The Next Big Thing

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Drillbit, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The extended version of Samsung's Superbowl commercial. If you listen to the dialog closely, you will note all the subtle attacks on all the other commercials and some other products as well.

[video=youtube;iN7H4t1q0ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iN7H4t1q0ik[/video]

jigwashere likes this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I don't understand, but I want.

3. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Its a bit hinty.

"Last small thing" --- probably another phone. Guess who?
    "Asian rapper" --- Note there is a Super Bowl commercial with PSY on it.
    "Baby with diapers" --- What company uses a TV commercial with a baby in diapers? Clue: it trades in stocks.
    "sending you to a galaxy" --- What company has a commercial, particularly, a Super Bowl one, that sends someone to space?

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I thought it was dumb. And the people I was watching the game with did too -- we were talking quite a bit about the ads, and the only response anyone made at the end of the Samsung one was "Uhh".

5. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I'll watch it on friday when my broadband cap rolls over and I come back off throttled dial up speed ;)

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Seth Rogen always makes me laugh but he didn't say ANYTHING that made me want to buy a Galaxy S3.

EdmundDantes likes this.
  7. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

It seemed to me that a huge number of the ads this year were just badly executed: either too cute by half, or ineffectively stupid. How the hell do these companies toss out $3.8 million dollars for 30 seconds of airtime, and not think to do something actually interesting with it?

jigwashere and EdmundDantes like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Given the amount of money spent and the opportunity to do something special, I'm shocked that even one of the companies would fail, much less all of them.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Although I can't disagree that some of the ads were flops, I enjoyed more than one, at least enough to recall the product -- specifically the Doritos dress-up Dad, and the Clydesdale foal (Budweiser). ;)

jigwashere likes this.
  10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I kind of expect it from some commercials: car commercials are rarely any better than what they run during the year, and beer commercials are almost always terrible with the sole exception recently of the Clydesdales. (Bud's "Black Crown" ads lived down to expectations though, being almost hilariously bad examples of how not to make an ad.) But it seemed to me that the only ads that really stood out were the Dodge and Jeep ones.

EdmundDantes likes this.
  11. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I also thought the Black Crown and Bud Light ads were awful. The BC ads were generic; but I don't think the Bud Light ads even made sense. How do thwarted fans enhance Bud Light's image?

12. RickAgresta

did you miss the GoDaddy! commercial, then? *that* stood out as exceptionally BAD. I'm not a model (nor do I play one on TV), so I can truthfully say I have no issues with less than Hollywood hunks kissing beautiful women....but the specifics in that ad were just evil (imho ;) )

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

GoDaddy's ad wasn't just bad, it was offensive. I agree with this take on it:

GoDaddy: smart and sexist | The Verge Forums

RickAgresta likes this.
  14. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

I thought little vader was pretty awesome whatever year that happened. I couldn't have told you what car company it was 30 seconds later, much less now, but I still liked it.

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  15. RickAgresta

lelisa13p and Mi An like this.
  16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It was fun, but it was also another ad that has basically nothing to do with the product. What did anyone learn from that besides the fact that the Passat has remote engine start (not a unique feature nowadays)?

17. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

As you can note, I didn't even learn that much. If Rick hadn't posted it, I wouldn't even know what a passat was.

I'm all for commercials being more entertaining than useful to the companies that pay for them, FWIW.

18. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

What actually are they trying to sell? or is it just a brand recognition thing convincing people how cool Samsung is?

19. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Remember the old Superbowl commercial about cowboys who herded cats? :D

What happened to creativity? Mad Ave has gotten lazy and stupid.

Mi An likes this.
  20. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I think it's ridiculous for huge namebrands to shell out all the $ for Superbowl commercials and for what? I mean, Coca Cola? Really? Do they need to advertise....like...at all? Does Budweiser? To some extent, does Samsung? No, they probably shouldn't rest on their recent success, but I don't think they need to fork out big $ for a Superbowl ad.

I think these company's marketing teams just need to be reined in.....or fired. Not sure which.

Adama D. Brown likes this.