There He Goes Again...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Apparently, it has been too long since I was able to throw my money at something that doesn't exist yet, but I decided I wanted to play around with Linux on a phone before I try and get it on one of my Pro1 (which won't happen before I get my Pro1x in August... or December...or 2022 :vbwink:). So I went for this, allegedly coming next month.

https://pine64.com/product/pinephon...tphone-open-for-preorder-soon/?v=134e701d9e05

The attraction is a) it's cheap (in part because it's a dev project, in part because it is a pretty low specced phone) and b)they are making a motomod style clamshell keyboard for it, though no idea when that will become available (current rumors are May for pre-orders). Also, while it is a geeky phone, the site provides a lot of good information and documentation like this wiki.

So, a chance to immerse myself in Linux on a phone without having to install it first and just play a bit. Like I need another device or keyboard. :vbrolleyes:

I think I've become the handheld version of a cat lady. :vbgrin: :newpalm:

Let's see if I actually get it any time in April. When I get it, I'll post impressions and reviews in this thread.

2. Hook

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

…at least there aren't any litter boxes or hairballs to deal with…although I daresay, your handhelds don't snuggle as well as a cat…:vbgrin:

4. Hook

Well, they can keep you warm. :vbwink: And I have Helga for snuggling (Bandit doesn't snuggle).

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

headcronie, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Dang. I'd love to get that on a laptop even. Hard to imagine someone put it on a phone.

Other than fxtec, this is like the coolest thing out there. Can't wait to read your updates!

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I have this huge desire to see Hook's laboratory where he keeps all these devices. I suspect there's likely swirling fog, lightning and thunder. You've got too many fun toys there, sir! :)

8. Hook

<Hook scrambles to diconnect the web cam that HC has obviously hacked into> :vbeek: :vbgrin: :vbrolleyes:

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

*That's* what we get for being part of the Zoom™ conference multi-generational crowd...RA quickly covers the phone's cameras

lelisa13p, Hook, headcronie and 3 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Removable battery and pins for external add-ons... That sounds really interesting. Apparently has fairly fast charge too. At 15W is the same rating as my S10+. Nice sensor suite, with barometer and compass. From what I read, the kill switches seem to cut the power to the modules, really killing them. Isn't that a first for smartphones, or even computers in general?

Not a fan of Linux here, so I'll pass. Be careful, Hook, you know what they say about Linux. To follow on what lelisa said about an episode for every occasion, I'm pretty sure there's an xkcd comic for every one too:

[​IMG]

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 3 others like this.