The Tech Obituary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hal, Dec 26, 2012.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

the developer, Jason Robitaille, is still around:

Canuck Coding

lelisa13p and hal like this.
  2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Thanks for the heads-up, Rick. So the latter tombstone shall be only valid for the original trademark, Canuck-Software. It's good to see that the developer is still in the business. I took a quick glance at his newer website and I notice efforts done on much more contemporary platforms.

It's a commonplace. An entrepreneur-to-the-core is not easy to demotivate. Sometimes they shut down only to reopen under a different trademark. My grandad (dad-side) did likewise for at least three times.

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. hal

MotionApps

A brief ally to Palm in the wake of the WebOS era. MotionApps Classic was a (reportedly) excellent Palm OS emulator for WebOS. To the point where, IIRC, MotionApps Classic became a pre-installed application in WebOS v.1. But Palm decided not to bundle it pre-installed in WebOS v.2 (IIRC), and it decided to allow a given number of incompatibilites amongst, surely cause Palm expected it as a transition tool, not as a final stage resource. MotionApps Classic then handed the whole development to Palm, and called it quits.

MotionApps kept into business with a number of apps for Palm OS and WebOS. Currently the website is down. Farewell.

EDIT: MotionApps was a Brighthand forum member. Clarification aimed at the members who didn't get in touch with him/her (never learned who was the rep behind the posts).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Hook and scjjtt like this.
  4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

''To dream the impossible dream...'' was my hopes - to have a Pre 3 running classic by MotionApps and to have the best of 2 OS's, Palm OS and Web OS - but both (Pre 3 and Classic) got the ax. I guess Palm/HP wasn't willing to ''march into hell for a heavenly cause.''

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk

5. hal

A totally impossible dream, Scott. For the time WebOS v.3 arrived, the whole Palm/MotionApps deal had gone six feet under. And just in case it had worked, Palm was doing its own homework with WebOS, wretching all possibilities of making it a prosperous platform, and scaring off all the developer community (relevant sideline if you take into account that with no WebOS there's no MotionApps Classic). And just in case Palm had made WebOS a lasting platform, here comes HP to crush all remnants of hope.

A really really sad story.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. hal

Treonauts

One of the prime sites of the Treo era. Treonauts, in a very similar fashion to Brighthand, comprised a whole "portal" (now this term really sounds old, haha!!) dedicated to a mobile generation, and specifically to the Treo saga, at least on the word, cause it wasn't totally confined to Treo/Centro, actually it also covered Palm PDAs and whatnot. It had a blog, an online store, tech reviews, forum, archives, and some other thingies.

I don't remember the last time that I hopped in. Yesterday night, I noticed that the forum states a shut down. I don't know how much time has this announcement been there, perhaps for some time already. The forums are OPD, but other features of the site are dead too. The last entry on the blog dates back to July 2009.

Farewell, Treonauts.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. hal

Symbian

This OS was born out of EPOC, the OS of the PSION devices, which were the first true PDAs in history. The name of Symbian revealed much of its intention: with it, they tried to do what Windows did to the PCs a decade before, this is, to offer a unified platform. But it never happened. Mobile platforms evolved to a variety and pace of their own, and Symbian became one out of many. However, there was a time in which it really dominated the mobile segment. Symbian was an OS. And it was a foundation. And it was taken over by Nokia, which turned it into a corporation (meaning for-profit). After Nokia had serious issues of its own, and made a deal with Microsoft, deal that I still don't totally understand, it sent Symbian to the second step and started working with Windows Phone. And now, Nokia has silently pulled the plug. It will focus on Windows Phone.

I hope that I'm not placing a tombstone too early. If I'm proven wrong, this post can be deleted :) However, in the wake of the current news, Symbian deserves a farewell.

There's a cross post at the Symbian forum. Moderators, please assess whether that other post/thread is relevant or not.

8. hal

Deadline is deadline. The last nail has been driven into the eReader coffin. There is no more user access to accounts. I only hope I have plundered the place on time.

There are things I will miss about eReader. This is the end of an era. I started using ebooks in the late 90's. Mostly PDFs, and kept on this format as my standard of choice, until I got my first Palm and all of a sudden it was all about getting books through eReader. Man did I enjoy those days. If I tried to print all the ebooks I got from there, I would need a house for all that paper, and another house to live in. Eventually other formats came to my attention, like MobiPocket, that I sadly adopted late as well. Currently I'm mostly reading in whatever format I can get any given ebook. As I posted before, things happen for a reason, and there are also things I won't miss about eReader, I mean the website. The true pioneer in mobile ebook platforms has been OPD. Time to move on.

lelisa13p, Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  9. hal

PumaTech
    When the Mobile Golden Age started, desktop synchronization was due a must for any user who conceived a whole usage of the mobile platform. Palm bundled a then-flawy HotSync Manager, and Microsoft was pushing its ActiveSync technology in order to make it the industry standard. At a given point, Palm admitted its own shortcomings on the subject and 3d party developers were motivated to work on it. Synchrologic created an excellent option called IntellySync. EasySync was another piece of software, bundled as the sync option with the IBM Palm OS devices. However the most acclaimed software was Chapura PocketJournal, which was bundled with the Palm PalmOS devices for a good number of years.

Synchrologic was purchased by PumaTech, and the latter renamed itself IntellySync. I reckon the renaming was done in order to gain commercial momentum thanks to the direct exhibition of a single brand. In 2006, Intellisync was purchased by Nokia in order to cover its own gaps in the synchronizations department. In 2008 Nokia disemboweled all the Intellisync assets and put them to work on different locations pursuing its own push email service, within the Nokia Email Strategy. And I wonder if it works.

Intellisync covers a full page ad in an old catalog bundled with my IBM WorkPad c3. It used to be a serious competitor to Chapura and EasySync. Currently, it only competes with papers inside a patent portfolio. Farewell.

10. hal

Freeware-Palm.com

Yet another website that played with the Freeware + Palm syntax. I visited this website on a regular basis during my Palm apps craze back in 2004~2005. It never had anything that you could call innovative. More likely, it had a lot of apps that you could call 1st generation apps: monographic, caged-monkey, and smelling like moths. Pure and fine abandonware. This is one of the best examples of what can happen with freeware-only websites: they can easily turn into apps landfills. Anyway, I remained a devote to the website as I regularly surfed into it looking for something useful. AFAIK it belonged to the MobiWare ring. Or holding. Or whatever it is (was).

Today I remembered of it and I dropped by, only to discover it's already site squatters' property. Thanks to the Wayback Machine, I found a recently crawled & cached copy of the website, and yes of course, there was a detail I slightly remembered, the last update was done on July 15th, 2010. So it was almost three years without any changes. Actually, about time that whoever was the owner stopped paying website hosting for a place nobody visited anymore.

Many of its download links were broken since long, but that was also due to the issues on the other end of said links. Most of its apps were incredibly outdated (OK, just PalmOS and WebOS, what were you expecting). All of its catalogue was full of redundancies, like all the versions of the same useless app, and all of its catalog was actually a straightforward dump, meaning all of the apps were mixed altogether, with a basic classification on the left pane. Anyway, I stop for a second on the place in order to say thanks. A handful of quite useful apps were taken by me from the place. This place meant a great deal of effort and advocacy to somebody. But it's time to pull the plug. Godspeed.