Thinking about switching to an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 30, 2016.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'd discount the standby issue and the battery issue. That's more model-specific. I'd add from my perspective the lack of memory card support and the outrageous premium charged by Apple for storage space (see r0k's last comment too).

P.S. I'd also add that I've been tempted on occasion, largely because the apps (and games as I mentioned yesterday) sometimes seem better on iOS.

If Apple made a phone with a card slot to didn't kill you on the cost for storage (which you pay over and over every 2 years or so), I'd be on Apple.

r0k, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

As for battery life, I'd be looking at a 5.5" model, not 4" or 4.7". I have heard that the 4.7" model can need charging partway through the day, but on the other hand, the Plus models have great reputations for battery life.

As for corporate bias, I haven't historically been a huge Apple fan because I haven't really agreed with some of their positions and tactics in intellectual property litigation, but their song stance against the FBI on the backdoor issue counterbalanced that for me.

The Priv runs Android, not BB10.

weegie, r0k, SyncRaven and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

As for the microSD issue, since Nexus devices don't offer expandable storage either, that's a wash for me.

r0k, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

scjjtt likes this.
  5. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

According to the reviews I have read the Nexus 6p beats the iPhone 6s plus on battery life:
    https://www.androidpit.com/nexus-6p-vs-iphone-6s-plus-comparison
    And the Priv battery is only slightly smaller then the Nexus at 3410 mAh vs 3450 mAh so should roughly be the same.

So I vote either the Nexus or the Priv.

You MIGHT consider the priv for the keyboard. I was surprised how much I liked the physical keyboard on the q10 - and i'm more of a touch guy. With the priv it's optional.

Who cares what your office mates are using? It makes you cooler that your unique is what I think :).

Then that only leaves apps.. which I can't really say if apple apps are much better quality. I did notice for a brief time that I used a mac that the software is more focused on usability then PC software which is focused on having lots of options.
    But you sound like a guy pretty comfortable with technology so i'm not sure how important that is.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

For what it's worth, my T-Mobile LG G Stylo just got the MM update a couple of weeks ago and I haven't found any glitches. It's a relatively cheap 5.7" phone with great battery life, and now it's as easy to root as a Nexus.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Fully agree with jig here. That's how I began using Android devices. Back then I used Symbian devices (remember them?) but started to feel increasingly curious about Android, and also increasingly dissatisfied with Symbian, so I purchased a low-end Android phone to give it a try. Nothing beats hands-on experience IMO.

r0k, Hook, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  8. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Sorry to change the subject but curious how the battery life was on Symbian (never used it personally).
    Also do you miss the symbian os or did Android seem completely superior?
    Seems like a shame to me it died off. Every year seems to be leading to less and less choices on mobile platforms.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

It's hard to compare battery life. My symbian devices had tiny screens compared to any Android phone, and that's one of the main power consumers. The small screen meant I wouldn't watch movies, read books, or play games, which in turn lead to higher endurance. The battery lasted more, but because I mostly used the phone as such, not as a PDA. I don't miss Symbian at all. I did install a couple of Python scripts mostly to modify how certain apps installed and uninstalled, but that what almost my full involvement with the OS.

SyncRaven likes this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You mention in your OP that one advantage is that everyone in your office has an iPhone. You don't strike me as a conformist, so why is that an advantage? Do folks in your office us Facetime or other workplace sharing features you're missing out on? As I read your OP, I don't see any compelling reasons listed for switching. Honestly, it just sounds like you're iOS-curious. ;)

Here's a good article from Wirecutter on purchase options: How to buy an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus

Would you consider an iPad today instead of an iPhone to give you iOS experience w/o the commitment and expense of getting a carrier phone? What about getting a used, unlocked iPhone so you can get some hands-on experience without the commitment and expense of an all-in switch? I don't think a used iPhone would lose much value over a few months and you could recoup your money if/when you finally decide with confidence on Android vs iPhone.

raspabalsa likes this.