The Disaster...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JRakes, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Well, my past couple of weeks of bliss and exhuberance has officially turned to $h!t. And that's putting it mildly... :(

After work tonight, enjoying a delightful, starlit, evening ride with the top down (to close Mother's mini-storage business as I do every night,) it happened: Some jerk-wad pulled out in front of me. Well, actually, he didn't "pull out," as that would imply that he'd previously stopped. He was turning left from the oncoming lanes and drove right across in front of me. There was another car sitting in the turn-across thing and I never even saw him coming. By the time I could even reach the brake pedal, I'd T-boned him! Now, his car definitely came out worse than Miss Margarita - He was in a fairly recent model Honda, and 3 tons of iron and steel going 50 mph can do a lot of damage to such a car. (I doubt that he could fit all the parts that went flying into it afterwards.) And, fortunately, nobody was injured. But Miss M is a disaster, to say the least. The entire front end is a loss, as is everything back to the right rear quarter. And the left fender is damaged, although the primary impact was the right-front. I'm not sure if the left fender is pushed back into the driver's door - That door opens and closes, but it doesn't "feel right." Even the inside rear-view mirror is somewhere in the floor (along with half the things from my pockets, a half-gallon of tea, and various other things.)

I did manage to drive the car home, as it was only a couple of miles. But there is definitely something majorly wrong in the front suspension / driveline - Checking that is one of the reasons I drove it home. I'd called a buddy, more for moral support than anything else, and he followed me home to be sure I didn't get stranded somewhere. The car is definitely not safely driveable at this point. Ironically, just this evening at work, several people were asking about the car sitting in the parking lot, and some asked to talk to me about it. A couple of coworkers commented, "That car gets so much attention - You don't ever get any peace when you're driving it!" I said, "You should go with me to the store. And you have no idea how many comments I get sitting at traffic lights."

Anyway, the kid that caused my trauma is a delivery driver for Papa John's Pizza, and he was returning from a delivery. Papa John's is right there where the crash occurred, and those guys have pulled across in front of me there several times causing near misses. But that other car was sitting in the middle this time (waiting on traffic) and I doubt that kid saw me coming, just as I didn't see him coming. So... SMACK! POW! I skidded to the side of the rode. He was knocked in a 360 and landed in the side-access street / alley. He was cited for "Failure to yield." And he said he probably doesn't have a job any more. (I don't think those places look favorably upon driver crashes.)

So, a glorious day has turned into "he!! night." I'm physically OK, I think, but I'm emotionally traumatized, to say the least. I don't know whether to hit something or cry... I can get a copy of the police report on Thursday, and I've already contacted my insurance company. They should be calling me back to follow-up in the morning. My big concern, though, is how badly his insurance (at least he HAS insurance!) will try to screw me. I'll give them the benefit of a doubt, though. Initially. But if they think they can cut me a check for a few thousand $$$ and satisfy me, they'll have a battle on their hands. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I know how insurance companies work, and I will go to whatever lengths are needed to be "made whole." And if they really want to push it, I'll come up with all manner of injuries and bury them in medical costs. I was in a "dangerous" convertible with the top down, after all, and I am getting a little sore...

Sorry I didn't get any more pictures yet after I got her all cleaned and primped up. I suspect those won't ever be now. But we'll see if they want to try and repair the car, or just write it off and replace it. Neither option will be easy, or cheap! Finding replacement parts is very difficult, and they carry a $$$ premium. And depending on what is actually wrong in the front suspension / driveline, the cost could go up even more significantly.

Now, I wonder if I can actually get any sleep tonight... And I really wish I hadn't recently weened off my heart meds (for SVT.)

Joe-Boy

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Joe,

I am so sorry to learn of your accident, and hopefully you will not wake with any pains in the morning.

Also, that the other driver is apparently uninjured.

Just a suggestion, if you have a camera, return to the site and take photos of the area and if skid marks are present, try to get a good measure reference.

Will be thinking of you, take care!;)

3. JRakes

Thanks, Bab. Actually, the police took all sorts of pics, did their little digital diagrams, etc. I don't think there are any skid marks, except possibly where Pizza Boy did his 360. There was a lot of debris in the road, but it was pretty much all from his car. Miss M looks quite bad, but big chunks didn't go flying like his rear bumper, most of his glass, and a fair amount of his trim. One of the advantages of riding in "real steel," I suppose...

Oh, ironically, there by the roadside I removed the "parade boot" (the hard cover for the lowered top) and stowed it, raised the top, and closed the car up. The police officers commented on how nice the car was, including how nice the top was, and how neat the whole thing worked. I didn't find any real comfort in that... :(

I suspect I'll have some soreness by morning, especially from the seat belt. And I've found a small cut on my knee, but nothing noteworthy. The worst thing right now is a killer headache, which might be due to stress as much as anything else. I'm also getting into QUITE a grumpy mood...

Oh, one other thing: Palmie took a bath in that half-gallon of sweet tea (which is now standing in a puddle in the front floor of the car.) I found him under a couple of other things, dripping wet. He was in the zippered leather case, of course, but some of the tea leaked in due to the inundation. Now something is wonky with the sound. I don't know if it's from being flung into the dash at 50 mph or moisture, but I'll be checking that out further!

Ugh... Time for a quiet sit down outside with the cats...

Joe-Boy

4. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

I'm very sorry for you, JRakes. :(
    (PM coming)

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Oh, man. As somebody who's still mad that his last car wouldn't pass inspection again (and that being due only to age and frame rot from before I owned it) I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Do check yourself out in the morning--sometimes you don't realize you've pulled a muscle or the like until well after the fact.

6. JRakes

Thanks, Adama! Yes, I'll be paying attention to my "body's language" in the morning, and will get medical attention if anything is wrong. I am getting somewhat more sore as the night wears on, especially where the seatbelt grabbed my gut. Hopefully it's just minor (and "normal") muscle soreness, but we'll see...

Right now I just wish I could get rid of this headache and get some sleep!

OK, I'm gonna try to get to sleep...

'Night, All!

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

oh man Joe I am sorry to hear this. afraid to say, 'yup, you're right about insurance companies' :( :mad: hope Palmie's okay, and you, of course. poor Miss M *very sad face* talk to you later, bud

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

Joe, I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I'm sure Papa John's carries insurance that will get your car put back the way it belongs. Turning left in front of traffic is definitely wrong, so there shouldn't be any haggling about liability. Did the cops issue the young man a ticket on the spot? They should. If not, contact them and ask them to do so. It makes a lot of difference to the insurance, even with so-called "no fault" laws.

9. LeftCoastNerdGirl

LeftCoastNerdGirl Mobile Deity

I'm so sorry, Joe-Boy! I'm really glad you're ok but the damage to Miss M must be heartbreaking. Sending lots of hugs (and a nice massage because you're gonna be one hurting boy this morning!) to cheer you. [​IMG]

10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Hey Joe, I am so sorry to hear about this...car accidents are scary in and of themselves. So sorry to hear about the car/palm damage as well.

I went through something similar about a year and a half ago, so I sympathize wholeheartedly. Keep us posted on your righteous fight against the insurance companies! I've studied insurance far more than I ever wanted to for work, so if you run into any weird issues feel free to PM me, and I can consult my textbooks to see if there's anything I can tell you to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.