The Untold Story of NotPetya, the Most Devastating Cyberattack in History

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Aug 27, 2018.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

While not specifically PDA/smartphone/tablet related, this article nevertheless discusses a scenario which can (probably, at some time, will) impact all of us.

Link:
    https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

tl;dr version: we're all wcctbvwdtaocitpt

word_commonly_considered_to_be_vulgar_when_describing_the_act_of_copulation_in_the_past_tense (hereafter referred to by the acronym wcctbvwdtaocitpt .........which I'll never remember...)

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I read the article yesterday. It's a fascinating account and also terrifying to ponder any future possibilities/applications. We would all, as you said, RA, be well and truly screwed in that eventuality. :vbfrown:

Hook, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Reading the article, and seeing how cyberattacks are getting more common and much more damaging, I remembered the TV series Dark Angel, depicting a dystopian future U.S. where terrorists detonate a nuclear weapon in the upper atmosphere created a massive EMP that destroyed every computer and communications system. Now we're past the threshold where a nuke won't be needed for such massive damage. Interestingly (or rather, frighteningly), cyberattacks are no longer solely within terrorists' purview, but are being unleashed by nation states too. I remember the 2010 Stuxnet attack on Iran's uranium refineries, and analysts saying that such an attack required the resources of a nation-state. The U.S. and Israel are the main suspects, although it's still unknown who was behind the attack.

I wonder if we shouldn't just give up on the whole computer/internet stuff. I first thought about this when I read this comic from xkcd, especially the fifth panel:

meltdown_and_spectre.png

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

This is what nightmares are made of. Seriously. If this happened to my workplace, I'd be the one pulling 36 hour shifts, or looking for new gainful employment. I'm not a security guru either. I try to keep things patched as best as possible, but there is simply no way for me to know everything out there, what to block on the firewall, and what software to use / avoid.

Thanks for the nightmares, Rick. :eek:
    *shudder*

;)

scjjtt, raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

upload_2018-8-29_12-3-55.png

scjjtt, Hook, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

< lelisa13p staggers, then regains her footing, after being hit by a wave of nostalgia > :vbwink: