The Tech Obituary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hal, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Always great to hear from you again, hal! :newpalm:

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Indeed, always good to hear from our long-time, if less active, friends, Hal - Hope you're doing well! :cool:

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Hello, hal! I'm glad you're still around. By the way, IrDA has been resurrected: Back from the dead: why do 2013's best smartphones have IR blasters? :newpalm:

I have IrDA on my LG G2. Here are other phones: Compare Infrared Smartphones

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

hal! [​IMG]

Hook and hal like this.
  5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Thank you, people! You know, I wish the daily schedule allowed me to log in to Brighthand, like in the good old days. Anyway, I try to, whenever there's a fine chance :)

I'm gonna look into that, Jig :p

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Geez what a good article, Jig and people. I quote: "Nokia even put IR blasters on its dumbphones years before smartphones were in the picture". Man that was truth. My mom had a Nokia 3320 (TDMA version of the 3310) and she could beam something to my Palm when I was standing like 12 m (like 38 ft) away. IR blasters is the word. My Palm Zire 31 also had an IR port so powerful that I could beam back to my mom's phone.

And, while I agree with the author in that IrDA was not an absolute necessity in a smartphone, or a PDA for the case, lemme point out that using my Zire 21, a cellphone with IrDA and this weird software by movistar (my carrier), I got Internet connection, under dial-up, to my Zire 21. Actually the hardest thing was to find the leanest of all web browsers for Palm OS that could be run by the Motorola Dragonball processor, which was OMAP, not ARM-architectured. I wish I had videotaped the experience :D

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

That reminds me of back when I connected my Palm IIIxe to internet via irda and a co-worker's Palm phone.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook and hal like this.
  8. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

MSN Messenger July 22, 1999 - October 31, 2014

After announcing their plans to shut down MSN messenger services a year or more ago, a date's finally set. Its final shutdown date is set for October 31st of this year. I remember having my first experiences with it in 2009, and it seems many people my age have fond memories for the service. I just find it unfortunate that after the 31st, the only remnant of the software will (hopefully) be the ability to continue talking to your MSN through Skype.

Here comes the tough decision for me: go ahead and merge my MSN and Skype accounts now so I can get used to how things will be going forward, or stick it out how I've been using it until the bitter end? :confused:

scjjtt likes this.
  9. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Apparently Teal Point Software is now gone. No signs, just servers not working. As with all stuff Palm related, not a surprise, but I was still using Teal apps on my Dana as they were one of the few Palm developers that programmed in compatibility with Dana's wide screen functions. If I missed this earlier in this thread, I apologize, but I didn't see it. Happened to want to check in on them tonight and all links draw blanks.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

Looks like they went under very recently; the last capture the Wayback archive has of the site is from last march. I remember playing around with Tealmovie before I knew about Youtube and being amazed by what it could do.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.