The Perfect Body, Do We need It?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by New Cell, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Cell

New Cell Unleashed Enigma

So many of my numerous associates discuss plastic surgery; for lips, hair, legs with varicose problems, eyes, hips, boobs and so on...
    My B/H friends; I always enjoy your comments regarding my off the topic threads. As in many of my threads, what I most enjoy is your input. Mine is relatively simple in this particular case, you are what you are........n/c ;)

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

*netb decided to keep his comment to his self* Well some people will be more attracted to this person.

JC

3. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or golddigger. ;)

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, that's exactly my opinion. I think plastic surgery is one of the most useless ways to dump money for nothing. I hate to discover that a person has had plastic surgery (except when it's reconstructive, of course). It's like a form of cheating or like wearing a mask.

I met a girl who, erm, tipped the scales a bit too much, and I told her: "don't waste money on a surgery, instead find a man who likes chubby girls". Couple of years later she married me :D :D

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

raspa, you are such a sweet-talker! :D

6. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

I used to be a perfect physical specimen, but nobody took me seriously. So, I put on a few pounds and lost my hair. :rolleyes:

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

All kidding aside, I really don't mind one way or another very much about one's physique. Anybody can be attractive if they simply "maintain" themselves well (hygeine, etc) and present themselves well (demeanor.) I know it's a trite old saying about "beauty comes from within," but I really believe that's true. I've know heavy set folks and others who are truly beautiful people, even physically if they maintain and present themselves well. I've also know people who, while being of "model" proportions and attributes, are downright off-putting simpy due to their personal grooming habits, attitude, etc.

Now, truth be told, I certainly appreciate a person who is "attractive" by societal "norms." But I equally appreciate anyone who can be a good, decent person and a true friend. Frankly, physical attributes only go so far, and they're simply not a major factor for me.

Does that make any sense?

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That makes a lot of sense, Joe. It's very true that there's much more to beauty than physical dimensions, distribution of body fat, or any other of those numbers that conspire to make so many people feel miserable about themselves.

One of the things I hate is how the media and modelling industry set those ridiculuous, outrageous standards of female "beauty", driving young girls to extremes like anorexia and bulimia. Another disgusting thing is the "beauty industries" in some countries that force girls to undergo round after round of surgery to produce the next Miss Universe. I feel just sad for those girls.

9. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

There's also a lot of truth to the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Unfortunately, the beholders often LET themselves be biased by what they are "fed" by the media. The media, in particular visual media, presents a ridiculous "aceptable norm" because that's what sells. It's a vicious cycle: People start to think that's the norm because that's what they see, and they see it because that's what they buy, so they think that's the norm, etc etc etc ad nauseum. It simply isn't reality for most people.

I'll keep my own independent ideas about what's attractive and not. I really don't need a magazine to tell me what is attractive. But impressionable young people are easily influenced by such things. Sad, really. In the end they miss out on a lot of potentially great things while chasing a vaporous dream...

10. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

I have an aversion to knives...well specifically those that cut me open so cosmetic surgery is not an option for me. I chose to work toward the perfect body via exercise. Working out has become therapeutic for me, I now need it to stay sane! :p And not to mention if feels darn good to look into the mirror! :D I am a very competitive person so once I decided that exercise was important I set goals for myself and it was "on" from that point. Once I reached and passed my goals I had to be forced by my gym manager to cut back on my work out regimen. :eek: So now my goal is to maintain what I've achieved...and to add 2 more to my 4 pack. :D

I think it's fine to desire a healthy, athletic body...but today we are overly driven by super skinny and big boobs. I'm just fine with my B cup. :p :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.