The Tech Obituary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hal, Dec 26, 2012.

1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

During this year, several of the websites I visited on a regular basis, have gone down. This has meant corporations shutting down operations, perhaps people unemployed, and a broken continuum of products or services. Many of them have supplied us over the years with resources for productivity, entertainment, knowledge, and much more. Here's an homage to them, whether they have shut down during this specific year, or not.

Chapura

A real pioneer in mobile applications. Chapura provided many of the key elements for the success of the Palm OS platform. Farewell, Chapura. FWIW, in my devices there are still applications of your coinage.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    jigwashere likes this.
  2. hal

PalmGear

After it was acquired by Motricity, PalmGear kept its own website until it was merged to PocketGear's, only to resurface a year later. PalmGear was later sold to Appia Networks, and merged with HandanGo, but for a good number of months the former kept its website, until any web search done to PalmGear redirected to HandanGo. Recently, I noticed that the original PalmGear website redirects to a site squatter.

Farewell, PalmGear, I appreciate all the years of good provision of apps.

3. hal

Palm

Geez this one hurt. Even though this mention is rather untimely, I didn't wish to rule it out. I know it's wrong to love the inanimate objects, but this corporation created products and solutions that really changed my lifestyle. So long, Palm, and thank you.

Currently the Palm domain redirects to the HP WebOS project. I really hope they can make it work, and last.

Scoobie10 likes this.
  4. hal

eReader

Even though the website still exists, the notification has been sent, so a tombstone is already due. Thank you, eReader, for all the years of good service, and not-thank-you, for the other years where you orphaned me when you decided that my money was not good with you. In the end, what I will miss is the true and original Palm Reader, created by Peanut Press.

Mi An likes this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Avantgo

Avantgo was always a daily part of my life. As I would sync every morning, with just a simple press of a button, updating my Palms with tasks, schedules, memos, contacts, to-do lists, and emails - Avantgo would too sync with the internet with my favorite news sources and tech informational I could read throughout the day.

Here is a good summary of the company: http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/6884/avantgo-going-away/

I really agree with you Hal when you wrote: "I know it's wrong to love the inanimate objects, but this corporation created products and solutions that really changed my lifestyle."

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    jigwashere and hal like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

For me, this is the key thing that has been lost in the brave new "smartworld." Integrated sync. I use Companion Link because it at least gives me calendar, contacts and notes (I'm not a big to-do guy) integrated. There are cloud options that are in some cases better, but each one is a separate sync channel syncing to some different destination (and usually only indirectly to either my desktop or my handheld).

It is incredible to me that 10 years ago we had the holy grail of integrated sync and we lost it because PDAs died and we were forced to replace them with media players that make phone calls.

Sigh.

7. hal

Scott, the only reason why I didn't use AvantGo is because I arrived late to the PDA party, so it took some time to me before I got the grip on the segment, and the demise of AvantGo occurred before I could start using it. I even downloaded a number of resources in order to use it, only to discover that it was being shut down. Anyway, I didn't use AvantGo, but I miss that kind of functionality. The time when things worked, and worked simple but effective.

AvantGo is a good addition to the obituary, pal.

"Media players that make phone calls"... :D I had a cyberpunk vision, like if 15 years ago somebody saw me using a paper binder organizer and a cellphone, and suddenly exchanged my binder for a cassette Walkman and told me: "there you are, just what you need to get organized". This is the kind of scenarios that would make anybody cry in anger 'why do you think that this is what I neeeeeed', but currently they're doing exactly that, only done under the subtle hood of digital tech.

8. hal

Palm OS Freeware - FreewareLovers

OK, not the shiniest of all freeware stars, and much of a garbageware hoarder. I used to visit this site in my early PDA years. FWIW, its catalog was clean and clear. Currently another addition for the site squatters.

Godspeed.

9. hal

MyTreo.net

Just for the case some Palm-illiterate person runs into this thread, I have to clarify something about this website. Cause the hardcore Palm advocates, you people don't even need to read the whole domain.

This site had one of the (if not the) best Palm OS software catalogs in the known universe. Each app had been carefully traced, stored, reviewed and offered. As this catalog worked on locally-stored applications (unlike others that redirect to the developer's own website), there were many applications available even if the developer had nuked his own earthly possessions. I ran into this website on and off in my early Palm PDA days, until jig pointed me at several applications, and eventually I figured that it was a keeper all by itself. Currently, site squatter meat.

Thank you for all your solid service. Godspeed.

lelisa13p likes this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Pocket Tunes

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/

What a great app that got even better for me when I finally decided, 4 years ago, to move to 1 device (Centro) from a phone & a palm pda.

It was neat to be able to listen to all sort of stations as well as all of the espn podcasts & espn live (I have a hard time now getting some of the stuff I got off of Pocket Tunes. The espn radio app for android doesn't even give me what espn radio is doing live.)

And downloading podcasts - it was simple. I had a couple of daily 30 minute podcasts that I would want to listen to when able throughout the day. Pocket Tunes would grab those for me at night as I slept & they were then stored on my card to listen to whenever I wanted.

Ah, those were the days..,

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and hal like this.