Time to upgrade. Note 20 Ultra is my hopeful plan...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by headcronie, Aug 9, 2020.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Once, one of my younger brothers connected his guitar amplifier to the audio input in my computer, back when standalone audio cards were the rage. My PC had a SoundBlaster card. I don't remember the model but it costed about 200 dollars. Just a few chords into the first song, and the card input blew out. Some other damage was done, because after that the audio would sound distorted at high volumes. I think impedances weren't matched and the amp fed too much power to the card. Metallica must have had something to do with it too :D

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Distributed speaker systems are usually 70 volts.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

[​IMG]

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Does Mrs HC not want to use Bluetooth headsets? Personally I recommend Aftershockz for running, since they leave your ears open for listening to what's around you while you enjoy your music...

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

If you're wanting to go bluetooth for very little investment, I highly recommend the ENACFIRE E60 earbuds:

https://amzn.to/2Fxx6pF

They're IPX8, BT 5.0, 8-hour battery in the earbuds, 40-hour battery in the charge case, case charges via USB-C or Qi wireless, AptX, dual mics, rather small, stay put in the ears with 4 different sizes of ear pieces, come in 5 different colors (with the case the same color), and sound pretty darn good with my Moto G Stylus. $40 on Amazon, but currently have a 20% off checkbox coupon which brings them down to $32.

6. headcronie

At this point, if it isn't attached by a cable, it's fair game to end up in the land of mismatched socks. :D

7. headcronie

I'm of the same mindset. However, my Note 8 is soon EOL. With the sale that they had going on these devices, and pending I actually use my device for the 4 years we're supposed to get out of them, our 20 Ultras break down to $200 per year acquisition cost. At that price, I really couldn't pass it up. The loss of the headphone jack sucks. The device manufacturers know that all these changes equate to more $$ for them. Samsung / Apple will be happy to sell you overpriced BT headsets. Please step up to the counter and have your payment ready. You want financing for your phone and headsets? *belly laugh* But of course... we'll do that too... They aren't dumb. It's a cash cow.

It doesn't mean that I'll subscribe to it. A $12 dongle is cheaper... pending I don't blow it up, or it doesn't get lost. :eek:

Hook, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Completely understood. But seriously, if you're stuck on a gift sometime for her, I can't recommend these enough for safety reasons: https://aftershokz.com/us/?gclid=Cj...tlSn_PX524vlmqjCBmoGb8ZX06BzGeFBoC3pEQAvD_BwE

I wear them anytime I go out for a run or when I would go climbing in the gym (in the before times) because you could hear cars coming easily, and in the gym I could hear if a friend was yelling tips or if the belayer needed to communicate to me.

Maybe it's from years of running at 530am, but I am a big advocate of either no headphones or open ear headphones while running for safety reasons.

9. headcronie

I'll certainly keep that in mind. She is certainly worthy of investing in. :)

10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Wow, those are nice. Luckily (for my wallet) I'm in the no earphones camp. I use my 4 mile power walks (kinder to the knees) to think... usually about what I'm writing. It becomes a kind of meditation as I fall into rhythm.

But those are seriously nice earphones!