The day my SERO plan died...

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by headcronie, Nov 5, 2017.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

The day was the 3rd of November, 2017. It was a dreary, cold and wet afternoon. This was the day my 10 year old SERO plan died. There was no fanfare, there was no notice. It simply vanished. Upon inspection of the deceased, a small popup notification was on my display, something largely unintelligible to the common masses. I didn't make note of it, as I was trudging back to the store for the 4th time in one week. The store reps recognized me by this point. I felt naked. I couldn't control my own plan now, as I was now on my parent's plan. My days and years of calling into Sprint to get a specialty phone queue with immediate service were over. I'd come to terms that I'd have to wait untold minutes for customer service over the phone now.

Please stay tuned for the next installment of this series after church break...
    [queue commercial break]

weegie, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  2. headcronie

Background:
    My Note 5 was acting flaky. Wifi would connect and disconnect at home without reason. None of my other devices acted this way. I only had the Note 5, as my Note 4 went wonky. A bad firmware update essentially destroyed the GPS on those units. I despised not having a user removable battery, or external memory. That feeling never ceased. My battery was also not holding charge well. I had to keep my phone on the charger at work. That was with the device on the wireless network, with a special hole punched in the firewall to allow my device unfiltered access to the web. I have strong cellular signal in my office, so it shouldn't be draining looking for signal either. Had I been able to affordably change my battery, I'd likely not be sitting here in this thread today. Yes Samsung, I'm pissed off at you and likely will never be happy with a sealed device, ever. Give me user replaceable batteries!

Smart Switch:
    Stop and think before you do this, or let the store employee do this for you. It's billed as a great time saving tool, to migrate the state of your device to your new device. It tries its best to do so, but there are some extremely critical security exposures that may be of concern based on how you use your device. This utility scrapes your device for contacts, files, software, settings and more and then copies them over to your new device. What this does NOT do, is copy your accounts over to your new device. So, say you have strictly confidential files that are somehow segregated from your regular files on your original device. They won't be segregated on your new device, as there is no account that it gets migrated with. This is especially true of contacts. It scrapes your contacts from all accounts, and deposits them on your new device without any account association. So should you have any work policies that allow your employer to remotely wipe their account from your device, this "Smart Switch" has effectively defeated that entire mechanism as this data is now unassigned, and likely to be swallowed up by your Samsung Account. Smart Switch also failed to migrate multiple pieces of paid and free software. None of these had issue installing to my new device, but they did not migrate with this utility. User be warned...

Note 8:

I've only had minimal time to fiddle with my Note 8 since I purchased it on Friday. I've returned voice recognition to Google, and disabled Bixby's speech recognition on the keyboard. Google already has my voice. I don't need yet another vendor knowing my search, identity, voice, etc.

My Note 8 failed to update time for daylight savings time last night. I woke up at 5am. That is a grand failure in my opinion. My Note 5, was on the charger and woke me up correctly as it updated the time correctly. Had this been spring, instead of fall, I would have been in a world of hurt. I was shorted an hour of sleep at worst. I'm grumpy now, and fearful for spring. I don't have or use any other alarm clock. I'm waiting to see if there are other reports of Note 8 devices failing to adjust time accordingly.

I'll be ordering a case for my device today. Likely another Spigen case with kickstand. Far cheaper than the offerings at the store, and just as robust.

I'm still learning what this device can do vs the Note 5. I've gone through the settings menus on each, comparing side by side, and there are multiple locations where the Note 8 has more features. I'm still digging, and have not yet had time to play with many of them.

For now, I've gotten my apps I rely on installed, and signed into. I've got a mess of contacts from all my accounts on my device without association. I may just wipe all the unassociated contacts, if I can figure out how. I'd hate to nuke my legit associated contacts.

And... I've got to get some new charging cables. Or, USB-C adapters. But at least my phone isn't dropping 10% battery for 15 minutes of screen time... so I've got some time to get those cables figured out.

SERO:
    Alas, my SERO plan is gone. I'm now on my parent's family plan. Minutes, texts, and data are all unlimited. Plan now includes 10GB of tethering as well. After purchasing the phone, my monthly cost will be less on this plan, than it would have been had I tried to stay on my old plan. If I pay off my device early, my monthly payment will be less than half of what I was paying on my old plan. My SERO plan was amazing back in the day. Now, it's a claim to fame if you still have one, but not overly practical. At some point, I had to say enough was enough... I've got my wife's schooling to pay for, so every penny counts. I can get the phone I want, and pay less for it than I could on my own, so SERO was no more...

And now, I must prepare to take my wife to the airport as she departs for her next leg of her journey on her doctoral program.

For the scant few that still happen upon this cobwebbed place, should you have questions, just drop em here. I'll try to get them answered best I can.

HC out...

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Thanks for posting. SERO served me well back in the day, but I'm ready to move on, too. I'm in no immediate hurry, and have to make sure the contact had been fulfilled (renewed when I used it to buy a subsidized iPhone for my wife).

My contract ends June 12, 2018.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2017
    weegie, scjjtt, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  4. headcronie

Phone charging issue... back to the store I go...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

It's all good, hc. :vbsmile: My son has been on my AT&T wireless account since his first cellphone in 2003. It just makes good financial sense for us. My DIL is still on her parents' plan, too. Nowadays it doesn't seem important to keep that stuff separated, as long as everyone is a good credit risk. :vbsmile:

Sorry for your return trip to the store. :vbfrown:

6. jigwashere

Tell me about the family plan you're on. What I see is $110 for the first two lines and $35 for each additional line. If I did 5 lines, that'd be $43 per line.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  7. headcronie

Educator discount plan, from what I can tell. Dad says they have this - (sorry for poor image, sister took a snapshot of her screen at school.)

[​IMG]

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. headcronie

And now I cannot replicate issue. My car charger may be going bad? Have to see what happens tonight. No way I can claim an issue if I cannot replicate. Sitting at home, with my new phone, and missing my wife.

9. headcronie

Times are a changing. Financial independence was the goal to achieve. Feels weird going back under their care, so to speak. I am thankful for the opportunity to pay lower rates though. :)

10. jigwashere

Financial independence is a good goal, but with family, so is financial interdependence: You work together and everyone benefits! I don't know your situation, but I doubt you're really "under their care." In fact, given your expertise, my guess is you're reciprocating with support not only with their smartphones, but in other areas of technology as well. Interdependence is better than independence IMHO. :newpalm: