The Pet Rules...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by New Cell, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Cell

New Cell Unleashed Enigma

Hi Vamp, just read the up-to-date and sorry for your soon to be loss. Truly a member of the family...:newpalm:
    In regards to your schedule and a home pet, providing a doggy door for exit is first. I obviously prefer short-haired dogs. They are simple maintence...:)

2. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

I'm so sorry to hear about your CoCo's illness. While I mourn for your pain, I am so glad that you are a loving mom and do not want her to suffer and will care for her at the end of her days as you have cared for her all of her life.
    I am grandmother to Milo, a French Bulldog and Vinnie, a Border Terrier. Vinnie is a little joker and sooooo smart. Milo snores something fierce and loves to bite bare toes, but he is a laid-back type of guy. Just from my experience, my dearest Westie was not much of a terror as long as we played a couple of times after work.:)
    cassi

3. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Mobile Deity

As a long time dog owner and lover and also a long time cat lover, I have come to realize that cats are the ideal companions. They lay in your lap and purr and that is the most loving and relaxing feeling an animal can give. They like to curl up on the bed to sleep with you. They are fastidiously (sp) clean, so very easy to care for and so much fun and love. And if you want to be gone for a couple of days, a clean litter box, a bowl of water and a big bowl of food will keep them happy for several days. And our guys, when we come back after 3 or 4 day trip they come up and look at us like "well, it's about time you came back" and then they go on back to whatever they were doing.

And there are no freinds that you can bring into your home that are bigger clowns and more fun to be around than cats.

Our 2 are essentially indoor cats. We have a screened patio and they play out there and they play in the house. But they never run free outside.

Vampy, search your own heart and your own feelings and then, after hopefully ignoring what we all say, find the companion that fits your heart and your life and post pictures for us all to see. And remember CoCo always as I remember Dutch and Murphy and Charlie and Bandit and Baby and love the new companion in your home.

4. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

Well, CoCo and I had a wonderful day yesterday. We went over to a friends house for a little bit of a visit. Then we went to Kentucky Fried Chicken and she was absolutely delighted with her fancy schmancy meal of Popcorn Chicken. Then we went to a nice little sitting area in the shade next to a man-made babbling brook in my community. Then we came home and had a little nap. Then off to the appointment....I cried all the way there like a big baby. The vet was great she took her in the back room to get her IV access set up. I have a bad back, so we placed a blanket on the exam table and CoCo sat up there and I held her in my arms. She went to sleep with me holding her and telling her I loved her. It was very peaceful (but teary). She was a wonderful companion and will truly be missed. :(

I am thinking about what kind of dogs I want next because I can't live without dogs. I am interested in French Bulldogs or Samoyeds. I need to set up puppy-daycare and a lot of other things before I get some new friends. I want a brother/sister combo....but it will be a little while before I make the final decision.

5. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Mobile Deity

Vampy, thanks for sharing that with us. And it is a teary story. CoCo is at peace and you will be too.

All the best as you find your new companions and may they be all that you desire of them.

6. New Cell

New Cell Unleashed Enigma

This is a life experience for you to remember and share...
    Thanks for sharing..:newpalm:

7. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

I think we are very lucky to be able to be with our pets and have them peacefully put out of their misery. I wish we could do that for humans. I know Dr. Kavorkian got a lot of bad publicity, but I really admired him for helping so many people become the owners of their own passing. I've heard that England has a more positive attitude about dignity in dying....we are very behind the times in the US. Having worked in ICU for 16 years, I was able to help many families work through the grief of a dying loved one. We do have Hospice services which are wonderful, but still think we have too much lingering. :(

Does anyone here have a Samoyed? I really need dogs that can live outside, so think they would be good. Apparently Frenchys don't do well in the heat, so I haven't decided yet. I live in a cold climate in winter and hot climate in summer. I am not adverse to having a cute lion cut for a long-haired dog in the summer to help them be cool. I might also entertain a set of Golden Retrievers, I have had a golden in the past and they are wonderful dogs. DecisionsDecisionsDecisions. ;)

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

My dear Vamps, I have been where you are twice. Both of my kitty companions had to be helped along in the next step on their journey at the age of 17, three years apart. It was sad & lonely for me, but not so for them. They purred and went to sleep. I miss them still.

Please take a little while to feel the absence of your little one's company. It's painful in the present but comforting, too. Your new little companion will come along at just the right time and you'll be waiting to meet him or her, having savored in your heart the gifts that your CoCo gave you, in a quiet time that is just for the two of you.

Be well. :)

9. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

I had a dog (Beagle) when I was 12 and it was hit by a car. My dad called me home and it was in the grass by or house. He was looking at me when he died, and I haven't had a dog since. I guess I deal with tragedy through avoidance. Anyway, we do have a couple of cats right now. My wife is a cat lover, and one of them likes to play fetch. I can throw her anything, and she will bring it back to me.

10. Steverino

Steverino does not look like this.

Vamp, please please consider adopting from an animal shelter. There are so many wonderful dogs (and cats, and other) that need a home. We got Buster from TLC a few miles from our house. TLC updates their site every week and we had been looking at it for a few months and when SWMBO saw his picture (see below), she took the kids there when they opened and found a beautiful, trained, smart, bright friend named Buster. (see also this)
    Please excuse me now, I need a Kleenex.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.