Thoughts on the Google Nexus Event

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Hook, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I'm *hoping* we'll get some official coverage of this. I managed to watch the Verge feed while multi-tasking. A few comments.

Marshmallow looks interesting-- Lollipop is finally out of beta.

I think it is completely whack that the Nexus 5X starts at 16Gb and tops at 32Gb. Not paying $400-$500 for a 32GB or less phone with no memory slot anymore. Dead in the water as far as I'm concerned.

I am lusting after the 128GB 6P (of course, like Apple and everyone else, Google is overcharging for internal memory). It won't happen soon-- need to save up-- but this may be my next phone, depending on reviews. Christmas? Maybe Father's day? :vbrolleyes:

And now Google has it's own version of Apple Care. 2 years including accident protection. They overnight a new unit while you send yours in.

New app permission model where you don't have to agree to permissions whole hog when you download, but apps ask for permissions they need when they go to use them. Not sure how exactly this works from the sketchy information on the blog. Presumably you could have an app with some functions (the ones whose permissions you allow) and not other functions, but I'm just guessing here.

EDIT: Just noticed something that went by me before. Neither of the new phones has wireless charging. That's a disappointment, but hopefully the Type-c USB will make things faster and easier. I use wireless charging almost exclusively on my Nexus 5.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

That IS ridiculous. I always hated the trend of devices having fewer and fewer expansion slots, but a supposedly flagship device capped at 32 GB--of which you can bet at least 5-6 GB is going to be taken by "system memory"--is particularly annoying.

I'm actually planning on upgrading to a Galaxy S5 specifically to avoid that (as well as the "no removable battery" problem), scorning the S6 and anything else until I have to.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

THIS is much overdue. I'm still never certain when I download an app, "Does it need microphone permissions JUST because it can take voice notes, or does it want to listen to everything I say?"

4. Hook

I'd love to have an sd slot (removable battery is nice but not as much of a priority), but as much as I love my Tab S, as long as there are good Nexus devices with unlockable bootloaders, I will never suffer another Samsung device. I'm pretty strictly a Nexus guy. :vbwink:

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Will these new phones with with Project Fi?

6. Hook

Yes. Both.

jigwashere likes this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

IF the Nexus 6P handles the heat of the 810 okay, and IF the camera is as good as they promise, I want one. But those are two big "ifs."

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I agree that the lack of a microSD on the 5X is a shame. But the price is impressive...and I love love love the blue color.

Of course, I've been banned by Mrs QF from even CONSIDERING a new phone until we've paid off my HTC One through Verizon, so we'll see where prices sit in March. My plan is to pay outright for my next phone, so the 5X in 32GB or the Moto X Style are my likely choices.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  9. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

The Nexus 5X is intriguing, but not enough for me to replace my Nexus 5. I am a little worried on the camera with no image stabilization. The cap at 32 GB doesn't bother me. I do hope they protected the camera lens cover better. On my first Nexus 5 I cracked it when it fell (before my case came in). My Nexus 5 has 32, and I've not filled it (mainly because I stream music and video). It looks like they kept the coating on the 5X. Does anyone know if this is true? The upside is if my Nexus 5 died, I now know what its replacement would be.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces