Thinking about switching to an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Talk me into it or out of it.

For years I've said I like Android better because you have a choice of hardware. But in recent years I've decided I'm only willing to buy Nexus devices because of vulnerabilities being a bug big deal because you can't get timely software updates on non-Nexus devices, which means I really don't any more hardware choice on the Android front after all.

Advantages of staying:

Widgets. Love my calendar agenda and my five-day weather forecast right on the home screens.
    Better Swype support, and I love Swype.
    More reasonable prices.
    Front-facing speakers are way better.
    The best support for Google services, where I'm very heavily invested (Gmail, calendar, drive, keep, Play Newsstand, Play Music All Access)

Advantages of going:

Standby battery time is unbelievable.
    Cameras are consistently good year after year.
    Better attention from software developers.
    I don't care about Apple services, but Google apps (where I'm heavily invested) seem to run well on iOS.
    Higher prices, but can spread the price over two years by buying a carrier-branded device.
    Essentially every other person I know in my workplace uses iPhones.

jigwashere, lelisa13p and Mi An like this.
  2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

As for cameras, DXMark is the only site I trust because of their ability to compare things scientifically through hard data, not to mention their experience in comparing and testing all sorts of cameras. Currently the top 5 spots for best camera in a mobile are dominated by Android.

Nexus 6P is amazing device, camera, build, battery life, standby time and the speed of the way it charges.

IPhones don't get my emotion at all, not like the way Samsung's new phones since the S6, Edge, and Notes does, the S7 and S7 Edge in particular. I also like what I see with the incoming HTC 10.

One time, my wife took a long time searching her email on her iPhone looking for her flight and hotel reservations that was emailed to her.

On the other hand, Google Now shows my flight reservation number, my hotel reservation now, my flight and boarding time, gate number, right there in the cards. That simply nails it for me.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Drillbit, a couple of things:
    did you mean DXOmark?
    if yes, then on this page there are listings and while your statement is technically correct, since I'm not familiar w/ their testing procedure/point system I have to wonder how much of a real-world difference there is between a score of 88 and 84? that's the Difference between the S7 Edge & the iPhone 6S Plus. btw, the Nexus 6P also scored 84…
    http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-Mobile-Review-A-new-champion

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have consistently had a better experience with iPhone than with any Android phone provided by my employer. Granted my employer terribly botched Android with their lock-down software, I still get frustrated with the user interface. For instance, part of my daily ritual is to simply turn off bluetooth after the work day so my headset doesn't nag me whenever I go in and out of range of my work phone. To do this, I must enter 7 keystrokes: the 6 digit pin required by my employer plus the "OK" key. Then I must swipe down to get to settings and turn off bluetooth. When I go in later to turn it back on, I must often reconnect with my earpiece and then use the Android back button to cancel the scan for new bluetooth devices. I'm not at all happy with some of the things Apple does with bluetooth but by comparison, Android's handling of bluetooth feels clunky, poorly thought out and even a bit unstable.

The phone turns itself on and is difficult to get to go back to sleep again. I have difficulty managing alerts. When I finally get it to stop buzzing for every email, I find it doesn't buzz for text messages! But my biggest annoyance is the lack of touchid. Our company allows iOS devices to use touchid but they do not allow Android devices to use touchid. For this reason, when my company phone renewal comes up at the end of this week, I will go with an iPhone 6, 6s or SE depending on what they allow me to order. I will be SO happy to be rid of the Samsung GS4 I'm currently saddled with. I'll miss access to my favorite Android app: Wifi Analyzer, but I'll be so happy to have a device that works as I expect it to work rather than dealing with all the quirkiness of the Samsung GS4 I'm carrying right now.

I see a lot of discussion about benchmarks here. I could care less about somebody's benchmark. I care about whether when I reach for a device is it ready for me, responsive to my needs and on the same page I expect it to be. If it's not on the right page, how difficult, then is it for me to get it there? In my experience iOS, while far from perfect, has been consistently a better experience than Android.

BTW, I'm heavily invested in google apps as well. I have them on my iPhone, iPad, and in Chrome browser tabs in Windows and OSX. I love the keystroke by keystroke saving of files I'm working on. I have google sheets for iOS and my only complaint is it doesn't give me back the whole screen on my iPad when I'm using an external BT keyboard. I also have MS Excel and Numbers but my go-to spreadsheet app is google sheets and I find it works flawlessly and seamlessly in my i-things.

