Thoughts on Android Oreo 8.x

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by headcronie, Apr 4, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Just a few of my musings since my Note 8 was upgraded to 8.0.

I understand the intent to be more transparent and notify you of things you might not be aware of. The notification about 'x' app displaying transparently over your screen is great to have especially if you don't have knowledge of an app doing so. However, if you knowingly have an app that runs at all times, that is trusted to do so, this notification gets ever more obnoxious. Rather than give the option to silence the notification for this app, you are only offered the option to silence this category of notification. Thus, negating the entire premise of the notification. That is just dumb. I should be able to approve this app, and not hear of it again. I should be notified if another unapproved app throws up a transparent overlay though. Ugh. So much for forward progress.

This next portion, is a Samsung only grumble. I've had a Samsung account since my Note 2. It backs up and restores SMS, call logs, calendar, contacts, etc. Now on 8.0, it is nagging me day in and day out to grant Samsung new access to my device, where it can do what it wants with my private data. WTH? And saying Decline only makes the notification go away for a few hours. Take my NO and shove it where the sun doesn't shine! :mad:

Screenshot_20180404-110349_Samsung Experience Service.jpg Screenshot_20180404-110256_Samsung Experience Service.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

On AOSP, rather than TouchWiz, I can go into Settings/ apps&notifications/app notifications and select a specific app and turn off notifications for just that app. Maybe that's too global even for one app.

If you don't see this option, hard to know if that's because I'm on 8.1, because I'm on an alternative ROM or because I'm not on Samsung.

3. headcronie

Good thinking. Seems as though it is not an app, but part of the Samsung Experience, which controls icon badges, and other aspects of the TouchWiz experience. Truly disappointing...

Attached Files:

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

If it is truly TouchWiz related, would a different launcher, such as Nova, give you what you'd like, hc?

jigwashere, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sounds like TouchWiz is less wizard and more whiz (i.e. Calvin photos.) :vbrolleyes:

jigwashere, headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  6. headcronie

I plan on stopping by my local BestBuy and heading to the Samsung rep. Will see what comes of it...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.