There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. villekille

villekille Mobile Enthusiast

Here is a picture of my new battery in its place. BTW I asked the local shop about the KOKAM battery and they have 20 in stock, but no information if they get them anymore.

Attached Files:

• pivg.jpg
      pivg.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ssdillon

ssdillon Mobile Enthusiast

Villekille!

I just got the kokam 1200 battery you send me!
    Thanks again man!
    I rigged it in last night till 3am and did a full charge.

I haven't tested it yet with battery time 'cos I'm using my T3 it at work now. Will do it tonight.

I should have read your last thread on the caution man.
    At least you only shorted your old, crappy original T3 li-on battery.
    I shorted my brand new, hard-to-find and rare kokam 1200!

Don't belive my luck! I didn't do it with the last 2 batteries I was fooling around with. I was cutting one of the solder tabs as it was a little to long for the protection circuit, and the other end of my cutters shorted the other tab. Was for a split-second only though. And a little smoke came out and the battery got warm.
    Lucky me I guess. Checked the voltage, it was 3.77. Before I shorted it, it was 3.8.

Btw, was was the highest batter time you guys got on a 1200mAh. 'Cos I initially bought a 1020mAh and it lasted for up to 4.37hrs. Far better than I calculated it would. My calculations were 4hrs.

Now I wonder really how much this 1200 baby will give me?

3. ssdillon

Oh btw, I was just using my T3 with a wifi sd card.
    Even after 10mins, the battery was still at 100%!

With my previous 900 mAh, after 5mins of use, it would drop to below 80%.

Wow!

4. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

For the rest of the thread that is still waiting for these pre-manufactured upgrades, it's been a little over a week since the order was placed with Kokam so it will be at least 2 more weeks before the batteries arrive.

In the meantime, I have been finalizing my sources for the protection circuit and the connector. The connector prototypes have just arrived from the new company and I am very pleased. I am waiting to hear back from them on how much it will cost.

So...

as of today, Feb. 23
    Battery: Ordered and awaiting arrival (2 weeks)
    Connector: Prototypes checked and approved, awaiting price quote
    Protection Circuit: Prices quoted, awaiting connector quote before placing order
    Documentation: Done

5. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Nice to hear the you are about us - palm users.
    This definitely requires lots of time and effort.
    I'll probably take the battery too (even though i have external packs.)
    :)

6. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

as of today, Feb. 24
    Connector: Ordered and in production, will be done in 2 weeks
    Protection Circuit: Ordered and will be received next week

To Do:
    We've confirmed that these upgrades work well in the T3. Although I vaguely recall someone trying these in the T and T2 as well, I don't remember if there were any size issues. While I am waiting for the parts to arrive I intend to install one of my existing prototypes in my sister's Tungsten T and report back how and if it fits.

If it does, I believe that this battery upgrade will be useful to more than just us T3 owners. I'll post my findings as soon as I have them.

7. klw

klw Guest

The TT and T2 battery compartments are actually a bit larger than the T3 in terms of the thickness dimension. This battery mod will work just fine with those devices as well and installation will be simplified, I believe, by the extra room.

In fact, this mod should rock in a T2 which is already the most efficient power consumer in the Tungsten T line due to its 320X320 Transflective display.

Note:

To avoid starting a flame war and moving this thread seriously OT, the T5 isn't included in the above statement due to lack of empirical data on the device. I will reserve my judgement on the T5's battery life until the standard battery benchmarks have been updated, run on this device and their results posted.

8. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Thanks for the heads up klw, I was pretty sure this was already determined earlier in the thread. However, for posterity's sake (and to give my sister a more effective mp3 player :)) I intend to see for myself how my prototype battery fits. It wouldn't be right for me to advertise a battery as working in all T's (T5 excluded) unless I've tested it myself.

as of today, Feb. 25
    Connector: Ordered and in production, Scheduled release date of March 15 was announced.
    Protection Circuit: Ordered and will be received next week

9. ssdillon

snickersmd, was wondering if these batteries which you are ordering from Kokam would be custom build (in terms of size) and what would be the capacity?

How much would you be pricing them?

Thanks

10. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

Houston, we got a problem!

Hi, guys!
    The topic is still going strong, which is good, but I got bad news

I killed my 1500mHA battery yesterday!:mad:
    I have a hunch of what I did wrong and I'll gladly share it with you, but first I gotta ask you T3.5ers a question.

HOW DO YOU CHARGE YOUR T3.5s?
    Do you put it in cradle as often as possible (say 2-3 times a day) or do you wait a few days till the battery is completely drained and only then charge it?
    Or do you charge it regularly (say, you put it in credle every night. no matter what the battery voltage is)?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.