There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legoude522

Legoude522 Guest

i meant the case plastic ;-)

2. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

I'm very sceptical about this. The back cover is moving when opening/closing camera. So you will have to shave layer of plastic over a much larger area than of battery itself. This is very hard task - it wall take you numerous hours unless you have some special instrument. And this is to gain some additional 0.3-0.6 mm? - how will this help you? -
    if you want to put abovementioned battery 1000mah - it will fit w/o moding. I see no reason for this unless you got some special battery that fits only after removing ~0.5mm of plastic.

3. Legoude522

Legoude522 Guest

Ok thanks for your comments. Very helpful. I might open it up in the future and see what I can do. I think you should consider pc modding like normal people (including me) Those would probably be even crazier than your pdas. hehe

4. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

very few electronics in my house survived and stayed in it's original state. my computers definitely didn't.:D
    [sorry for offt]

5. klw

klw Guest

Yikes! Sombody finally posted the dimensions of the T5 battery:

Quote:

Samsung SDI
    PGF523759A 2G90206
    1284981DA-03-089

Dimensions are 58mm x 37mm x 3.5 mm, give or take.

Unquote. Thanks to greghoro at PIC for the info!

Both length and width will be problematic as the stock T3 battery measures 54 X 35 X 4mm... Still, it might be squishable
    :eek:

6. xj-boonie

xj-boonie Mobile Deity

What's the name of the eBay store?

thanks....

7. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Doubt it, if it's the length that's a problem. 4 mm is a lot, and you can't squeeze the li=poly's along its length. I don't know if you still remember from when you installed your battery, but you could feel through the foil that the battery is kinda like a roll of toilet paper inside. You can squeeze the width and the thickness but not the length. It would probably work with a Wolf-style stylus and case mod, but then, if you're doing that might as well go with the 1500 instead.

That more or less confirms what I thought after skimming hundreds of different companies' battery specs. The T5 battery isn't any special technology with more energy (1300) packed in a tighter space, it's still current battery technology in which 1200 is the max capacity for the dimensions we need. It also tells us that P1 was sort of telling the truth that by removing the slider they made more space for a bigger battery.

Need more proof that current li-poly technology can't squeeze 1300 mAh into the T3 space at this time? Look at the product listings on the websites of every major li-ion/li-poly battery manufacturer - Sanyo, Samsung, Kokam, Varta, Sony, and tens of ISO certified generic li-poly factories scattered through Asia. If there were a better battery available at this time, I'm certain we would have found it and made use of it. Personally I think that the technology needs to make a significant advancement before we see a better battery.

This forum discovered lithum-ion-polymer batteries because they were cheaply available, and slightly moldable. But the truth is that the smaller battery would be a lithium-ion-prismatic cell, like the original 900 that we're stuck with (metal encased). Of course, these aren't moldable at all, and whatever measurements you have, that's it. To squeeze more power into the T3 space without case mods it would require a custom, factory build-to-order prismatic cell to maximum size allowance. And that wouldn't be cheap.

As far as I'm concerned, we just all have to keep looking for a better battery. I know that if we could find one, it would probably be much better than having to wait for the Kokams from overseas like we're doing now.

Was there any news about the connector? I'm guessing, since the T5 is much like the TE (please, no T5 is/is not TE2 flames!) in design that the battery is soldered directly to the motherboard without any special connector.

And now...

For the people posting looking for "the ebay store" it's clearly posted that the batteries are still on a timetable. They're not available yet. Each of my posts has an update to the battery availability status. This forum will be clearly notified when the batteries are ready. Please read the recent posts carefully before posting questions that have clear answers.

as of today, March 8:
    Batteries: Awaiting arrival from overseas (1-2 weeks), waiting for status update e-mail from supplier.
    Connectors: In assembly, quoted completion date March 15
    Protection Circuit: Received and in stock
    Documentation: Done

Thank you all for your continued patience.

8. klw

klw Guest

I was actually much more concerned about width than I was about length. As we know, the kokam/worley cells have additional length not taken by the battery cells themselves where we are fitting the protection circuit. 4mm might be doable there and if all else fails, there's the wolfRX stylus mod. However, 35mm is just about all there is in the width measurement as we're up against the circuit board on one side and a metal case tab on the other. Its a major job to squish a 36mm Worley cell into that space. Sooo... the extra 3mm will be just about impossible to find without reducing the size of the circuit board (believe it or not, this has been discussed here :rolleyes: ) by 2mm.

9. rayman

rayman eCurmudgeon

There may be hope yet, believe it or not. Check this link concerning new developments on the Li-Ion front.

10. jcoltrane

jcoltrane Mobile Evangelist

Yeah... if you want to wait a couple of years for them to get these in production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.