The Value of Symbian

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by Antoine Wright, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Still clinging to Palm myself, well, Aceeca, anyway.

2. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Me too actually :). I carry a phone but I also still use my Handspring Visor for reading ebooks, certain critical pim apps I love and some games.
    It's a brick but still working great :).

But on the pro Symbian side, at least in the US markets, it seems that lots of people paid a good amount to acquire unlocked Symbian devices since not as many carriers subsidize them. I would be much more likely to keep a phone for longer if I purchased it unlocked, so on that basis I could see Symbian applications sales still going strong for a long time for those users.

3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

That's its value ;)

Edit: compared to what we are seeing with other smartphone platforms, and even ones which are no longer, Symbian has enjoyed success in subsidized and non-subsidized markets. Until there's a definitive value jump for Android (and possibly iOS, WinPhone, and webOS) devices in non-subsidized contexts, Symbian's user base while not growing, will remain an area where developers can make some beans for as long, if not longer in some cases than other platforms have. I believe that it was Elop that quoted that Nokia's Symbian mobiles have a nearly 50/50 split between subsidized and non-subsidized ownership - given how many they have sold, and are still in use, there's value for the platform for those willing to venture there. Short-term, and ultimately diminishing, but a lot better prospect than some have opined in the times after the Nokia-Microsoft announcement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.