the humming when the TC is near my ear

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ilili, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilili

ilili Newbie

Occasionally, I found that there is anonying humming heard from the front of Tungsten C when it is near the ear. Is it normal or malfunction of some parts?

2. jawbone

jawbone Feeble minded fool

I recall something about the speaker chirping from some of the older models - mine is quite as a mouse no noise whatsoever.
    But I do remember there being a fix on the palm website for it too
    I looked briefly and didnt find it but I thought the 2.0 update fixed that too....hmmmm

another way to look at it

it seems the logical solution is to keep the unit in your Palm. After all its not an EarPilot

:D

3. ilili

ilili Newbie

As the warranty for my set will be over recently, I want to know whether it is malfunction.

4. jawbone

you know I got to thinking about this and you said it was near the front - I wonder if your light or screen is causing the noise ??

5. ilili

ilili Newbie

Should be no, because the noise source is in the center of the screen excluding the physical keyboard. and I can not hear it from the back cover.

6. ilili

ilili Newbie

Hi, I have gotten th reply from palmone support....

here is it...

With regards to your concern, we would like to inform you that some Tungsten handheld models tend to "hum gently to themselves" with a high-pitched buzz either when the device is plugged into the charger or by itself. The degree of noisiness depends on your surroundings: if you're in a typical office setting, you probably won't notice it, but if you're in a very quiet room it may be more audible or if you hold the handheld up to your ear. Also, with the Transflective TFT color Screen Display technology that we are using (started with the Tungsten C and Zire 71 and now used all new handheld models), they seem to amplify the buzzing noise that is generated by the electronic components on the handheld.

The high pitched buzz doesn't damage the handheld or any of the components. To some people it will probably be an annoyance if they have very sensitive hearing but there's no danger from the noise and the buzzing does not indicate a malfunction with the handheld. There is no software or hardware patch that will fix the problem. Two exact Tungsten C handhelds compared back to back might have a higher or lower pitched buzz noise from the other so the level of high pitched buzz will not be the same from device to device."

7. matiasdelalastr

matiasdelalastr Mobile Deity

If it helps you, I have the same problem... It's strange, I can hear it from a short distance (2 meters) but only if the palm screen is pointing at me. Otherwise, I can't hear it... It's not very annoying for me except when I'm very concentrated on something and i start hearing it.

8. FCE

FCE Mobile Enthusiast

guys i also have this problem....and this is the answer of palm support.

Thank you for writing to palmOne? Technical Support.

This is xxxx, and I am responding to your issue with regard to your Tungsten C.

I understand that your handheld is emitting a hum. I regret the inconvenience it is causing to you.

However, you may sometimes hear a quiet hum from your handheld when you are using it. The humming is caused by the power supply coupling with the speaker circuit. The humming is normal and does not indicate any kind of malfunction. If you have a non-color screen, it is also normal for this noise to increase when using the backlight feature of your handheld.

9. jawbone

d??j? vu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psychology. The illusion of having already experienced something actually being experienced for the first time.

An impression of having seen or experienced something before: Old-timers watched the stock-market crash with a distinct sense of d?j? vu.
    Dull familiarity; monotony: the d?j? vu of the tabloid headlines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Ben S

Ben S Mobile Deity

A slight hum is perfectly normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.