I know this probably doesn't help your iOS vs Android decision because I suspect most of what I'm dealing with is crapware installed by my employer but I can provide one data point: After years walking around with both iOS (iPhone 4, 5 and 6) and Android (Moto Razr M, Samsung GS4) , I'm less than one week away from putting Android behind me forever and I. cannot. wait.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. RickAgresta

Uh, Jeff? your description is kinda like a specific build of an OS for work on a work machine -- it's not the same across other of the same machine running "the same" OS

for me to turn off BT, I simply drag down the task bar and hit the BT icon. turning on is the same process. granted, I don't use BT for anything other than device-to-device file transfer, i.e., no wireless headset.

it's been that way for me on my S3, as well as my S5, both on Verizon. as always, YMMV

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  6. r0k

r0k Dazed

It's not a specific build of Android for my employer, rather it's exchange policies pushed from our server along with some rather nasty "lockdownware" we are required to run. We have to run similar lockdownare on iOS but I've borrowed other employee's iPhones and I can tell our lockdownware is not as invasive on iOS.

I'm on Android 5.0.1. It took over 5 minutes for me to find this little nugget because in settings there are 3 tabs visible "connections, my device, accounts" and you have to drag the tabs to the left to get the "more" tab! I went in and out of settings about a dozen times before I remembered this. This kind of UI blunder is not something caused by my employer's exchange policy or lockdown software, its a usability mistake made by either Google or Samsung.

Using BT for device-to-device transfer sounds like a lot less frequent use than a headset. I know right away if I'm having problems with my headset because I have to stop what I'm doing and fish for my phone rather than simply tap my earpiece and start talking. In an ideal world, having a BT earpiece would prevent me from ever taking my phone out of my pocket to answer a call. Sadly this isn't consistently true for iOS or Android. In fact, Apple recently replaced my iPhone 6 for repeated bluetooth problems. When both devices are working properly, as far as BT goes I can hardly tell them apart. My iPhone 6 BT consistently works properly while my Samsung is kinda spotty.

7. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I think we're getting a little side tracked here (if I may be so bold :vbwink:). Mitlov isn't someone with little experience asking to help him choose between Android and iOS. Mitlov is someone who has a lot of experience with Android and likes it for the most part, wondering if he should change to iOS for because he see's his hardware choices as limited and he likes certain aspects of the iPhone's hardware (camera, battery life).

I think a big factor comes down to how much you value really being able to tweak your device. If at this point, with Android's maturity, you don't tweak much beyond changing launcher and adding widgets, then, it may not be such a hard change. The trick will be to really think through some of the things you do with Android that are now second nature and you may take for granted.

As someone whho roots their device the first week of ownership and often has a new ROM within the first month, I'm unlikely to be able to shift to iOS. :vbgrin:

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

If you have to ask, you might as well get an iPhone. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  9. RickAgresta

don't forget the telecom provider's fingers in the pie. fwiw, the BT icon has always been in the taskbar for me, even if I had to scroll to the other end to see it (and in which case, I promptly moved it, until I realized it wasn't that important to me)

EDIT: while I do not expect that you'll stick with Android for any reason, if you have questions about it, just ask, particularly for minor (imo) usability enhancements.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and r0k like this.
  10. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'm quite unhappy with Samsung hardware but I've heard great hardware is available for Android.

I'm somewhat dissatisfied with Apple hardware when it comes to battery life and internal storage. I shell out extra for 64 GB devices every time. I also wind up obsessing over charging. I might opt to go to the plus size of iPhone or the SE size of iPhone for my next (personal phone) refresh if it gets me longer battery life. iPhone 6 and 6s battery life is nothing short of scandalous. Otherwise why would Apple be selling a battery case? This is a throwback to the days when Motorola and RIM were selling bulky "battery extenders" because they screwed up and made devices without enough battery life. Hopefully this is something Apple will stop doing. It's not enough to make me seriously consider switching to Android but it's a huge demotivator for me to have to plug in iphone 6 in multiple times just to get through a normal day.

As for all other hardware aspects, I'm totally in love with iPhone. TouchID works great. ApplePay works great. The camera, while not quite great is good enough for almost every situation. Touchscreen performance (except in cold weather or with sweaty fingers) is great. And the build quality of my iPhone 6 is fantastic.

I'm SO glad you mentioned the #&^%&#!@'ing carriers. That's the main reason I like iOS. I don't need no stinking Verizon, Sprint, At&t or whoeverthehell getting between me and the company that manufactured my phone. I remember walking around with BBOS 4.something when the rest of the BB world was on 5.something because of Verizon's foot-dragging. I was viewing email in plain text while the rest of the BB world had forgotten how ugly text email even looked. Never. Again. It does not impress me that Verizon quickly ships out Android updates because by this time next year they might not be sending them out promptly. When I see an article that iOS x.xx.xx is available, I expect it to show up on my device in hours not months!

Will do, (though I expect to be submitting an order for an iPhone 6s through my employer early next week).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016