There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odessa

Odessa Mobile Deity

If this conversion works T3 will be pirfect for me, the only issue I have with it now is short battery life, 30% larger battery will add another 1-1.5 hours.

2. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

Well, I see what you trying to say. Are you sure that there is a charge controlling circuit in the charger? I don't think that charger has anything of that nature, because otherwise the charger would stop the charging process and SIGNAL YOU ABOUT IT (the only way to say to you that the battery is fully charged is to turn the green indicator light off, isn't it?), but instead the light is always on, no matter how long a palm's been in the cradle. IMHO if they had put that circuit in the palm charger, they would have called it something like "a new modified charger with a built-in advanced microcontrolled board that has enhanced..." and charge you more money for it. :)

Moreover, the only thing that the manual states about the charging process is that "..(palm) requires about 15 to 30 minutes of charge time per day, depending on usage." (Ha-ha-ha, another freaking lie!)

And why did you drag NiCd/NiMh into this? I never said or assumed anything like this.Check the link that Igor posted - there is a lot of info about battery charging. Li-Ion and Li-Poly in particular

3. palmfetish

palmfetish Mobile Deity

Ok. So if that's really the case and there's no protocol, then things aren't looking good.
    Couldnt we use the info in their charge/discharge graphs and try to compare w/ whatever we come up w/ on the T3 and TE's?

Maybe we could lookup the manufacturer's sites? Or write to them?? How about checking gov't records using whatever identifiable info are found on them (reg #s for e.g.)?

Edit:

KLW: about the battery compartment itself, are the 'spacers' plastic or the same sheet as the case? (Im thinking 'red-hot scalpel and a 1350mAh battery :)

4. klw

klw Guest

The issue is not so much those plastic spacers as it is the fact that the main circuit board goes right up to that point. It's the circuit board the battery lies against. On the other side is the metal case, so 35mm is it in terms of available width.

5. klw

klw Guest

Also, in terms of charging circuits, in Li-Poly it has always been my impression that WolfRX's take is correct (the battery circuitry regulates the charge from a constant external source). Otherwise, how could Worley be making this "general purpose" model aircraft battery in the first place? The lawsuits from exploding batteries would have driven them out of business long ago. I'm only bench testing from a steel tray becuase I'm a paranoid guy by nature....

6. xsnrg

xsnrg High Enery Gadgeteer

What's ETA on the battery KLW? I'm watching this thread like a hawk :)

7. palmfetish

palmfetish Mobile Deity

Ah! The board itself did not come to mind. Whats the possibility that the battery would shed a little size by losing its 'skin?' its usually the case that the thick plastic is only serving as a cover.

Hard to believe a little battery is creating such a stir.
    (OMG, I'm beginning to think like 9. This cant be good.) :)

8. klw

klw Guest

I should have the battery in no more than 10 days according to the auto-reply I received from Balsa Products.

9. klw

klw Guest

Well your cover hypothesis is certainly correct for the stock battery, However, I'm hoping I can just "deform" the new battery's case by 1mm without having to resort to drastic case removal surgery though.....

What I'm finding most interesting here is how they can get a battery with 25% more capacity into a space that's about the same size as the T3's current battery.....

10. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Bass Luthier

Hehehe!

Lots of research has been made on Lithium Ion batteries. We have to follow some steps in order to charge and use them safetly. Some manufacturers opt for safety, usually the big name ones, like Samsung, Sanyo, and others. Smaller manufacturers, in order to sell more, choose creating a more powerful battery, in exchange of the safety. But that does NOT mean their batteries aren't safe.

To raise a Lithium Ion current, they impregnate the eletrolyte with nickel, generating a more powerful battery. The safety decreases only in case of puncture, exposition to fire and other extreme cases. It's still safe under normal using conditions.
    Lithium Ion technology changes every six months, so that they're always finding ways to improve its charge/discharge cycle count, safety and higher currents (not necessarily in this order).

Hope that helps!

Igor Porto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.