The Dimple

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mi An, May 6, 2014.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

raspabalsa, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

raspabalsa and Mi An like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

bummer, dudes:

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I think those Dimples are a pretty interesting way of making use of NFC. I miss the keyboard on my Palm 755p with the ability to simply press and hold a key to dial a contact or open an app. Seriously. On my LG G2, I have to pattern swipe to unlock it, select the dialer, then press and hold a key to "speed dial." With a Dimple, I could actually speed dial someone. Sign me up! :)

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

That *would* open up a whole new meaning to 'touch-typing' :newpalm:

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, this is a very interesting product. Apart from speed dialing, I can think of using a set to control an audio player. Right now it's too cumbersome to control the player from the screen's lock screen. A set of dimples placed on the back or on the front flap of a case will be a much better way to control it.

Wonder how well these buttons work in games... I miss Palm devices with a lot of hardware buttons. My Xperia Z1 has large bezels, and it looks like a set could fit on the front of the device and not look too ugly.

RickAgresta, Mi An and Hook like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

My desired use is to turn pages in ebooks. I miss my TP2's form factor very, very, very much (though I don't miss the display). Yes, I used the keyboard as a keyboard often enough, but even more often I used it in book form to turn pages while reading at night, and I've never found a way to do that that is even close to as comfortable. When I first got my N4, I used volume buttons, which wasn't super comfortable, but workable, until within one week the buttons went squishy and I feared for their longevity. I now primarily turn pages with Moon+'s tilt to turn option (or with my kindle's bezel buttons). If one of these worked at a comfortably reachable location on the back of my device, it would be wonderful. It still wouldn't be as easy to hold as my TP2 was, but there are other ways to deal with that.

Do you have a z1 phone or tab? To my knowledge, only one tablet has been found with nfc strong enough to allow dimples on the front, and I think it was a sony, but it was a tablet too. Just FYI.

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Ah, yet another possible use. I don't enjoy swiping to turn pages, neither in Kindle nor Moon Reader.
    I have a Z1 phone. I'm guessing the dimples may work on the front, since the body is glass. However, I don't have any other NFC device nearby to test.

Regarding games, seems the dimples are not yet ready for them. From their FAQ:
    I'm really getting to like this concept. Anybody going to get a set? Would be nice to see a review.

Mi An likes this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'm definitely getting one. I can't decide if I might want more than one.

On the one hand, these seem like things that would be pretty long-lived, and they're cheaper per unit the more you get. On the other hand, there's that interesting version 2 looming in the relatively near future.

Edit: I went ahead and put in for just one. Ultimately, if this "flexible funding" (they get the money even if they don't reach their goal) campaign goes bad, I'm not gonna feel too bad about it since I still to show my support for buttons. It's an expensive way to vote, but in a world where buttons are endangered, someone has to rise to the occasion. And if everything does work out, I'll probably get a v2 as well down the line.

FWIW, Dimple hit 60% of their goal in about one day. It's taken two more days to get to 77% as, presumably, the initial earned media faded. I'm hopeful that they have additional coverage in the pipeline, perhaps by sending some first run dimples out for blogger preview purposes.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    raspabalsa and Hook like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

20140509073606-dimple-versions.jpg
    This new mini offer is great. If I place one full size set of buttons carefully, they'll be very comfortable to use for right-handed page-turning but not left. This is part of why I considered ordering two, so that I could have ideal placement for ambidextrous reading. Now I get two, problem solved. :D