Thinking about switching to an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 30, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

What do you have against a phone that's cartoonishly large in the hand? :confused: ;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    lelisa13p, Mi An and Mitlov like this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It's not as cheap as a Nexus, but if your criteria are "bigger than 5 inch" and "more than 16 gb storage," like mine are, I save $200 going Galaxy over iPhone.

And unlike a Nexus, I can do a two-year interest-free installment plan from my carrier instead of paying 100% up front (or eating credit card interest rates).

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Scott -- the ability to root is, unfortunately, sometimes just not there, depending on the phones carrier. Of late, both AT&T and Verizon have made it impossible, by locking down the bootloader so tightly that no exploit can be found. of course, an unlocked / unbranded version of the phone is a different story, if it works for the carrier of your choice. Otherwise, totally agree w/ your post. :vbwink:

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hold on a second. You came out swinging over 'carrier branding' just a day or so ago. Now you're flip-flopping and being wooed by the very issue you railed against? You feeling okay?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Nothing is constant except change, grasshopper :)

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Aaaaaaaaand in my post about the S7, the first thing I say is that I don't like that it won't get 3-4 years of guaranteed updates (because Samsung may no provide them and because US Cellular may delay them), but I like everything else about the phone SO MUCH more than a Nexus or iPhone option I'm thinking of letting those other things trump my displeasure about the update situation.

I like the installment payment aspect of carrier branding. I dislike the effect on timely software updates. There are upsides and downsides of carrier branding, and they're two different issues. I'm not being wooed "by the very issue I railed against"...

lelisa13p, scjjtt, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

This is how my decision making goes all the time. I will post here as a way to think out loud and see if anyone here has a perspective I hadn't considered, which may or may not actually affect which way I go. Either way, the discussion is valuable. And I end up having thought things through more thoroughly, whatever I decide. That's what's nice about this place. :newpalm:

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I do this, too, but I go one extra step: act on impulse against all common sense, then come back here to complain and beg for help. :)

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 4 others like this.
  9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Me, too, except that I'm stubborn so I don't come here for help. I just come here to justify why I went the complete opposite way that I've been complaining about for years.

For example, "What moron would ever be willing limited to no expandable memory and no user replaceable battery?"

"...oh...uh...this moron." :oops: (by way of a Nexus 6...oops.)

Hey, anybody want any of my crow? I've served myself way too much, and it really is rather tasty if you dump a lot of sauce on it.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Mitlov and 3 others like this.
  10. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Another example -- in my Nexus 6 thread I posted that I will never own another Samsung or carrier subsidized device again. Yeah, right. Can't wait to see what my next phone is. Probably a genuine Sprint Samsung S9 Note 14. :rolleyes:

lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.