There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

This issue has come out over and over again. For this reason, the docs I prepared for shipping with this battery upgrade clearly state that your warranty will be void if you perform this procedure. Further discussion: technically this procedure does void warranty. P1 has the option to refuse your Palm warranty if they see evidence of tampering.

That being said, van holton is correct. There is no seal, but you have to be careful about opening so as to leave no evidence. Be aware though, that P1 may never find out, but if you feel a moral obligation to be completely honest to P1 you should be aware that whatever higher power you happen to revere is watching you. :D

It can be technically argued, that if you modify your Palm, and then a manufacturer's defect happens to emerge that is completely independent of your modification, that P1 should still be responsible for warranty service, provided that you send them the unit in the condition you got it, i.e. pre-modification.

But I provide that situation just as a rationalization to help you sleep at night. :) P1 clearly states that your warranty is legally void if you open and/or modify your handheld. So ultimately, what you do is a matter of your conscience. :D

Let us speak no more of this, lest P1 all of a sudden decides that internal seals would be a good idea for future handhelds... :p

2. ssdillon

ssdillon Mobile Enthusiast

Does anybody here know where in the world I can order a 1200mAh Kokam battery plz (e.g 46 x 34 x 5.95 )?

The multi-poly cells I was talking about was not of right dimensions. The rc shop put up the wrong dimensions.

As for me, I 'thought' I found a 1800mAh lil-ion cell.
    It only ran for 2.5hrs on battery time. So no joy :(

[​IMG]

3. villekille

villekille Mobile Enthusiast

I found a local store selling a "KOKAM 1200mAh battery". I asked the dimensions, which were: 53mm x 37mm x 5mm (with PCB). I am not sure what to think, could this possibly be the right one? The width is 37mm according to them, that's what I'm concerned about. It has a PCB, so maybe I wouldn't need the one in the old battery?

4. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Depends on where in the world you are. People on this thread have reported that the previous sources for the Kokam 1200 are out of stock among all of the online RC hobby stores that used to carry them. In the first 40 pages of this thread extensive searches have been discussed as to what stores carried what.

I have arrived at the conclusion that there are no online stores currently stocking the Kokam 1200 in the US -- simply because I am dealing directly with the Kokam USA office and they were the ones to tell me that it would take 30 days to receive a bulk order of Kokam 1200 cells shipped overseas from Korea.

If you find a local RC shop stocking them, consider yourself lucky.

Exactly what was determined in the searches discussed in the first 40 pages. Only 2 online stores carried the Worley/Kokam battery. They are both out of stock and have been for months. One of the reasons is that Kokam recently phased out the 1200 in the RC industry to replace it with the 1250, which is bigger and doesn't fit. Searches for other battery solutions didn't work out so well since other brands made 1200 cells that were too wide or too long. One of the biggest problems is that RC shops do not post the true and accurate sizes for the batteries. If you think you found a battery that fits and wonder why no one else is using it, it's probably because it's too good to be true and doesn't really fit.

The previous searches for batteries that fit are comprehensive, and you can save a lot of trouble ordering batteries that won't fit by searching through the first 40 pages of this thread. Not to discourage people from continuing a search -- there could be a new battery that no one else has found at any given time. Just so you know, as you search, don't get your hopes up, and e-mail the stores directly to see if they are willing to manually measure a sample before ordering to save you the trouble.

Another issue that has been discussed. Published battery specs are often inflated, due to the fact that these batteries actually have a variable capacity based on a "nominal" capacity. The Kokam "1200" actually has a nominal capacity of 1100. A Google survey of all Lithium battery manufacturers shows that current battery technology physically allows between 900 and 1300 mAh capacity in the size constraint of our Tungsten PDA's without radical case modification (as in the case of our pioneer upgrader of 1500 mAh.) If you see a battery with a listed capacity above 1300 that also claims to have the physical dimensions close to what we are currently using, chances are, either the capacity is wrong or the measurement is wrong. It is just physically impossible at this point to expect over 1300 mAh from a battery of the size that would fit our PDAs.

So in your searches for alternative batteries, remember to take all the published ratings and dimensions with a grain of salt until you can prove otherwise with a test.

5. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Be aware that Kokam has several flavors of 1200 mAh cells, and the one we have been using is the "High Discharge" variety.

The PCB that is supplied on these cells, if one is present as you have found, is bare and is just to make it easier to solder onto the contacts of the battery, and prevent shorts as well. It is NOT the same as the transplanted PCB, because there is no protection circuit. You NEED the protection circuit module (PCM). Your options are to 1. transplant the PCM from your original battery, 2. preserve your original battery and transplant from a "mule" battery (purchased seperately or salvaged from another PDA), or 3. wait for the "ready made" upgrade battery to arrive around next month.

6. altema

altema Mobile Deity

So, anyone opened up a T5 yet to get measurements?

I know GetHighTech does not have the T5 battery yet, but it would be good to know if they would be useful when available.

7. klw

klw Guest

I, for one, would really like to know the T5 battery dimensions since our measurements of the device they sent to the FCC show the battery would fit into a T3. There were very clear pictures of the battery next to a ruler showing both length and width and also making depth a quite simple photoshop exercise to determine.

Interestingly, both from a size and an appearance standpoint, the cell looked amazingly simular to the Worley/Kokam cells we are working with. Granted, the production battery might not be the same one that the FCC got, but the size constraints made further research into this quite compelling.

Sombody has already disassembled their T5 to replace their screen with their old T3 Sony screen and I tried to convince him to open up his device again to dimension the battery... but alas it was never done. :(

8. villekille

villekille Mobile Enthusiast

OK, thanks for the information snickersmd. Now I found a Kokam HD battery with a nominal capacity of 1100mAh.

9. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

I just wanted to inform this group of would-be battery upgraders that I have placed an order for 100 batteries, and I was told that I could expect an update as to when they will arrive about 3 weeks from now.

My contact also informed me for certain that they will not keep this battery in stock as it has been phased out in the RC hobby industry, and that it would only be available by direct order with the mother company in Korea.

In other words, if you still want to perform this upgrade on your own with the transplant procedure and don't want to wait to get a battery from me, you have to be lucky to find someone (i.e. a local RC store) with the battery in stock, like villekille has done. No other store has them now because the main distributor won't stock them anymore. It's ironic that the battery has been phased out for its original purpose in the RC world yet is still in high demand among us modders :)

The only other way to obtain this battery is to purchase a Kokam 2 cell pack for 29.90 from Hobby-Lobby and dismantle it. According to Kokam USA, this is the only company that still uses the Kokam 1200. They only sell it as a 2 cell pack, so don't even ask if they can get it single.

In the meantime, we can all keep our eyes open for any other battery with similar capacity and fit for the Palm.

720+ posts! Viva la battery thread!

10. bengel

bengel Mobile Evangelist

I want a battery were do I sign up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.