There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legoude522

Legoude522 Guest

This is a big forum! I have a Zire 71 and want to mod it. Is there anyway to open it without breaking warrenty and how far does the warrany go, its been almost a year since buying it. And can anyone tell me how much room there is in the Zire 71. I am willing to shave off some of the plastic but have it looking like how it is supposed to be on the outside. None of Junglemike's crazy AA batteries. The battery I have to use is Li Ion 3.7v 1000mAH.

2. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

There is anough space in Zire71. At least as in T3 or more.
    You can also remove 2-sided sticky tape (quite thick) and metal battery cover on top (still don't know what is it for ). Snickersmd's battery will most likely fit w/o problems. It's quite a while since i used Z71, but Afaik - you can gain additional 1 to 2 mm space of thickness - so you can put 6 (or maybe 7)thick mm battery. No more.
    No, no way opening and not avoiding the warranty - one of the screws is under the sticky label on the back of you Z71.

3. Legoude522

Legoude522 Guest

How far does the warranty go. Its almost a year old. And unregistered. Is the warranty already void?

4. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Don't really know the warranty stuff. All my palms from the beginning were from second hand. maybe somebody else knows.
    Most important that you didn't tell:
    do you know your 1000mah dimentions? - if it's larger in either W /H/L - you may be wasting your time and, perhaps warranty.
    Do it only if you absolutely sure it will fit.

5. Legoude522

Legoude522 Guest

.5 cm high, 3.4 cm wide, 5.4 cm long

6. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

That's exactly the dimensions of Z71's own battery. So it will fit 100%, but 1000mah over 900mah isn't much of improvement. (considering that in over 50% of cases those numbers are spoof. but it's different story by itself).
    Maybe you better try some better battery? Li-pol and not li-ion? since the have better capacity/dimension. maybe some of these?
    <don't know if they're good, never tried them, just link anothr user dug up>
    http://www.batteriesamerica.com/lithium_polymer.htm
    just took look at my old Zire71 interior pics - there isn' much room for any wider and longer battery, just removing unneeded metalic cover will help, and maybe modifying the cover a bit.

7. Legoude522

Legoude522 Guest

can I have 2 batteries in it? I don't mind it being a little snug.

8. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Where are you going to put second battery?

9. Legoude522

Legoude522 Guest

I want to have it on the inside. And I have to then shave some of the plastic off. I might shave all of it for the area and have it showing outside but not higher than the plastic.

10. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

what plastic? there's notheing to shave. Did you see it's interior?
    I have the pics in case you need them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.