There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrionNE

OrionNE Cool Dude

At one time I thought I saw a program that will allow you to set your critical alert settings.

If anyone remembers the name of the program that would be great. I think it was a program like aoutoff. I have to do some checking.

OrionNE

P.S. 500th post in this thread. WOW!

***Update***

I found the program. It's called Battery Panel 0.02
    it is freeware and can be found here:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?f...AC90-82D89120A59A21BE&PartnerREF=&prodID=9492

2. ima

ima Mobile Enthusiast

I've been lurking this thread and finally took the plunge. I now have a T3.5!!!

I just ran the batterytime test and got 5:44:10 !!

The only problem I have is that the bottom screw in the tungsten don't reach the screw nut. The front and the back of the unit is closed tight but the stupid screws just won't reach the screw nut. I ended up using something else to hold it together and it works fine.

I feel pretty stupid any Ideas what I'm doing wrong with these two screws?

Thanks for a great thread.

Ima

3. klw

klw Guest

@ima:

Damn! 5:44! What battery did you use?

The bottom screws take time so be patient. I placed the edge of my T3 with the long metal piece that forms the "nut" you're talking about on the edge of a table so that the nut (properly lined up with the screw holes) was resting directly on the table. I supported the rest of the PDA with my right hand (as virtually the whole T3 was dangling off the edge of the table at this point)

Then I inserted a screw with my left hand, grabbed my screwdriver and gently bore down on it while turning the screw at the same time. Eventually it caught in the threads and I repeated the process with the other screw.

The first time you do this, it will re-align the metal case to the new dimensions and subsequent re-assemblies will be much easier.

4. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

Correction: It would have gotten a lower discharge (til 10% if I'm not mistaken), if I hadn't stopped the test. I didn't post the whole test, because I think that the true battery time is the time until the first warning pops up. And as we know it happens @ 25% or 3.73V, if you wish. After that it's just a hassle to turn off the warnings every 5-7 mins or so. Well, in my case it would have given me extra 20-30 mins, but again I do think that the real battery life time is the time until the first warning.

That's impressive! What battery do you use? Where did you find it?

5. ima

ima Mobile Enthusiast

The battery I bought was the LIPOLY Kokam HD 1200 mAh 3.7V cell from sport scale the final cost was $12.00 (when you add in shipping and handling)

I had a few digitizer problems but the more I play with it, opening and closing and several twists, it is just about normal now.

As far as runtime I got the first warning at 5:17:35 with 20% and 3.78 volts. I then clicked the warning for a final time of 5:44:10 at 10% and 3.75 volts.

Thanks again.

6. ima

ima Mobile Enthusiast

I just finished recharging for 7 hours and thought I would run the test again (this is the third time discharging and charging so that I can condition the battery)

When I started batterytime the voltage said 4.5 ( My last test started with 4.2) and within 45 sec. dropped down to 4.2 but bounced between the two for about 1.5 minutes.

Is this voltage too high? Should I be worried?

7. zolo

zolo Mobile Evangelist

Hi
    Is there a reliable site where I can purchase the "LIPOLY Kokam HD 1200 mAh 3.7V battery" to be shipped to another place then the USA?

thanks

8. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Item 1: My Kokam Battery and status

Well my Kokam Battery arrived last week, but I still haven't had a chance to play with it, because I have an upcoming exam. But this thread should hear from my results by next week.

I will be doing a before AND after Battery Time test, 3 each in series, to finally prove that there is (or isn't) significant difference.

Item 2: Kokam battery research

The battery that we're working with, listed as 1200 mAh on most stores, is in fact a 1100 mAh. This supports my earlier findings (from very first post) that there really is no such thing, technically, as a 1200 mAh battery that fits in the space we need it to. 1200 mAh is the LISTED rating for sales, but ACTUAL, "NOMINAL" ratings from the manufacturers actually place it at 1100 mAh, with a minimum rating of 1050 mAh.

This is possibly one explanation how we can all expect to get varied results with this upgrade, and also why even stock T3s or all electronics all tend to vary with their respective battery lives.

Item 3: An available Kokam Protection Circuit

I was searching for a user installable, purchaseable Protection Circuit Module (PCM) specifically for a Kokam Li-po cell. Details were not specific on the actual company site (it is, after all, a Korean business site).

Not surprisingly, I have found that Kokam USA has these PCM modules, and can supply them either separately or preinstalled on their cells (the preferred method)

[​IMG]

I contacted the sales manager, who is more than happy to supply me with the necessary PCM for "prototyping". This guy is amazing, he has replied all of my e-mails within 30 minutes to an hour of me sending them.

I will post my findings with this protected cell, versus the existing group experience with the cells and transplanted PCMs. Again, probably by next week.

Item 4: My next power project

I know, I joked about making a lithium polymer backpack. I am now actually going to make a lithium polymer belt pack, that should be no bigger nor heavier than the original GameBoy in its original belt pouch. My ideas include, small form factor, integrated charge circuit with both USB and wall adapter input, Kokam High Capacity cells (3270 mAh... EACH, maybe 2 or 3), integrated LED voltage indicator, and multiple output via USB. That's right, connect any device via USB charger cable, not just your Palm, but your MP3 player, your digital camera, your cell phone, anything. I have already started researching the circuits we'd need to build.

I know what you're thinking, "Wow, what an idea, why are you sharing it here when you could just make them, sell them, and make bunches of money?" I know right?

1. Because I'm a nice guy who believes in information sharing. :)
    2. Because I'd like electronics gurus to see this and contact me so there can be more input with the circuit design process.
    3. It's not exactly an original idea. Battery companies have been designing custom battery packs for years. Also, there is a commercial product that supposedly does similar:

[​IMG]

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7205

Of course, since the device I have in mind is homebrew with the input of a whole mobile community forum, we won't need to buy some company's proprietary connector and cable system, and I intend for this to work with all the USB charger cables you already have for your devices. And lastly, it will be way cheaper to build from scratch! :)

I know, once that project starts it will probably deserve its own thread. But not yet, not until it's started. :) Willing DIY electronics gurus need only PM me.

9. jcoltrane

jcoltrane Mobile Evangelist

Great posts, snickersmd. Keep 'em coming. Definitely like the way you're headed, particularly with using Kokam's pcb. If we could find a source for the palm connector it might make this conversion an easy upgrade for even the most tech-phobic T3 owner.

Will be watching for your follow-up with interest.

Also, if you're interested, it might be helpful if you want to photograph the steps involved as you upgrade for a possible guide to be assembled. I've been wanting to put one together, but don't have the photos for it. And if you gain performance improvements from using the Kokam pcb that might become the new standard.

Either way, good luck!

10. eric kyznetslov

eric kyznetslov Mobile Enthusiast

Good thread ...

Out of curiosity (I'm not an electronics technician) what would happen if you simply glued this Kokam battery to the outside (at the upper end of the back so it's not in contact with the slider), and hooked it up in parallel to the internal battery? (I recognize this would make it impossible to still use the "leather" cover which clips on to the back at the same place, but that's a different issue).

The dimensions suggest that it might only tilt the T3 a minor bit, so should still fit on the standard cradle.

But would the standard cradle/charging circuit be able to handle charging two batteries simultaneously?

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.