please post further discussion in the original thread. :)

7. mpaja

mpaja Mobile Enthusiast

Using C7 as flashlight: hold the screen unlock button for 2 secs and the led turns on.

8. Antoine Wright

Use the Built In SyncML support to add a second Google Account to Sync

Follow the instructions here to use the built in Sync app and add a second Google account to sync to your Symbian mobile.

This feature allows you to have the Mail for Exchange app for an enterprise or single Google account, and then add a second to sync to the device.