Thinking about switching to an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 30, 2016.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yah, BBQ sauce works wonders on a wide range of foods, ime :vbgrin:

r0k, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

What's more, by going the extra distance you help BH remain a lively place. Imagine what forlorn place this would be if everybody was cautious, purchased things rationally, and in general followed common sense :D

r0k, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 5 others like this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I was just at Best Buy for something else I needed ("LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga" for my kids is a need, not a want, you see) and I played around at the Samsung kiosk they have there. A few conclusions:

(1) Galaxy S7 is a "just the right size for me" size. Also checked out the S7 Edge, but the S7 definitely fit my hand better.

(2) Dear lawd that screen is gorgeous. Really truly unbelievable.

(3) Some reviewers have complained that the screen is oversensitive to touch, but I thought it was just right.

(4) The camera performance (both in speed and quality) is just plain remarkable. And camera performance is a big deal to me, since I primarily rely on smartphones to take pictures of my kids.

(5) Gear VR blew my mind. The 3D push of 2010-2012ish always felt a bit gimmicky to me, but Gear VR felt like the future. I know that sounds silly to say, and I was trying to be cynical, but I really just felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I want one.

r0k, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Well it's done. My Samsung GS4 now sits at the bottom of a drawer and I've got a base model iPhone 6 for work. So what if the IT guys insist on locking it every 30 seconds? All I need is my thumb. No more 6 digits PLUS "Ok" just to see where my next meeting is being held. Installing our IT software on Android is about 357 steps and can take 45-90 minutes. On iOS? I was up and running in under 20 steps and less than 5 minutes. I was so happy to be rid of that GS4 I quickly erased it back to factory settings. I noticed another annoyance. No hardware mute button. The only way from keeping a Samsung phone from making phone during a reset is to use a shotgun. The entire setup process on the new iPhone was carried on in complete silence. There was some frustration for the first few hours as our corporate exchange settings had pushed noise and vibration settings to my iPhone that make it wiggle for every email, more than once a second. But I quickly found and silenced that bad behavior unlike GS4 where the only way I found to stop it from vibrating for every email was to prevent it from vibrating for incoming text messages. Go figure. And yes when I go looking for a case (since the company didn't provide one), I'll be able to find a pretty nice one pretty easily at a reasonable price.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'm glad to hear you're happier now, Jeff. the trick to no sound during a Galaxy reset (power off then power on; or a restart) is to mute system (or the whole phone) before plunging ahead w/ the reset/restart/power-up. for me, on my S3 or S5 or Tab 7, drag down the notification bar, and use the sound icon.

EDIT: oh, and the Galaxy S5 (and others of more recent vintage) also have fingerprint unlocking, fwiw. when was that introduced by Apple?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    r0k, lelisa13p, Mitlov and 2 others like this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Which, all things considered, is a downright terrible way of maintaining silence

r0k, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

To keep my SG4 from not making any sound when I reboot is just to hold the volume button down for a couple of seconds before turning it off or restarting the phone. I guess I never really thought that was too many steps, too difficult or a big inconvenience. Just sayin'....

Or, press 3 buttons on my Pebble Watch and my phone is muted and I never touched my phone - which works out great walking into a place that I should not have my phone make any sound (or for restarting the phone if I don't want to hear any sound).

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Same on my Galaxy S3. If you reduce volume to zero before rebooting (either with the volume rocker or on-screen slider), it won't make noise while rebooting.

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

iPhone 5S came with fingerprint ID (2013).

r0k and RickAgresta like this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

And regardless of who can shout "FIRST!!!", I think the point is that saying that in 2016, switching to Apple from Samsung because that way you can use a fingerprint to unlock misses the point that both companies in 2016 offer very refined fingerprint-to-unlock setups. I don't know that anyone was claiming that Samsung beat Apple to the punch with fingerprint sensors. Instead, I took it to mean simply that fingerprint sensors had been on Samsung phones for three generations and counting now.

I mean, if rOk prefers the user experience of the iPhone, great, more power to him, go for it. But when two of the examples he cites are things that a modern Samsung device can do that just as well (muted reboot, and fingerprint-to-unlock), people are going to point that out.

r0k, Hook and scjjtt like this.