Thinking about switching to an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 30, 2016.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Plain and simple, last I looked - at least for me. Apple makes no easy way to shut off email sync. Sorry, but I'll be damned if I want work email flowing to my phone, all hours of the day, and weekend. I'm out of the office for the day, then at the same point, my phone had better stop telling me of work emails too. That was not an option for Exchange or Gmail when I looked at the end of 2015, and saw that this exact feature was removed in iOS 7.

I've got that configured on my Android. Work notifications are fine, when I'm on the clock. Soon as the clock strikes beer thirty though, that's the end of it. Upper administration have my number, if there is an emergency. They had better have a big emergency if they are going to call...

SyncRaven, scjjtt, r0k and 2 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The issue there is not conformity, but compatibility and familiarity in case I need to use their device for something or vice versa.

I've actually got an iPad Air my parents sent me so they can do FaceTime with their grandkids, and I'm trying using that as my primary home tablet for a while instead of the Nexus. It was that experience that led to the pluses and minuses in my original post.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Mi An, r0k, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I have a foot in each world, since i have an ipad mini and a Nexus 6.

It really is a tossup, but what tips the scales to android (for me) are:
    -Home screen organization/widgets
    -Google Opinion Rewards (I haven't paid for an app or movie rental in months)
    -Affordability. It's far, far cheaper to get a powerful Android phone than a powerful iPhone. I don't mind the investment in my ipad, since i expect to use that for 3-4 years, but I tend to cycle phones faster, and I don't see the benefit in being on the hook for $30 a month in phone payments on top of my plan, and I am too cheap to want to drop $850+ on a phone all at once.

jigwashere, r0k, Mitlov and 2 others like this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm not a big conformist either; but I do sometimes wish I were on Apple because my sister and her family are all Apple as is my mother. My father and I are Android. My friends are basically split fairly evenly.

The screen issue re battery life is a big one. The latest Android flagships go with huge screen resolution (far more than even Apple), which also helps drain the battery life. Apple is under 400 dpi I think, while some Androids are around 600 dpi.

QF, It's been a while since I shopped seriously; but the prices aren't all that different, with the one big caveat of the storage. Apple really makes you pay up for that, but some Android flagships have started doing that too.

r0k and scjjtt like this.
  6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

True, some flagships are just as pricey on Android. But the Nexus line is far cheaper; I can get a 6P for far less than a comparable iPhone.

I know Mrs QF will almost always want an iPhone because thats what she knows. So I know we are going to be on the hook for a $750+ phone every few years. There's a big difference between spending ~$1250 or so and spending ~$1600...that's enough of a difference to also upgrade one of our tablets, for example.

As long as the nexus line continues to exist and be a more affordable flagship, it will always be cheaper for me to stay on Android.

r0k, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

As for family members, my wife is jumping from a Moto X 2013 to an iPhone SE, so intra-family compatibility weighs in favor of iOS.

US Cellular won't activate a Nexus 6P (not sure why not, since it supports their bands), but they will activate a Nexus 5X. So when I'm weighing Nexus versus iPhone, I'm saving more than 50% by going Nexus (but admittedly getting a decidedly less luxurious device).

As for the price of upgraded storage, that's a wash between Nexus and iPhone.

r0k, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

true, but then again, misery loves company (yes, I am an eternal optimist). seriously, hope it works out well for you both.

r0k, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Missou-rah" loves company. ;)

lelisa13p, r0k, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Wrong thread dood :vbrolleyes:

lelisa13p, r0k, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.