There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klw

klw Guest

Mine's normally in the charger for a short while every day when I hotsync. It usually is no more than a half hour or so. I never charge over the weekend. If my battery ever gets below 40% then I pop it on the charger overnight. When I'm on the road, my T3 is also my alarm clock so it always stays on the charger all night. This is generally a good thing too because a days worth of heavy use usually leaves the battery below 30%.

What exactly is wrong with yours WolfRX? I had a protection circuit failure on mine in August 2004 that manifested itself as the battery being unable to hold a charge. Every time I would pop it on the charger, I'd get the initial palm/digitizer startup screen. When in my hand, the thing would be dead. This started intermittantly (my PDA would suddenly be dead when I pulled it out). Swapping the protection circuit with my original battery fixed it and I haven't had a re-occurrence since.

2. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

Hi, man!
    Well, about a month ago I went on a business trip without any chargers. The first week and a half was great- I used it everyday and the battery was "self-restoring" itself after every night. :) But then the warnings started popping up and the following week wasnt so great :) I mean I was able to get like 5 mins a day but it was working that way for about a week! Then three weeks later I came home (my T2 was still working!) and finally put it in the cradle.

I charged it overnight, but battery only charged like 20%. Then I had exactly the same sign

But after like 2-3 days IT DISAPPEARED and after yet another overnight charge it got 100% charged! I ran two(!) Battery Tests, got my usual 11-11.5 hours and thought that I got off real easy :)
    Then I put it in the charger yet again, but I was unable to get more than 70%. I mean, after a few attempts of charging, it initially showed 100%, but in a few seconds it dropped to 70. AND EITHER the palm startup screen started popping up yet again almost every time I took it OFF(!) the cradle OR T2 was plain dead -I couldnt even turn it on!

EDITED
    Gee! I took it off the cradle like 15 mins ago (after a few hours of charging) and everything seems normal - 100% charged and no startup screens!
    Pretty weird, eh?

3. klw

klw Guest

Yeah, mine went whacko kind of like you're describing too. Did you try an in-cradle reset? If that doesn't help I'd suspect the protection circuit.

4. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

Yeah, I think you right. Initially, I thought it's the battery, cos I used it for 3 weeks without charging, but after I read your post
    I think its the board that I salvaged from a non-working T I had bought from ebay

5. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Goodness, these questions have been answered over and over again but I can't really blame you for not wanting to sift through all the pages of this thread since it's gotten so huge. :)

I've ordered the same Kokam batteries that everyone else has used for the mod. There's nothing custom about them. It's only special to US residents because Kokam in the USA doesn't stock them anymore, hence no RC stores in the USA will have them anymore. These are their standard, 1200 mAh HD cells, which is the same as what I assume you got from villekille.

My pricing estimate of $35 per piece was posted several pages back too. Now as the parts are coming in I think I can commit to that price. The batteries themselves were available from RC stores for around $10-$12, but what is driving the price up is the protection circuit, the connector, and the cost to assemble the three by hand. So $35 buys you a ready-to-insert battery, once they're ready.

Speaking of protection circuits...

wolfRx, what you're describing isn't really weird at all. On one hand, you could have a failed protection circuit as klw had. After all, the transplanted protection circuits weren't intended for the li-ion-polys, even if they're all electrically compatible. However, I doubt your transplanted PCM has completely failed. Since klw reported his PCM failure, no other poster after what could be hundreds of upgrading lurkers reported such a failure, which leads me to believe that the odds of PCM failure are very very slim.

The PCM is designed to cut off voltage when the voltage is too high or too low. My theory is that this is probably the behavior you were seeing, that keeping the battery away from chargers for too long caused it to drain completely and the PCM cut voltage, so your Palm wouldn't even turn on, after which your recharge caused the voltage to spike and it took a few cycles for your PCM to get back to regulating voltage properly.

Not exactly an electronics engineer type of explanation, but it makes sense to me, especially if your Palm is working fine now without any symptoms. If you do experience further symptoms though, I'd have to agree with klw's theory and then you'd have to swap out that PCM.

The PCM's that I have are the same make and model that Kokam USA chose to use with their own batteries. I haven't had a single problem with one of them in line with my own Kokam cell. Been running strong since December.

Last note about PCMs, my stock has arrived!

Update, as of March 2
    Battery: Ordered and awaiting arrival (2 weeks)
    Connector: Ordered and in production, scheduled for release March 15
    Protection Circuit: Received and in stock
    Documentation: Done

Oh, and I haven't gotten around to installing a prototype in a T yet, but I'll definitely be doing so before all the components are in stock.

6. bengel

bengel Mobile Evangelist

let me know when you start selling them as I would like one quite badly

7. klw

klw Guest

Damn.... this thread just passed the 100,000 view mark with almost 750 posts.:eek:

Remarkable......

8. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

It's just people like you and me wandering in and reading <said Nine, wandering in and... err... reading> :)

9. klw

klw Guest

I guess it about sums up the depth of the number 1 problem with an otherwise hall-of-fame bound PDA......

If P1 had just done a 1200mAh battery from day one then they would have hit this one right out of the park.

10. bryanewbank

bryanewbank Mobile Enthusiast

So, when do we prepare to /. that ebay auction site, and where do we find the batteries? Or was there another process defined in the last several score pages?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.