The Daily Loose Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tlacour, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

[Serious Mode]
    :eek: 1,000 mg max each 12 hour period for acetaminophen. 800 mg max each 8 hour period for ibuprofen. There's no limit on hot baths / showers, though. Nor on massages :rolleyes:

Oh, and no drinking with either of those, particularly acetaminophen - That stuff is a liver killer on its own, more so with any drinkie-poos!
    [/Serious Mode]

2. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

Thanks - you take good care of me :)

<cassi verrrry reluctantly hides the elixir bottle from herself>

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

He has ulterior motives methinks:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the prang Cassi. Women drivers eh......

4. noobette

noobette AKA skeletal_surfer

Cassi, be careful with Tylenol! Most people have no idea that it actually has a very small safe dosage range. If you take more than 4000 mg in a 24 hour period, it can seriously damage your liver. That's only 8 extra-strength Tylenol. I have seen several people in my short (~5 years) career as a nurse with Tylenol-induced liver damage. It's a common drug to use for an attention-getting suicide attempt, when people don't really intend on killing themselves. This often results in a liver so damaged that a transplant is needed. The general public doesn't have a clue how dangerous Tylenol can be. I think there needs to be a public education effort so people don't overuse or OD on Tylenol. But of course, the all-powerful drug companies wouldn't go for that. There was a new warning added to the Tylenol label recently, but not many people read the labels carefully. I'm not saying you shouldn't use Tylenol -- I use it fairly often myself for headaches -- but it needs to be used with care. You can alternate with ibuprofen, or take them together.

5. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

Thank you noobette! I would guess that most of the public has no clue of this side effect. I seldom use Tylenol as it does not work for me, just happened to be what I had at home.

Thanks again,

cassi

6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I take acetaminphen (Tylenol) regularly, myself, but along with ibuprofen (Advil.) Acetaminophen alone doesn't seem to help me, but in combination with the ibuprofen, it's great.

Another thing that most folks aren't aware of regarding overuse of acetaminophen is that it's already included in so many other meds. Almost all OTC remedies, for anything from a cold to aunt-sally-makes-me-sick-and-this-will-fix-it has at least some acetaminophen. And the max dosage on many of those is actually for the acetaminophen rather than some other "active ingredient." Same is true for lots of prescription pain meds - Look on your bottle of post-surgical pain meds or such - Anything that says "[drug-name]-APAP" has acetaminophen.

The point, I suppose, is that most folks take far more of the stuff than they ever realize, and accidently taking WAY too much is probably very wide-spread.

Like Noob, I'm not suggesting that acetaminophen is a bad med, just that one should be very careful with it (as with all such "chemical modifiers.")

Hope you feel better, Cassi!

<Joe-Boy casts a glance at BF, then wonders if Cassi has a Brother... Then he looks back at BF, thinking something entirely different :rolleyes: >

7. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Sorry to hear about your accident, Cassi. :(
    But I'm glad that (overall) you're mostly ok. :)
    But I haven't seen you on yet today so maybe you're not feeling as well as you were. :(
    On the other hand, you know that all your friends here (especially me) support you and wish you well. :)

8. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

<H noticing a pattern in the smileys ...>

9. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

Thanks for the good thoughts (hugs)

I just love spending Monday mornings in my jammies and getting paid:newpalm: (President's Day)

cassi

10. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

Thanks Nine - just another fluff piece - all is well :)

(well except by both my car and my own rear quarters)

:) :D :)

cassi

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.