The screen is 16-bit color.

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by Adama D. Brown, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I just heard from the 210's product manager via HP's PR firm. The display on the 210 is, indeed, 16 bit color as opposed to the 18-bit that the specs list. They're updating the information now.

2. DrQuincy

DrQuincy Mobile Evangelist

Wow! I hope that they decide to adjust the price and offer rebates (one can hope). This is a really disappointing admission by hp. So the 210 loses more ground to the iPod Touch.

3. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Yeah, and I'm not betting the farm on USB Host either. :rolleyes:

4. Adama D. Brown

The product manager was very clear and explicit on the presence of USB Host, confirming it twice.

5. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

I wasn't trying to be snippy. However, USB Host is the one feature that might finally tilt me towards the 210, being able to use my Neo as a keyboard. Therefore, I will wait for absolute confirmation of USB host capability from someone actually using it before I think of taking the plunge, if I do. :)

I generally don't trust HP very much.

6. Adama D. Brown

Clearly. :)

As an aside, though, somebody around here posted their results from testing all of the pins on the 210's connector with a multimeter. Among the results was one pin which was 5 volts outbound, which would make most sense as being the power pin of a USB Host plug. Still, you're right that it doesn't hurt to have full confirmation.

7. kuo1yang

kuo1yang Mobile Enthusiast

Wow...that's unbelievable...

I will never buy anything from HP again.

8. dkimak

dkimak Silent Observer...

Is this THAT critical an issue to you? I love my 210 for what it can do. Even though I too think little of HP and how they communicate with their customers...

9. stallen

stallen Mobile Deity

This is very disappointing to me as well.:( I was attracted to the "18-bit" 260 color display. That is one of the reasons I thought this device was worth the extra $. Overall, I'm pleased with the device, but I did not get what I thought I was paying for.:mad: I too think some sort of compensation is in order.:newpalm: This is my first HP device (besides a printer years ago). It will be my last unless they handle this properly.:(

10. MD1032

MD1032 Mobile Evangelist

Wouldn't an OS update allow for a future higher color upgrade? An LCD is an LCD... I don't see why hardware would limit its color output. Then again, I know very little about displays.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, 16-bit color is still really good. Isn't it somewhere around 50,000 colors?

11. Warden

Warden PDA Guru Wannabe

*sigh* As I suspected.

You know, I really want to want the 210, because I want a new, high-end, VGA, non-phone device, and it is really the only thing out there. I was thrilled when HP announced it. But as time has gone on I have been more and more disappointed in HP's execution. The fact that they will probably still end up getting the money from me, since nobody else wants to build such a device, is frustrating, but I am definitely going to wait a bit now and see how everything works out. It's not a sure purchase in my mind now like it was six months ago.

12. wetsleet

wetsleet Mobile Deity

well, this side of the pond they have yet to confess to the loss of one speaker, so I wonder how long before they fess up to mislaying 195,000-ish colours!

13. Horup

Horup Mobile Consultant

oh my god.. I feel riped off now.. even though i'm fairly happy with my iPaq 214

14. Big-AlH

Big-AlH PDA Old Timer

15. stallen

stallen Mobile Deity

No... all LCD's are not created equal. That's kinda like saying a car is a car. And, maybe the right gas (software) will make a Toyota Camry compete is a NASCAR race.

16. Adama D. Brown

65,536, to be specific.

17. Warden

Warden PDA Guru Wannabe

For those who asked, this is how much of a difference it makes. It's actually not as much as I was afraid it would be, but still noticeable. This is a picture I took last summer that shows this sort of thing well because of the smooth gradient in the sky. On some types of pictures you wouldn't be able to spot the difference.

They are in order, 24-bit, 18-bit and 16-bit. Obviously you must be viewing this on a 24-bit desktop display for it to mean anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Horup

Horup Mobile Consultant

yeah... its hard to notice the difference if you don't know that there is a difference... still... 18bit would be nice.

19. stallen

stallen Mobile Deity

I see the difference in all three. The biggest difference is between 24-bit and 18-bit. I see less of a difference between 18-bit and 16-bit.

20. Horup

Horup Mobile Consultant

I was comparing 16bit to 18bit...
    the 24bit, ofcourse, blows them both out of the water.