Thinking about switching to an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 30, 2016.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oh, I was just marking the event calendar-wise. I wished at the time that my iPhone 5 had come with it, too. I had to wait until my next upgrade (to iPhone 6) to benefit. :vbsmile:

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I can easily see how my question could have been seen as being snarky…I like Mitlov's interpretation a great deal, to be honest :vbwink:

lelisa13p, r0k and scjjtt like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I have cheapo 3rd party VR googles that I use with my Nexus 6, and I'm blown away by it. The tech is rather impressive. I can only imagine what the real deal like Gear VR or Oculus Rift is like.

lelisa13p, r0k, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Not that it matters, and not that they were exactly first, but for the purposes of trivia, the first smartphone I ever recall with a fingerprint sensor was somewhere in the 2008-2010 timeframe after Acer bought eten and launched, among other things, a Touch Pro2 competitor (I think they might have beaten the TP2 to market, but it was still obvious that HTC, then the dominant Windows Mobile company, was the target of the device). The cool thing about it was the fingerprint sensor did double duty, both as a biometric security and as a sort of optical dpad. I wouldn't be surprised if eten itself had already launched this feature on pre-acer acquisition phones, nor would I be surprised if another company had, but I'd welcome other's recollections of earlier inclusions of the feature.

lelisa13p, r0k, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

They copied it from your friendly local police station, who only lets you make your phone call AFTER they book you (which yes, includes fingerprinting).

lelisa13p, r0k and jigwashere like this.
  6. r0k

r0k Dazed

For all intents and purposes, Samsung STILL doesn't offer fingerprint reading (that's considered "good enough" by our IT people). Even if it did, I'd stick with iPhone because I prefer the iOS experience.

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

rOk, I totally agree with you. I always have to look at - what works for me. Yes, maybe newer Android phones would work better at your work, but the iPhones do work! You mentioned that the people who work there basically all have iPhones (there must be a reason). Your IT supports the iPhones hassle free. It just makes sense - plus you like the iOS of Apple. It seems like this is a no brainer - iPhones work for you at your work and will work for you everywhere else too (unless you run out of battery and you can't put a spare battery in ).

There is always going to be plus and minuses with our decisions. I believe that these devices are suppose to make our life easier - not harder. These devices should serve us, not visa versa.

Many years ago I said that Apple found a way to make things available to the general public that before only the technology advanced were able to do. I believe I was right. The iTunes store was just taking off - I said that most people would rather shell out a few dollars to download a movie rather than do all the things I had to do to put a movie on my Palm TX. Yes, Google and Android have caught up, but Apple, IMO, pioneered making advance technology available to the public.

Enjoy your phone and hopefully a simpler technology life at work!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

r0k and lelisa13p like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Didn't the Atrix have a fingerprint scanner first?

Mi An likes this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I think that would have been a couple years after Acer. But maybe the first Android?

10. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Got to try the Samsung VR gear myself, and I had to admit that blew my mind too.

Mitlov, r0k and jigwashere like this.