The Latest on the Sidekick 3

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has given T-Mobile permission to release the next version of the Sidekick cellular-wireless handheld in the United States. Rumors of this device have been circulating for some time, but this is the first hard evidence on it to emerge.

In its FCC filing , Sharp -- the maker of this device -- asked for complete confidentiality, but&this government agency&still posted some documents and images of the Sidekick 3 that confirm many of the rumors about it. These make it clear that this will be a breakthrough model for the Sidekick line as it will include many features not in any previous model.

[​IMG]Specifically, it is now confirmed that this will be the first Sidekick with support for Bluetooth short-range wireless networking. This will allow owners of this device to use wireless headsets and possibly exchange files.

Also, an image on the FCC site clearly shows that this device will have a miniSD slot, something no previous Sidekick has had.

And this will be the first Sidekick with a removable battery.

In addition, an image on the FCC site clearly shows that this device will have a 1.3 megapixel camera with flash.

Changes and Non-Changes

Not everything about this device has changed. The Sidekick 3 will apparently resemble its predecessors' shape, including a color screen that pivots aside to reveal a miniature keyboard.

However, there will be a joystick added to the right of the keyboard, in addition to the D-pad on the left side.

When the Sidekick 3 will debut, and what it will cost, are not yet known. Still it is likely to be available in the next month or so. In its FCC filing, Sharp asked for 45 days of confidentiality on all information on this device, a strong indication that it will hit the market soon.

Thanks to MobileHipster.com for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Very nice changes for teh Sidekick. People will have a harder time convinciing themselves for a BB or Treo just because a SK3 is considered more "hip."

3. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for the Sidekick. I used the Sidekick II and got it for like $199 when it was first released and I thought it was well worth the money, I'm excited to see the III and the form factor. Besides being "hip" a la Paris Hilton carrying the thing, the keyboard is so darn usable and it's overall fun and easy to use. Not a business tool by any means, but it has its place.

4. Brian

Brian Mobile Deity

It's a kids device or for the independent or small business that doesn't use enterprise tools. It doesn't belong in the same conversation as any of the mainstream smartphones out there. That said, I hope they do well with it, Palm and others could learn something about getting a cheap smartphone to market with more mass appeal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.