The End (of IDEN) is near.

Discussion in 'Sprint PCS' started by LandSurveyor, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Sprint selects network project vendors, will start shutting down iDEN in 2013 - FierceWireless

There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. The construction and other outdoor types have reported being unimpressed with Sprint's existing non-IDEN PTT service. Hope they step up their game now. At least they will be able to offer a smartphone-worthy data service with their new PTT.

AFAIK, SouthernLINC has no plans to change any time soon so southerners in the real hinterlands are safe, and still 3G-less. Not even sure if theirs qualifies as 1G.

2. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This Super Moderator

I used to do phone support for Boost Mobile back when they ran only on the Sprint Nextel iDEN, and I have to say, you'd be better off with two tin cans and a string. :eek:

3. LandSurveyor

Oh, It wouldn't do for me at all. I often work in very remote areas where coverage is a big issue. I have friends in the construction business, though, and even though they cuss it for its lack of coverage, they have too many contacts on the system to abandon it. It's a community all its own, like the FM commercial radios that preceded it.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

The nextel id is somewhat like the blackberry pin. It is a proprietary number that you can use to contact somebody through a proprietary communication channel. In Sprint's case, it's push to talk. In blackberry's case, it is a text message that doesn't pass through carrier servers and is thus free.

Of course the limitations of these two are very similar. Both require the parties at both ends to be using the proprietary device or service. Many BB users ignore their pin. When I had a PTT phone, I found that I racked up dozens of nextel id's for my contacts. I changed jobs and got away from Nextel. Nextel/IDEN coverage was so horrible, I didn't mind losing that capability one bit. But if I was still working with the company that required it, I'd still be forced to use it.

Just as text messages can be used across carriers, PTT needs to become a standard so you aren't "locked in" to using a particular carrier just so you can reach the people you need to reach via PTT. To me this IDEN vs non IDEN PTT is yet another example of the inability of the US to properly regulate technology. It should be possible to send have text go anywhere, txt message to ichat to aim to email and back again. It should be possible to have PTT go anywhere IDEN to Skype, etc.

5. LandSurveyor

Yep, never used my BB pin either.

People on Nextel get stuck with it because they collect so many PTT contacts and, as you point out, can't migrate and carry it with them. Nextel users' only choice will be to stay with Sprint. At least they should get an improved coverage area on Sprint's CDMA. But if one has to move and must have PTT, Verizon would be the better choice. Since both are CDMA (although, I believe Verizon has some PTT on its 3g network), Verizon and Sprint should be able to intercommunicate, just as they roam on each other for voice calls. But Sprint has more to gain than to lose by this so why would they cooperate?

6. LandSurveyor

7. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Well in my house nextel is pretty much the only carrier with a strong signal, so personally i'm going to be hurting when they pull the plug unless someone else steps up to the plate.

8. LandSurveyor

I don't think it will be shut off until 2013, by which time, they expect to have everybody migrated to CDMA PTT. Then they will start using that spectrum (700 mhz, I think) for CDMA also.

You have a pretty peculiar situation if Nextel is all that reaches you. I mostly hear complaints about its lack of coverage. unless the low-frequency makes it able to penetrate inside your home? In my area, Sprint doesn't even reach my house and I'm only 6 miles or so from town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.