There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Bass Luthier

Well,

That's true. But since a monitoring system is kind of difficult to obtain, if one wants to upgrade his Palm battery, he's got to take the risks.

I'm not saying it's trouble free, so if anyone is in doubt, do not do it.

I will change the battery, than I'll post the results.

Thanks for all!

P.S. Loved that free enhanced keyboard! Too bad it doesn't work on my T|E!

Igor Porto

2. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

C'mon, fellas!
    From their website: "Manufacturer suggested quick charge rate is 1C for one hour. You can use 2C, but it will shorten the life of your battery"
    For those who don't know, C is charge rate as a fraction of the capacity. For instance, 0.3C means "three tenth of the rated capacity".
    Now, what do we have? Standard Palm charger has 5V 1A and it has been sucssessfully charging YOUR BATTERIES, which are 3.7V 900mHa BTW, for QUITE LONG TIME. So, 1.2Ah is pretty much SAFE.
    Any questions?

PS T3's battery compartment is relatively much smaller than T2's BTW
    PPS I ordered one too :)
    @jcoltrane Don't worry, man. Soldering work will be minimal.

3. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Bass Luthier

I totally agree!!!

Hope my battery arrives soon!!!

Igor Porto

4. klw

klw Guest

Uh oh.... I never took mine apart... I just assumed the battery was the same. Hmmm.... I'll have to do that tonight and post dimensions....

5. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

I think it it depends on the battery u got. I have Sanyo and its about 3mm shorter than yours (although it doesn't have a nominal capacity written on it)
    Sorry for the quality -my cellphone doesn't have zoom
    [​IMG]

6. zentro

zentro member indeed

$9.50??? That's amazingly cheap! Computer companies usually charge a wad for replacement batteries...

Any idea why it's so cheap?

7. klw

klw Guest

Well, mine's apart and the T3 battery is 54 X 35 X 5mm.

However, the battery "squishes" to 54mm and it looks slightly squished in the compartment (the sides are soft) due to the fact that it was stuck in there with double sided adhesive tape and assembly cocked it towards the bottom. The compartment itself looks to be a full 35mm wide though. I'm hoping that the replacement will deform from 36 to 35 mm. I've got the extra 1 mm of thickness to play with too which should make this a non-issue.

... this is getting exciting now! 1200mAh battery in a T3! Yikes, we're talking 25% capacity improvement over the standard 900mAh battery.

8. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

It's called marketing :D

9. klw

klw Guest

Actually, I've also ordered a replacement T2 battery from PDAparts that I will cannibalize for it's connector.... So just let me say that "marketing" sucks! :rolleyes:

edit:

Anybody got a dead T1-T3 whose battery they want to donate for a higher cause???

If so plz shout now while I can still cancel the PDAparts order...

10. lak

lak Mobile Deity

No, that was not our concern. You are still thinking in terms of NiCd/NiMh type of battery charging. In case of Li batteries charging, careful control of charging current is very important. You need precise voltage and temperature readout from the built-in circuitry in the battery. Most of all, the charger must be able to determine exactly WHEN TO STOP. You cannot trickle charge Li batteries, and there is real danger of explosion when overcharged.

So the "1C" "2C" "950mAh" "1.2mAh" are not the issues here, the question is whether it has a compatible in-battery monitoring circuit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.