The screen is 16-bit color.

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by Adama D. Brown, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I just heard from the 210's product manager via HP's PR firm. The display on the 210 is, indeed, 16 bit color as opposed to the 18-bit that the specs list. They're updating the information now.

2. DrQuincy

DrQuincy Mobile Evangelist

Wow! I hope that they decide to adjust the price and offer rebates (one can hope). This is a really disappointing admission by hp. So the 210 loses more ground to the iPod Touch.

3. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Yeah, and I'm not betting the farm on USB Host either. :rolleyes:

4. Adama D. Brown

The product manager was very clear and explicit on the presence of USB Host, confirming it twice.

5. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

I wasn't trying to be snippy. However, USB Host is the one feature that might finally tilt me towards the 210, being able to use my Neo as a keyboard. Therefore, I will wait for absolute confirmation of USB host capability from someone actually using it before I think of taking the plunge, if I do. :)

I generally don't trust HP very much.

6. Adama D. Brown

Clearly. :)

As an aside, though, somebody around here posted their results from testing all of the pins on the 210's connector with a multimeter. Among the results was one pin which was 5 volts outbound, which would make most sense as being the power pin of a USB Host plug. Still, you're right that it doesn't hurt to have full confirmation.

7. kuo1yang

kuo1yang Mobile Enthusiast

Wow...that's unbelievable...

I will never buy anything from HP again.

8. dkimak

dkimak Silent Observer...

Is this THAT critical an issue to you? I love my 210 for what it can do. Even though I too think little of HP and how they communicate with their customers...

9. stallen

stallen Mobile Deity

This is very disappointing to me as well.:( I was attracted to the "18-bit" 260 color display. That is one of the reasons I thought this device was worth the extra $. Overall, I'm pleased with the device, but I did not get what I thought I was paying for.:mad: I too think some sort of compensation is in order.:newpalm: This is my first HP device (besides a printer years ago). It will be my last unless they handle this properly.:(

10. MD1032

MD1032 Mobile Evangelist

Wouldn't an OS update allow for a future higher color upgrade? An LCD is an LCD... I don't see why hardware would limit its color output. Then again, I know very little about displays.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, 16-bit color is still really good. Isn't it somewhere around 50,000 colors?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.