There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

6mm is no problem though (i checked this)
    I also run across this battery on Ebay, but was stopped me is 65mm length. No way you can fit it there. Maximum you can put there - is about 57mm ( w/o removing stilus silo). So maybe this battry is actually shrter? maybe 65mm is including the tabs, which you can bend?

Morden, can you please give us measurements of this battery, in case you did them bofore mod.

2. Morden

Morden Senior Member

You are right, the actual length is less, about 60mm.
    And it can be fitted inside the TT, without any serious modification... it needs just a little trimming.

M.

Attached Files:

3. Morden

Morden Senior Member

Width:

Attached Files:

4. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

All of this inquiry is well and good, as it would *seem* we have found a better battery. Thing is, it is known that the TT has a little bit more space for extra battery compared to the T3... then again a battery that manages to fit a TT is likely to fit a T3 with coaxing.

What I'm really interested to find out is the true rating of the battery. I'm reluctant to believe that it is a true 1400, more likely it is equivalent to a Kokam 1250 or 1300, even as low as an 1100 nominal. Extensive web research has shown us how manufacturers like blowing the specs up, so getting the battery from a reputed brand in the li-poly industry is important for determining actual capacity. This Powerizer brand is obviously a generic. I have no doubt that it could hold more than our current Kokam "standard" but I won't take the 1400 as an accurate estimate of how much more until we can see some tests run on a T3 with this battery.

Morden's tests show it runs great on a TT. But let's not forget that a TT has a 144 mHz OMAP processor, and that could easily last 6 hours on the existing Kokam standard (1200 mAh). I want to see how fast the T3 400 mHz Xscale processor eats that battery up. Only then will we have a true benchmark.

Volunteers? :)

5. Morden

Morden Senior Member

I will probably modify a friends TT2 with a Powerizer soon, but i will run a BatteryTime before the mod.

I dont know the actual capacity of the battery, but it waaaay outlast the original battery! :)
    And its cheap... :)

I think a stock 900 TT battery can provide only 4h of BatteryTime usage...

M.

Hey snickersmd, just give it a try :)

6. Pathdoc

Pathdoc Mobile Deity

Hey Snickersmd, any update on the battery order?

Waiting patiently,

Pathdoc

7. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

@Morden
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I highly doubt it's 1400mHa. Are u sure there was nothing running in the background? I had about 5 hrs with the regular 900Mha battery on T2 (with a lowered CPU speed, though). Now it's about 11.5 hrs ('till the first warning) with 1500. Take a look at the beggining of the thread- I posted my results as well. BTW, T3.5 tweakers have about 4.5 hours with 1200 mHa
    ONE THING THAT REALLY AFFECTS the life of the battery is the screen. I tried a bright one (sorta perfectly white color) and got like 10 hrs. A yellowish screen, on the other hand, gave me 12h 15 min

U said you got 6 something on T with 1400? Did u do in cradle reset? I woulda tried it first, and then ran the Battery test again.

Almost forgot! The first few times u gotta charge it for at least 6-8 hours ("deep charging")

8. Morden

Morden Senior Member

Hello Wolf, congratulations on your mod ;) Yours is truly a monster :-D

First: the TT2 is much-much better in terms of power consumption!

check this out:

http://btime.koppel.cz/tables/index.html

Check the time for the Tungsten T and the Tungsten T2....
    You are lucky with your TT2 :)

Btw, does someone has that version of BatteryTime, which produces the linked tables? :-o

I will soon modify a friends TT2 to 1400mah, and then we'll see the results.

ps: I've read the WHOLE topic :) was a long read :)

M.

9. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

@ Morden

First of all, congrats to u too![​IMG]
    Second, thanks for the link - I never seen such an extensive research project. And, hell, I never realized that there's a huge gap in battery performance b/w T and T2
    Third, good luck with your friend's T2! Please post the results here.

10. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Hello all,

Re: the Powerizer 1400. It is good to know that Morden has better battery life using it. But until it is tested on a T3, we can't say it is either better or worse than what we are already using, the Kokam/Worley 1200 "standard". Battery tests for the TT and the T2 are not as helpful for the purposes of comparison.

I myself cannot test it for my T3 at this time, since I am preparing to mass produce the readymade batteries. News on that will follow the end of this post.

Re: the Battery Time "research" link. This link was posted before, somewhere around page 40. It is the official page of Battery Time, and the results of which are doubtful. We've already discussed that the tests published do not emphasize the exact parameters for each test run, and that each test was merely a single run done by one person with a unit. I for one do not consider those test results valid when the testers did not publish the exact parameters for each unit (i.e. whether screen is lowest or maximum, bluetooth on or off, how long charged, most importantly how old each unit was. It is not known nor mentioned if the units tested on that page were fresh out of the box or used for several months. They are certainly good estimates, but by no means accurate enough to establish relationships between units for battery usage. My point, these published tests were never scientifically controlled.

Our tests here on the forum on the other hand, have been standardized. All tests are to be performed after a 5-7 hour charge, screen set to lowest, scroll up button reset (kills infrared, bluetooth, and all resident programs) and SD card removed.

Testing the TT and the T2 will be different of course, considering that you can actually turn off the backlight on these units.

What I'm saying is, Morden, I am happy for you that you have found a battery which delivers better performance than your original. But in sharing with this thread, your information has to be checked in accordance with the existing standards, so it can be useful to all of us. I will be the first one to jump for joy if we can verify that this alleged 1400 is at least better than the established Kokam 1200 standard. So to contribute to this thread, may I suggest that it would be most useful if you offer detailed test results adhering to the standardization. I don't make the rules around here, this is just a suggestion.

My tone is not distrusting of you, it is distrusting of the company that produces this Powerizer battery. We have all learned not to believe a company that advertises their mAh until we've seen the controlled tests. You discovered this battery, brought it to our attention, and successfully implemented it in your own PDA. Make sure your tests are controlled appropriately, and most importantly, don't believe everything you read on the web. :)

Anyway...

Battery Update
    As of today, March 28

Batteries: awaiting response from supplier. Should receive them this week
    Connectors: were delayed, but completion and shipping within this week
    Protection Circuit: in stock and ready
    Documentation: done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.