Thoughts - inspired by iPod Nano

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wailly, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Mobile Deity

I would of course play with that functionality as well, however I don't know if I would use it in the long run.

Now we just have to convince the carriers that normal people like us exist. And are normal.

And perhaps a bit redundant. And we repeat ourselves.

2. purepalmer

purepalmer Uh... What did you say?

...hundreds of times, and maybe they will lower data prices...:D

3. Polychrome

Polychrome ...has a lightsaber

Oddly enough, the use of a data cable to transfer things to and from my PC was one of the few things I *could* get my old phone to do, and hasn't been disabled on Sprint's prepaid service, Virgin Mobile. However, I could not use it as a modem. Data was completely disabled for anything outside their "xtras", so there was no way it would let me dial out. Of course, this was years ago, so I believe things have changed.

On the other hand, some Sprint people did admit to me that they personally do use infrared with their phones to use them as modems, and Virgin only recently unlocked data access for things other than "Virgin Xtras", so as far as PCS goes, Sprint may be the way to go.

Of course, for finding a bluetooth phone for sprint, you're stuck with ebay. The selection isn't exactly huge, though there's some slider phone by LG that looks somewhat promising.

Anywho, there's nothing out there that really impresses me right now, so I'll remain waiting patiently. I don't use my cell often enough to warrant putting myself on a plan, so I'll continue sticking with virgin (sprint prepaid) for now, as I only have to pay 20 bucks every three months depending on how I manage my minutes. I don't care what anyone says... That ain't bad at all!

4. zire102001

zire102001 Mobile Deity

convergence doesn't always mean more items, it also means more companies combining and that leads to higher prices because there are few and fewer competition...Which convergence is okay, until it gets way out of hand and nobody stops it, IE: government, cities, and states, and the whole country basically.. oh and also less competition equals more monopolies..is what i mean..;)

5. purepalmer

purepalmer Uh... What did you say?

:confused: Can you repeat that?:confused:

6. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

What Zire102001 means is if there are more companies making versions of the same thing then they will be trying to make their product cheaper than anyone else's - which means the prices will be as low as possible. If fewer companies are making versions of the same thing then there is less competition to make a cheaper product and their prices start to go up. :)

7. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

And to support Nine's (and Zire102001's) excellent explanation ...
    [​IMG]

8. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Mobile Deity

This is the problem nowadays. It used to be when there was competition some people would make things cheaper, but a lot of people would make things better.

Nowadays people only care about how many dollars total rather than how much value per dollar.

9. HD_Boy

HD_Boy Mobile Enthusiast

Pretty much true IMHO - worked for 16yrs in R+D at Intel ------------ Apple at least attempts to make products for people not the "industry" - and that costs a bit more (engineering) as opposed to whacking out industry widgets like PCs' and XPee

After trying 3 - 4 MP3 players on my PC running XPee I really was about to abandon them as too much of a hassle --- then I moved from PCs to Macs (glad) and thought I would try an iShuffle ---- TA-DA --- now I get it ------- vastly superior programming on the iTunes software and how it SEAMLESSLY works with the Shuffle --- I now understand the "iPod revolution".

My take is that if Palm fails (which I believe is inevitable due to its lack of innovation and leadership) --- Apple will INSTANTLY step into the void with new iPods that do PDA functions. -- Probably already running in the Apple labs

Article in several Health Sites today: PDA's Set To Play Major Role In Future Health Care

I've been a Palm user for 10yrs ---- their recent lack of leadership - innovation - quality ------- mark them as doomed --------- and they could have led in that coming revolution

10. HD_Boy

HD_Boy Mobile Enthusiast

Thats only part of the equation ----

If more companies make products like widget A - they all benefit from high volume production of the parts that go into widget A "like" devices -- competition between parts vendors drive parts prices down -- equals cheaper products --- this model drives the PC industry

Companies that go for widget B (for whatever reasons) may get some price breaks from widget A parts - but in general will have higher costs of base parts

If widget A is a PC and widget B is a Mac --- that explains part of the cost delta between the two.

And believe me - I've sat in meeting rooms at Intel for hours arguing over a 1.5 cent ( one and a half pennies) cost increase to a PC part ------ its that tight a budget.

So widget A is a value for consumers --- but it also makes any changes (innovation / evolution) very painful as any change causes huge ripples accross several industries

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.