Three cheers for T3 modders

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mi An, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Last winter, when I was trying to decide what to upgrade to, the Brighthand Tungsten forums almost persuaded me to buy a T|T3 off ebay and get into modding it. Those modding threads, found via google, are also the reason I joined brighthand.

The monster battery threads stretching into endless numbers of pages, full of tips and diagrams to extend the life of the T3 to something reasonable (and sometimes far beyond reasonable) nearly won me over, and you guys deserve some attention (even though I went with the TX instead :) )

Hall of mods:

Snickersmd's T3X IN PROGRESS, internal wifi

Junglemike's 1700 mah Ipod battery upgrade
    Junglemike's Fullpower thread
    ugogiuliani2's 7200 mah monster battery
    ugogiuliani2's 1700 mah ipod battery mod
    Snicker's upgrades
    stpaloma's 1520 mah upgrade
    wolfRx's 1500 mah upgrade
    grahamnind's 2500 mah mod

There are, of course, many other detailed stories inside those threads, and their authors also deserve kudos, and there were probably some upgrade threads I never read (post links below and I'll add them). But the many pictures explaining your creative engineering, nips and tucks, tips, and helpful pointers have changed the way I look at handhelds. Now when I come across a feature that should have been, I at least ask myself if maybe it still could be. In fact, even after I started leaning towards the TX, I began hunting to see if I could address some of its shortfalls with a little DIYing, and I gave my m500 enough life to stay around until it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Never say die... \_/ cheers.

[​IMG]

I would like to add links to as many modding threads/posts as I can. Any links are welcome, self-promotion is even encouraged. Links posted below will be added to this post for posterity (As well as other googlers looking for modding resources).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Prince Albert

Prince Albert Jedi Bassist

Make that four cheers. And one to you too, Mi An, for posting this. I've got an 1100 mah battery on its way because I did what you almost did - a T3 from Ebay. These lunatics around here gave me the confidence to do a little surgery, and now I'm a soon-to-be mad scientist *cue maniacal laughter*.

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Wooooohhaaaahhhaaaaoooo....
    <air freezing from the maniacal laugh ...>

Errrmm ... exactly who did you call a lunatic ? Sure you were not looking into a mirror :rolleyes:

Go for it, as said before, it is not that difficult, the rewards are fabulous :D

Mi An,
    I think you also forgot grahamnind in the hall of fame (there might be some others but his name popped into mind when looking at your post).
    JM is not seen around here anymore that frequently, snickersmd is MIA as far as I know ... :(

4. Prince Albert

Hee hee hee......"Lunatic" in the most positive sense of the word, Holvy. Besides, I've learned so much from you guys, what does that make ME????

5. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

I know, I know, that was how I was looking at it :)

You are IMHO 'on a distinguished road' to become a lunatic yourself and a Palm geek but most importantly, the ONE who managed to control Win XP Media Edition successfully :D

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I just saw JM in a paypal thread in OT, but you're right, I don't see him often. I don't think snickers has been around at all since I joined, but I remember a lot of people were pretty excited about his battery supply.

I have added the best link I could find to grahamnind's mod above, and more submissions (or better links) are always welcome. Thanks for the head's up.

It's exciting, isn't it? Being told "here is what is availible, if you don't like it, stick it", and then looking back into the cold dead eyes of the man, and saying "wanna bet?" :)

I'm about to start my own TX microphone mod. I opted for an external one since it is still under warranty, and because I like the look, but it's still nice to know that I can have the handheld I want, even if no one's willing to make it for me. I had another mod in mind once, and even though I didn't opt to undertake it, I did learn a lot about my handheld in the process of studying it, and even told a couple of in-the-know vets some things they did not know about the TX. That always feels nice.

Good luck modding. [​IMG]

7. Prince Albert

I've gotta search those forums, Holvy - I CAN'T be the only one. Besides, I still need to figure out how to convert recorded Win XP MediaCtr TV to TCPMP-compatible format. Then I'll be happy(er).
    It IS rather nice to be able to stick it to the man, Mi An. Seems like there should be nice cushy Tech Support/modder jobs for us at Palm, too....

8. collumb

collumb Mobile Evangelist

Let me know if you figure out how to do that conversion. I would be really interested to transfer some shows to my palm for off line viewing.

9. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Hey, that's nice collection of mods. Didn't know that those threads (and especially pictures) survived for that long.
    Anyway, if anybody wants - i have some 5-6 more battery (and other) mods. They are sitting on my hard drive just in case. Since I can now attach pictures real easy with upgraded forum - (in the past - i could only use 400x400 pix)- this will be easy to post those mods.

i have 9000mah external battery mode (2 years ago :) - didn't update my sig nature since, another battery inside the cradle mod, custom made PowerToGo from AA's, and others.

10. Prince Albert

.....and just when I think I've got the whole 'Mad Scientist' thing down, junglemike shows up!
    Collumb, what I'm considering is recording incoming cable to DVD-RW and then to a Palm-friendly format via Pocket DVD Wizard or Pocket DVD Studio. I know it's kinda around-your-elbow etc, but I have a feeling it's not gonna be easy otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.