ThinkDB or Smartlists to Go solutions?

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by khrome, Dec 9, 2017.

1. khrome

khrome Mobile Enthusiast

Hi,
    Sorry - I have to go into a bit of background before my actual question. My original PDAs were Handspring Visors when they came out, and I ran ThinkDB as my database app on them. Eventually, I ended up with a Palm LifeDrive with Smartlists To Go, before trying various tablets and smartphones. 10 or so years later, I've decided that nothing beats a Palm for fast, highly customizable databases, so I have a Handspring Visor once again. (I gave away my LifeDrive and now I'm kicking myself for it. lol) Anyway, luckily I found my Handspring module which had all my apps on it - all paid and registered. But it has ThinkDB, not SLtG, which is fine since I liked ThinkDB better. I've been using the PDA the past year, backing up only to another Handspring module.

This week I decided to get my computer set up for syncing. I have Linux running VirtualBox, running Win7, running Palm Desktop - all working fine. When I tried looking for ThinkDB 2.0 desktop, I couldn't find it anywhere - just SLtG 3.003. So I went ahead and installed that one. But every time I sync, it installs over my Registered ThinkDB with a Trial version of SLtG. I was wondering if anyone can help me with any of these possible solutions, or if anyone has any other suggestions?

- Does anyone have a copy of ThinkDB 2.0, or can point me to where I can download it - this is my preferred solution
    - If not, does anyone have a copy of the SLtG 3.003 registration and activation keys that they can share, or point me to where I can find them - less preferred, slightly shady, solution
    - if not, does anyone have a cracked copy of either one, or can point me to where I can find them - least preferred, definitely shady solution.

I guess they're not THAT shady, considering DataViz is no longer supporting it.

Ohyeah, I also tried renaming the prc in the desktop app in hopes that it will just bypass installing it, but that broke the app completely.

I also need the sync to be bi-directional, so Handheld Overrides Desktop is not an option.

Thanks, in advance,
    khrome

wozofoz, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Have you tried setting the Install conduit to "Do nothing", while keeping all other conduits on their default actions? Normally this will prevent apps from being installed during hotsync, but will not interfere with the two-way sync you need.

wozofoz, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  3. khrome

khrome Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply! Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Yes, I tried that - after I synced the first time and ThinkDB was overwritten, I restored it from the Handspring Module, set the Install conduits, synced, and had the same results. :/

scjjtt likes this.
  4. raspabalsa

Ok, maybe you did this already, but did you also set the "Do nothing" action as default for the Install conduit? If you didn't, then the "Do nothing" action works only for the current hotsync, then it reverts to the previously selected action. I've never used Handspring devices or their modules, so I don't know if they override conduits or other settings. If this doesn't work, then it probably means the module does override conduit settings.

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  5. khrome

khrome Mobile Enthusiast

I didn't set it to default, but it still did the install of the sync that was set at Do Nothing. Do you think it makes a difference? I can go try it right now.

6. raspabalsa

I'm not sure it will make a difference. As I said above, I'm not familiar with Handspring modules. But on other PalmOS devices it does work, so, yes, I think it's worth a try.

Yet another thing to try is this: you can change the Creator ID of the app. PalmOS identifies apps not by their name, but by the Creator ID. If you change the ID of one of the versions, then it can co-exist with the other version on the same device. I'm not sure if this will wreak havoc on the sync, but if you're willing to try, then make sure you back up all your data elsewhere and set aside some time to fix things if they break. :)

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  7. khrome

khrome Mobile Enthusiast

Oooh I think we're on to something! So this time, after changing the HotSync settings and clicking OK out of the them, I got an error "HotSync Manager Has Stopped Working". I went back into the settings and they had all reverted back to original defaults. I rebooted, changed some settings without OK-ing out, and just reopened one immediately, and the settings are not being retained at all! So I'm going to see how I can fix this HotSync Manager problem.

If that doesn't work, I'll try the Creator ID. I break stuff all the time, it don't scare me. :D I will report back what happens...

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  8. khrome

khrome Mobile Enthusiast

So I never got things working the ideal way. I do have a workaround which is to sync twice - first time with everything on default (so now my ThinkDB databases are the same on the PDA and computer), then a second time with Smartlist To Go set to Do Nothing and Install set to Enabled. This reinstalls my registered copy of ThinkDB. Here is why it needs to be done this way:

- Dataviz, being the stingy bastages that they are, made it so that even if you set Smartlists to Go to Do Nothing, it will still look for any occurrences of ThinkDB (except for the databases) on your PDA and delete them.
    - It will do this as the very last step of the sync process, so you can't install ThinkDB in the same sync session - it will just be deleted a couple seconds later.
    - If you delete SmartlistToGo.prc so that it cannot install it, it will still remove your ThinkDB app and you are left with neither on the PDA (databases are still safe tho.)
    - What I ended up doing is renaming ThinkDB.prc to SmartlistsToGo.prc and putting them in
    C:\Program Files\palmOne\username\Install
    and
    C:\Program Files\Smartlists To Go\Handheld
    Even though changing the name tricks Smartlists To Go into installing it, somehow on next sync it can detect that it is really ThinkDB and it gets deleted again.
    - I don't think changing the Creator ID will do anything because Dataviz never changed the ID when they took over - it's still "THNK". So I don't have anything to change it to.

So the Smartlist To Go Desktop app will always say Trial since the registration keys are not the same format as ThinkDB's. It remains to be seen if the Desktop will stop working for me in 30 days, or however long the trial period is..

Ultimately, I'm still looking for a copy of ThinkDB 2.0 Desktop if anyone has it. :)

Oh, and as far as the error I got with HotSync Manager Has Stopped Working - simply uninstalling and reinstalling Palm Desktop and SLtG fixed that.

9. raspabalsa

There's a listing on Amazon here for ThinkDB 2.5, although I have no idea if it includes the Desktop version and registration keys. May be worth contacting the seller.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, khrome and 3 others like this.
  10. khrome

khrome Mobile Enthusiast

This is perfect, thank you! I had checked ebay but never thought to check Amazon. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller. Crossing fingers...

lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.