There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snickersmd

snickersmd Mobile Deity

Don't wanna burst your bubble, but I used to own an NX80, and curious soul that I am I opened the battery compartment and pulled the battery out shortly after purchasing it. The battery technology is the same as what we've been working with: lithium polymer. It will have the same "malformed gel pack" look that you describe.

Granted, Sony makes premium polymer batteries, but I wouldn't bet on it fitting the T3. If the sizes are exact, then as per klw's own experience, it's tricky to get anything wider than 34 mm into the space because of the T3 circuit board, and the battery is slightly above 36 mm.

Yeah it might sound like I'm trying to dash your hopes, but on the other hand you spent 9.95 on a battery which you are finding has little difference from the original vs. considering spending over 30 for a battery that has little chance of fitting. When I get my battery I'll report my findings, you may just have a dud and will have to buy another Kokam... or we'll both be left with that wonderful, what-the-hell-did-I-go-through-all-the-trouble-for-feeling. :p And in that case, at least we'll be in the same gripe boat together. :)

2. OrionNE

OrionNE Cool Dude

I ran batterytime again and this time I did a Hard Reset. then turned off bluetooth, Beam Receive off and dimmed the screen all the way down.

I then loaded battery time and let it rundown.

I got 4hour 20min. Going to try it again after a charge. It might just need to cycle the battery a few times or I might have somthing loaded that is draining the battery.

I'll keep you all posted.
    (starting to feel better about the upgrade now.)

OrionNE

3. TMann_2

TMann_2 Mobile Deity

Well, I'm in the middle of my T3 upgrade:

1. I purchased a Kokum/Worley 1200 mah battery.
    2. Disassembled my T3
    3. Have a mule battery to use for the circuit board. Ready to remove the circuit board and solder it to the new battery....but now I'm stuck.

How do I tell which tab on the circuit board should be be soldered to the positive lead on the new battery and which should be soldered to the negative lead? The circuit board has one tab which is soldered to the old battery just below the board. There is another tab which runs the length of the battery and is soldered to the other end of the battery. So one end is the positive end and the other is the negative end; but which is which? (Is that clear? I'll try to get a picture posted if necessary.)

Any help would be appreciated.

TMann

4. OrionNE

OrionNE Cool Dude

The one that runs the lenght of the battery is the (+) Positive. I used a voltage meter to figure that out. Good Question.

Good luck!

OrionNE

5. lin_simon

lin_simon Mobile Enthusiast

hey
    i noticed u ordered a kokam and a e-tec battery
    what made u choose 1 over the other?

6. TMann_2

TMann_2 Mobile Deity

You guys are the best. :D

TMann

7. OrionNE

OrionNE Cool Dude

The E-Tec is to long. I was hoping that they had measured wrong or were off a little. (If you haven't noticed a lot of the sites do not measure correctly or post the wrong pictures.) The E-Tec model I ordered is a more high performance. That bosted the runtime of a 1400mAh at about the same size as a 1200mAh battery. However as you can tell from the pictures. It would not fit. So yeah I pretty much threw $20.00 out the window. But someone had to try or we would have never known.

OrionNE

8. lin_simon

lin_simon Mobile Enthusiast

by how much was the e-tec one too long?
    im thinking about getting one of those for my T|T1

9. TMann_2

TMann_2 Mobile Deity

Well, I think I may have buggered up my Kokum battery.

After getting the circuitboard soldered onto the battery, I tried to fit the battery into the T3's case. Of course, it was too tight, so I tried to "ever-so-gently" squeeze the battery with some wooden blocks and a vise. (BTW, the original thickness and width of the battery were 6 and 35 mm, respectively.) I think that I may have overdone it as there was a small amount of clear, oily fluid leaking out of the battery. Bummer...

Being the eternal optimist that I am, though, I crammed it into my T3, put it on the AC charger, which is sitting next to my gas furnace, and near my fireworks collection and left for the evening. I'm sure it'll be fine...:D

Seriously, though, I expect that this battery is toast and I am fearful of doing anything more with it. Any experts have any advice at this point?

TMann

10. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

Throw it away ASAP! This fluid is kinda toxic, you know. It's OK to solder the board to another battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.