The Tech Obituary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hal, Dec 26, 2012.

1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Hands High Software

Timely announced. This corporation belonged to the first generation of Palm OS third-party developers that rose during the Dot Com Bubble. Hands-High Software developed many applications with a moderate to high success. Many of those applications actually became popular thanks to alliances with other corporations.

Phone Log was a good Palm OS journaling app, namely oriented to document phone calls (go figure), but it lacked a desktop app with a conduit. Chapura Software took Phone Log and revamped it as Chapura PocketJournal (which I incidentally use on a daily basis :) ); this re-work done by Chapura can talk through a conduit to MS Office Outlook, landing the entries in the Outlook Journal. One of the best journaling apps ever. Slap is this odd app that offers a screen to input text, that can then be used to create an entry in the Calendar, or the Contacts, or the Tasks, or Email, or several other applications. This app offered the weird scope of inputting first the text, and in second place selecting the application of destination. The very same text could be used to input something in more than one PIM app. But it had a lowly success, until it was offered by SplashData as Snap! for Palm and Treo. The Snap! installation that I use even has its DBs named after the original app. Several other apps were incorporated in education-oriented bundles, such as ThoughtManager, which was offered in Teacher, Student, and Viewer versions. I tried two of these versions, but I declined cause they were pricy for what they actually offered. In the early years of the last decade, these bundles were tried in several education institutions looking forward to the era of lecturing without paper.

Farewell, Hands-High.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. hal

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

And so, like a fool, I had to click the link and go over there, inflicting the hurt upon myself all over again. :(

headcronie and hal like this.
  4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Exactly:(

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk

5. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

This thread made me cry a little. www.tapwave.com Did anyone here have a Tapwave Zodiac? I loved it, but sadly they suffered from poor execution. I loved the device though.

headcronie likes this.
  6. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

The forums.palm.com which morphed into forums.hpwebos.com is now located on HP's main Community Forum.

As a former Mod there with around 13.5 K posts, it was a bit of a shock when the site was shuttered, and assimilated into the Main HP Forum. It did make financial sense though - why pay for two iterations of lithium forum software when one will suffice? Unfortunately, they only moved the last 4 years of posts, and I lost around 5,000 posts... :-(

Some of my favorite sticky posts that I authored did not survive the transition, and I was thankful that I cross-posted some of them to Brighthand.com! I was able to copy and paste them to the new location! :)

We still have a section devoted to PalmOS. Any of you Palm compatriots are welcome to contribute to this reduced pool of knowledge!

Since I moved on with Palm to webOS, I've been watching for the demise of the former PreCentral.com (now webOSnation.com). Another great website doomed by technology's aggressive march.

WyreNut

lelisa13p, Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

WyreNut, does that mean that my old registration there is no good now? I'd hate to register again. Uh oh, it looks like I need a HP Passport account. :(

UPDATE: I tried my registered info and can't get in. Oh, well. Sometimes nostalgia isn't worth the trouble. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Before PreCentral was PreCentral wasn't it TreoCentral?

All I know is that my registration transferred into WebOS Nation & I frequent there almost daily - but rarely leave any posts.

Lelisa - I hope that's good news for you & others...

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk

9. hal

In this modern world, where there are shut-downs, merges, forward-merges and backwards-merges, there are still things that I have to figure out. Such as this WebOSNation, that from the distance seems like a big aggregation of websites that independently had less impact, am I right?

TapWave! I believe I have been in the vicinity of two TapWave Zodiacs, in my life. These devices were never popular in Mexico, or they were confined to their niches of advocacy, I can't tell. In mobile gaming, Mexico was 100% Nintendo Gameboy, until it got so old that you couldn't find cartridges anymore. For a brief period, the Nokia NGage ruled the streets, but it lasted less than two years. And then it became PSP Nation. When I'm riding the Big Orange Worm (I mean the subway :) ) I can count more PSPs of any generation than I can count cellphones. Weird trend for a country that is still Dumbphone Domination Turf.

Magellan, don't feel bad if this thread made you cry a litte. It only shows that you're just as silly as I am :p If it's wrong to love the inanimate objects, I reckon it's even wronger to weep for downed websites :D :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. hal

Google Notebook

OK, I know Brightand is mobile-devoted and all that, but I wish to stray for a while from the mobile paradigm, in order to pay respects to Google Notebook. Simple, limited, and ugly, but it worked like a charm. This is actually where I started getting my feet wet in the so-called Cloud. Besides, it seems to me that Google kind of gave away the API or the SDK inside the corn flakes boxes cause a gazillion of developers created applications, clients, and widgets all of them talking to Google Notebook. It was like a Windows Notepad but clouded, and if you take into account that the Windows Notepad can compile, then the Google Notebook was even less featured that the latter :p

Years ago I got into the habit of keeping a Windows Notepad open, instead of a bloc of stickies at the side of the keyboard. This is one of the habits that has allowed me to use less and less paper throughout time. I downloaded this little app that could sync to Google Notebook and then many of those 'stickies' started going clouded, and I'm talking about several years ago, before Evernote and all that. There were quite a number of apps and widgets in order to land notes on google Notebook. Beginning with this year, this service was announced due to die, and in July it was killed. Google had gently automated a migration of all data in a Google Notebook account to Google Docs, so I didn't lose a single byte.

So long, Google Notebook, you will be remembered.

Mi An and EdmundDantes like this.