There Is A Possibility To Increase The Battery Capacity By Up To 40%

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wolfRx, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klw

klw Guest

The T's charging system is optimized for 3.7v Li-Ion, so we need to stick to that.

I've been surfing for batteries myself but have yet to find the definitive site that gives me voltage, mAh and dimensions. Connector type is no issue as the one from the T's current battery can be transferred.

2. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Bass Luthier

Hey!!!

I'm new around here. My name is Igor Porto, and I'm from Brazil. Recently I've discovered a new battery for my Tungsten E. I opened my PDA and measured its dimensions, and then searched all around the world for a replacement that would fit inside my Palm. I found a 1200 mAh Worley battery at www.balsapr.com.

It should arrive within 10 days or so. I'll post a review and pictures when it gets to me.

Go to the www.balsapr.com website, and look in the catalog for Worley Lithium Ion Polymer batteries. They have lots of models, and hopefully one of them will fit your PDA.

Thanks!

Igor Porto

3. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

WOW! THANKS, Igor! THANKS A LOT,MAN!

4. klw

klw Guest

Damn, that 1200MA battery is 51mm X 36mm X 4mm, has solder terminals and sells for $9.50!

Here's the link: Worley Battery Link

I just ordered one...

edit:

Here's where this 2mm wider battery has to fit. Looks like a no-brainer to me...

(for the bandwidth-impared, I apologize in advance for the size of the picture but its necessary to see just how 2mm more is gonna squeeze in)

[​IMG]

5. klw

klw Guest

Note: for those who want to rush off and try this right away, please read the following:

I am unsure whether the T3's charging circuits can safely charge this battery. Therefore, I will be initially be connecting the battery via a pigtail that will allow me to place my T3 on its cradle with the battery a safe distance away in a metal tray. At that point, I'll attempt to charge it with my T3. I'll be carefully looking at the amount of heat created as well as wether or not the T3's charging circuitry correctly recognizes the charge level of the battery.

Then I'll simulate regular and high power demand use (surfing via bluetooth) and repeat the above observations. Only if this experiment works will I adapt my PDA to fit it.

Don't just solder this thing in and hope it works folks.... Li Poly batteries can explode if charged incorrectly!

6. jcoltrane

jcoltrane Mobile Evangelist

Watching this thread with great interest...

Hoping the soldering work would be minimal, as I've never done any before...:D

7. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Bass Luthier

Hello!

KLW, that's very clever to take this security methods. You'll protect yourself and your PDA.

But, in my opinion, it will work without any problems. Lithium Ion Polymer Cells have built in protection circuits. They limit the voltage threshold, so that overcharging does not affect the battery. The circuit is inside the battery, not in the Palm's hardware.

Lithium Ion cells are standard, 3.7 volts. They usually require 3 hours of charge. So, your PDA will not recognize it as a new battery, it will 'think' it's your old battery.

Your battery should arrive before mine, because I live in Brazil, and you live in USA. Tell me if it worked well, OK?

I've researched a lot on batteries, and it's very interesting. Please visit the following links to know more about them:
    www.buchmann.ca/faq.asp
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Enjoy!

Igor Porto

8. klw

klw Guest

Yeah, you're right about the circuitry inside the battery and to tell you the truth, I'm mainly interested in whether or not my T3 will recoginze the correct charge level.

This usually is the result of a "conversation" between the battery circuitry and the T3.

9. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Bass Luthier

Hi!

I see no reason for your T3 not to recognize the new battery. The voltage is the same, the mAh rate is 33% higher, but it's OK. The charge voltage is the sime, and the charging time too.

Too little chance that it would fail. Give it a try!

Igor

10. lak

lak Mobile Deity

That's the main concern. How do you know the Palm hardware would interface properly with the 3rd party batteries? There is no standard protocol for battery circuitry design as far as I know. Many manufacturers use their own proprietary battery monitoring and charging circuitry.

So one should never take it for granted that they would work correctly. The best would be if we can find a way to monitor the charging parameters (like what we can do with Field Monitoring mode in Nokia phones) such as Voltage , Temperature, Current.... readout. Then we know that the monitoring circuitry is ciommunicating properly.

The other concern is the quality of the 3rd party program especially if you know nothing about the manufacturer. All the exploding cell phone batteries are of 3rd party or counterfeit Li batteries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.