The Tech Obituary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hal, Dec 26, 2012.

1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Freeware-PalmOS

Yet another website that played with the Freeware + Palm syntax. I cannot talk too much about it. I ran into not too long ago, and it didn't have too much of a catalogue. Currently, site squatters' meat. Godspeed.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. hal

Chatteremail

You people remember when mobile email meant ONE email account in your device, with perhaps a 10~20 messages exchange along the day? It was the times when Hotmail gave you a 2~4 MB qouta (and eventually climbing up to 50~100 MB), and you said "wow!" until along came the Google spider and it threw a whole 1 GB in GMail, just in case we weren't hoarding enough crap on our devices and mailboxes. Cause, you know, not all of us are like Hook, who is indeed aware of the existence of the Delete button (oh do I envy such an ability). Naw, we like to hoard on everything, even if it's flyers put on emails.

Well, that's the reason why Treo devices were invented. I think it wasn't about putting a cellphone on a PDA, but actually putting email on a PDA, which invariably meant putting the cellphone in the PDA in the first place, and then an email client, and then an ISP, and then a micro-managing boss on our backs, and lastly the gazillion of messages on the device.

Chatteremail belonged to that era. I never used it. AFAI went with mobile email and PalmOS, my workhorse was VersaMail. Lame and crippled and skinny, but still a workhorse. So I never considered Chatteremail. I read pretty good reviews here and there, so I understand it was a reputed tool for the PalmOS platform. Odd thing, the developer of Chatteremail, Marc Blanc, was the developer of the ancient computer game Zork.

For the amount of Chatteremail reviews that I've run into, it streaks me that its full-time development actually lasted a short lifespan, about three years. Today I ran into the website and it's already site squatters' meat. If you ask me, I think Marc Blank actually stopped its development at an early stage of the Treo era, which lasted a little bunch of years ahead. He didn't wait to see the whole TreoExperience happening being shut down.

So long, Chatteremail, there are those who will miss you.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. hal

Catch.com

Hi there, BH'ers. I've been quite absent lately. Hope you all right.

Snaptic rose somewhat recently, in the middle of the note-taking craze that started about four years ago. Snaptic offered 3Banana Notes. Brought to our attention by our dear Questionfear, and thoroughly tested and (however briefly) adopted by our friend Hook. Snaptic became Catch.com, and AFAIR it came to offer Catch Notes, AK Notes (can't tell the difference), and Compass. By far the earliest of all the contemporary compass apps that now clutter all the app stores.

At some point, provided that this truly yours has been reluctant to move from PalmOS, I once posted somewhere at Catch's earshot that I wished for a PalmOS Catch app/client. Initially, the CEO / powers that be, replied me to bug them on the subject, for back then you could still find a lot of PalmOS devices around, and one of their engineers was enthusiastic about getting it on the works. Like a year later, and after a good number of so-allowed bugs, the CEO bluntly replied to me that it wasn't going to happen, thankyouverymuch. OK, not like if my life depended on it, anyway. Besides, if there's one thing in abundance today, it's note-taking apps for just any platform.

About a week ago, I saw the first nail being driven on Catch's coffin. A very surprising announcement on their Facebook page, mirrored to/from their website. There is no deeper explanation as to what "different direction" they're talking about. Downwards, for all I know. Like in "six feet under". Catch will not be available as of August 30th, 2013. So, if any of you have anything stored with them, and you feel like keeping it, it's time to pay them a visit and gather your stuff.

Couple of years back, when my dad switched from a Treo 755p to a MotoROI, I installed and implemented for him all the Catch.com thing. Catch Notes and Compass, and my dad was initially very pleased. The app and service worked like a charm, the Catch Notes seemed like a suitable replacement for the Palm Memos, of which my dad was a very heavy user. Matter of fact, speaking of digital PIM, my dad has dropped the whole thing down to Contacts and Memos. He can totallly live without a task list (not that he doesn't need one, it's just that he doesn't care about it :p ), and the Calendar is taken care of totally analogue by his assistant. Catch Notes did the job fine and neat.

OK, something happened and Catch.com is shutting down. Farewell.

EDIT ---

It has already happened. Deadline met yesterday evening. Catch.com went offline. Their Facebook page is still up. At TechCrunch, where I read the second source of this news, the article read that there is still a business-class service held by Catch.com, and perhaps that's the 'different direction' they were talking about. But as of the rest, Catch.com can be taken as OPD.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Hello, hal! You have been missed. Thanks for the post!

hal likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Glad to see you, hal.

Yes, this is what most concerns me about cloud services. Not security, but the fact that the profit model isn't huge and as they figure that out an things shake out we will be left with only a few powerful players so if you happen to bet on the wrong horse, you are going to have to find all that data a new home. Also, a problem if you don't like the horse that's winning.

Give me local storage and sync. I never go out of business. :rolleyes:

JRakes, hal and scjjtt like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Good to hear from you hal ;)

hal likes this.
  7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Yes, very good to hear from you, Hal! :cool:

And Hook's last comment is spot on! :newpalm:

hal likes this.
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Hal - you were missed...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

hal likes this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Good to hear from you Hal.

I'm not sure I follow that Catch thing though. If it was available for Palm, why did you need to ask them to make an app/client? Do you mean a desktop app/client? Too bad it didn't work out.

hal likes this.
  10. hal

Hello, people, thanks for the welcome-back :)

EdmundDantes, Catch.com followed the clouded-storage service model, like Evernote, and syncing to assorted platforms thanks to apps/clients. There was never a Catch client for PalmOS, that's why I requested they considered one. But they never did it. And I never went back to pester on the subject. BTW, on yet another end of the wire, Catch.com didn't offer sync to Office Outlook. So neither of the ends that I needed was available, anyway. In fact, if I had to choose, I would actually have better had a sync resource to Outlook in the first place.

You know, Hook, I am just as fond of local sync as you do (and Joe for the case), but in the recent times I have been using clouded services on an increasing basis. I was syncing my Treo to GMail under Exchange ActiveSync, but they pulled the plug off for the free accounts, and now I have it under IMAP and I can't sync Contacts and Calendar through it. I can still do the thing because I have yet another GMail account that works with Google Apps, but the accounts swap can take me quite a while and not little effort. If I ever speak to a Google rep, I will say that I consider the EAS shutdown a personal offense. In the meanwhile, I'm back to ye olde and reliable local sync.

Speaking of the winning horse metaphor, I couldn't agree more. I am not really fond of Evernote, for instance. I am much better with MS OneNote, but its local/clouded assembly is by far less simple or practical than Evernote's. OneNote is much more effective but I'm tired of trying to make it work in simple ways. The Catch resources took over the subject in a very similar manner to Evernote, and they were kind of reliable... for a while, which in turn takes us to your assertion regarding how things shake out in the world of digital tech.

RickAgresta, Mi An and EdmundDantes like this.