Thinking about switching to an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 30, 2016.

1. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

I guess I don't get the draw to switch because family or friends have an iPhone - is it a particular app that you want to share or what?
    My sister has an iPhone and it doesn't make me want one.
    Maybe i'm just anti social though.

raspabalsa likes this.
  2. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

I would rather have the 2013 Moto X :eek:
    But I get the feeling that you might be leaning towards Apple. Sounds like your ready for a change.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm definitely still on the fence. I really prefer the keyboard, email, calendar, and web browsing experience on Android, and that's a big part of what I do on my phone.

And the price difference is a huge deal to me.

Where I've noticed the biggest app quality difference in favor of iOS over Android is with gaming and social media apps. There's no question that Facebook and Banner Saga and XCOM run far, far better on an iPad than a Nexus 9. But for what I use my *smartphone* for, as opposed to a family media tablet, is that more important than a better typing experience and an email setup that works better for me than anything I've been able to set up on iOS? When I say it like that, the answer seems like a clear "no."

r0k, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

seriously, Mitlov, if your phone is not your primary gaming device, I wouldn't switch.

although I don't use it often, I'm very glad to have DocsToGo on my Android phones -- yes, I'm sure there is something comparable on the iPhone -- and if the phone is used a lot for emails (work or other) then the keyboard is a major consideration, imho. I believe the iPhone to be a quality device, but it's not perfect -- but then, neither is any Android phone I've heard about. good luck!

r0k, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Love, Zippy :vbgrin:

Zippy's Box_Green.png Zippy's Box_Green.png

6. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I've been using an iPhone 6 for the best part of 18 months now, I sold my Note 4 to a workmate a few months ago who really wanted it as I wasn't really using it much, my reasons are mostly to do with carrying the devices around, the Note sized devices are great to use.....when you're using it, but a pain to have in pockets when you're not.
    I really like the 6/6s hardware and don't have much trouble putting up with iOS apart from iTunes and pic/music transfer, the versions of iOS I've used with this model have been rock solid, Gmail can be a little slow connecting but I read somewhere this will be improved next version.

I think you would probably like an iPhone since it's kinda what WP was modeled on as far as smooth, refined and cohesive looking across apps but pretty limited for customization, the major difference being...imo, it has a vastly better UI to start with, and, the sheer amount of quality aftermarket software available.And of course as you mentioned, Apple won't go out of their way to help U.S. authorities backdoor your info [as moot as the point eventually was], unlike MSFT.

iPhone's command ridiculously good second hand prices where I am, maybe the same where you are so you don't lose much if you find you don't like it ?

lelisa13p, Mitlov, Hook and 3 others like this.
  7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

This entire thread is irrelevant up until this post:

Is your phone naked or in a case? If you like to case your phone, then iOS all the way. Think about the HUGE VARIETY of case options that you'll have!

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely joking, as I'm still searching for something other than what amounts to a ziplock bag for a waterproof case for the ol' Nexus 6. Meanwhile every Google search brings up plenty of waterproof case options for the iPhone 6 when Google quickly gives up searching for Nexus 6.

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Must explain why I don't have an iPhone. :vbwink: :thumbsup:

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Hahaha...I go caseless, but you're right that third-party support for iPhones is unparalleled.

But I've recently found myself enticed by the Galaxy S7. I know it doesn't have 3-4 years of guaranteed software updates and all...but I really like its mix of high-quality AMOLED screen, superb cameras, widgets and theming options built in, top-shelf case materials, good onboard storage (and expandable to boot), decent-sized screen without being cartoonishly large in the hand, etc.

And while a lot of people love to hate Touchwiz, there are some things I genuinely prefer about it over stock Android. The notification/toggle shade is way better in Touchwiz than in stock Android in my opinion. I also prefer having a first-party file browser than wondering what the ulterior motive of the app developer for a third-party file browser is (since the permissions are so sweepingly broad).

And while the Galaxy S series doesn't have the third-party support that the iPhone has, it's the closest thing Android has by a country mile. Apple Music for Android (which I prefer to Google Play Music All Access) won't install on the Nexus 9 or the Nexus 6P. Hell, even Google's own YouTube Music app won't install on the Nexus 9! With the Galaxy S series, though, you can be assured that if something is available for Android at all, it's available for your device.

So sorry to change the rules at the 11th hour there, but I currently find myself more tempted by the Galaxy S7 than by either a new Nexus or an iPhone.

10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

The Galaxy S series have proven, IMO, to be pretty reliable. I often have been tempted to the Nexus phones, but without external memory and replaceable battery, the allurement quickly fades. Besides the 3rd party accessories that are abundant for the Galaxy S series is the fact that it is supported on XDA and you can (or find someone who can) root and change the ROM for years to come. So you can end up with a Nexus like phone, strip it down to just the essentials of Google, while having the advantages that Samsung offers.

Of course, like the iPhones, the Samsung S series are not cheap so if you are wanting to save money and have great features, one must look elsewhere.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

lelisa13p likes this.