The Sad Tale of a Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 and What Came Next...

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by NetBrakr, Dec 9, 2013.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

I am skipping the whole introduction of my new phone, Samsung Galaxy SII i9100, because I am having some major problems.

The device itself works fine, surf the internet with wifi / play video / listen music etc, but as phone itself, I cannot use call and text feature reliability.

I only manage to received one text msg and one make call (voice mail).

When I was at phone' info, phone number, network, etc. I noticed when I first made that one successful call, it was on Edge. o_O BUT when I tried to send a text msg, it failed.

So if someone has an idea what is the problem here, before I contact the seller, please let me know soon. I want to make this work.

Thanks all.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

In this thread, Frequently Asked Questions - xda-developers, the faq talks about "Q12: My phone cannot make calls, send messages or use mobile data. I found my IMEI as missing or starting with 0049. What do I do?" I don't know if it'll help.

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  3. NetBrakr

Thanks jig for trying to help me.

I can see the IMEI number, so I doubt it that will work. :(

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. It's way over my head, unfortunately. I hope you get it working quickly.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

5. NetBrakr

Thanks jig.

Sadly, I am running out of ideas. :( I tried different (more update) SIM card, it makes no different. :(

6. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Netb, I suspect the problem is with the APN settings somewhere. our best bet would be to get the proper APN settings from AT&T (that's who you use, right?) or ask them to help you sort it.

7. NetBrakr

I finally figured it out what is wrong!!

Hook, I did check out APNs but I didn't mess with it.

Just few moments ago, I solved my problem. In Network mode, I set it to "GSM only". It was set "GSM/WCDMA (Auto mode)"

I did looked at the Network mode yesterday, but I did only "WCDMA only" since it is 3G.

Who knew. o_O

Anyway looks like I will be using 2G for now.

I wonder why 3G isn't working, especially sometimes I saw UTMS or HSDPA in "Mobile network type". Now it is on Edge.

8. Hook

Still could be an APM problem. Another possibility is that your SIM card is old and acting up or not properly provisioned. Go to an AT&T store (a real store, not a kiosk or licensed seller) and they should give you a new SIM card free and they can make sure of the provisioning of your account. CS on the phone can do the latter, so you can try that. They can also probably check APN settings. Normally I don't have to mess with APNs on AT&T, but it may have been that the previous owner had settings that aren't working, given that this is an international phone.

jigwashere likes this.
  9. NetBrakr

Hook, I think you miss this...

The phone wasn't Used, was New. Anyway, I have decided to return it (for free) and get a full refund.

Attached Files:

10. Hook

Good plan! :thumbsup: But sorry. :(