The next Palm Foleo or Motorola Atrix Lapdock

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Apr 9, 2018.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That's a very nice gadget, and price seems reasonable too. I know my wife would love that setup, and if it does offer a true "desktop-like experience" it would probably make me reconsider Samsung phones. Of course, the "-like" qualification can mean anything, or nothing at all.

I wonder if the pad's USB ports can accept hard disks, USB hubs, or other accessories besides keyboard and mouse. A USB Ethernet adapter would be great.

jigwashere, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

that reminds me, I've been wondering much the same about my phone, directly without a docking station. more than one USB accessory at a time would be niiiiiiice!

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I just tried this on my G6 and it works just fine. I connected an unpowered four port USB hub to the G6 via an OTG adapter, and it recognizes the keyboard and mouse and a flash memory, all at the same time. However, it does not properly recognize an external hard disk. The disk powers on, LED starts blinking, the G6 does mount it, but under Settings -> Storage it's shown as "corrupted". I guess the G6 can't supply enough power for the disk. I tried connecting the disk directly to the OTG adapter, and the same thing happens. Maybe the disk can work with a powered hub.

So it could be possible to build my own dock, except that the G6 doesn't output video through USB. Maybe I'll call it a next-generation dock with wireless video :D

EDIT: Silly me... I didn't realize that the hard disk was not recognized because it's formatted as NTFS, which normally can't be read on Android devices, although apparently there are ways to enable this (with or without root). A drive formatted to exFAT will be properly recognized and read by Android, at least until the battery runs flat. Guess the pad will have to include some battery power.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

scjjtt, raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Does anyone remember the AT&T Atrix and Atrix 2? They had the right idea but terrible implementation. They offered among other things a dock and a laptop-like device powered by the phone. The problem is that instead of just transposing the phone screen to the laptop, it gave you some kind of very limited 'desktop app.' I believe both the dock and the laptop accommodated hard drives and other USB devices.

There was also the the PadPhone, which worked well, but didn't save you enough money, so you might just as well have bought a phone and a tablet.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. scjjtt

Ed - yes I meant to write Atrix in my thread title but wrote Altrix - I'll change it. I always thought of the Foleo when I would watch their commercials.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  8. scjjtt

My desire is to connect to a monitor. I bought some usb docks for my S4 thinking I would use that. I could connect a mouse with a keyboard via BT. The problem was - it would display the way the phone was standing. The dock cause the phone to display in portrait view on the computer screen - with plenty of black on each side of the phone display. I had to lay the phone on its side in order for the display to fill up the monitor display.

Another problem was some of the edges would be off the display. My monitors resolutions apparently were not good enough.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)